• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taylored cycling jacket ?

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marco_rol
While I like the Rapha jacket as a cycling jacket, not sure I'd want to wear it to the office once I actually got to the office. Secondly, as someone else suggested, I think it'd be easier to pick up a nice inexpensive commuter bike with an upright riding position than retailor my wardrobe just for riding.

It appears (given the lack of response to the upright-styled bicycle idea) that folks are more interested in funky niche apparel. From a practicality standpoint I cannot wrap my head around that reaction... but this is Styleforum.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by random-adam
It appears that folks are more interested in funky niche apparel...

Originally Posted by lakewolf
did you notice the back pocket detail ? truly thought by cyclists for cyclists
thumbs-up.gif

No, I had missed that- it makes me laugh every time I see it. I like it.
laugh.gif

that_was_easy

Reaction score
Nau's got a few offerings that may do the trick, like their half-lined (I think) Vice Blazer

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about a racing bike here with 3" saddle to bars drop .... more a light touring bike but that one has still some drop and road handlebars but has chain protectors and fenders etc.

I'm already doing it now, but my jackets are suffering. I'll go the alternative wardbrobe option for the moment, on a cycling jacket and carrying the suit jacket on the bag...

anyway I am interested in options and experiences.

Schorsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
However I have to go to work on suit and tie and my bikes have all a sportive setup ( low handlebars ) so I have a bit of a problem when I ride on a suit jacket, the jacket would need more room at the back to allow me the right position.

Raise your handlebars. There's no reason a man confident enough to ride a bike wearing a suit should be a sissy about riding in an upright position. Get a stem with some rise, and some standard handlebars with some sweep. They look fine on older road bikes, as well. Get some proper fenders, if you haven't already.

cbird

Reaction score
I don't know if such a thing is still made, but about 15 years ago I bought a garment bag pannier. It was a nylon garment bag with a stiff inner side with hooks that allowed it to be draped over a rear rack and attached to it in the same way touring panniers are attached. It allowed me to carry clothes without having to fold or to roll them and without causing wrinkles. I believe it was made by the Jandd (Jannd?) company.

cbird

Reaction score
Just checked, Jandd still makes a garment bag pannier, look for it on their website.

Icehawk

Reaction score
That back pocket is useless - it's flapped, small, and on the right. You can't get your right hand into it and I doubt your left could either while riding.

Be aware your jacket is only one part of the problem - your trousers are likely loose fitting too and now you have chainring/chain worries too.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
Be aware your jacket is only one part of the problem - your trousers are likely loose fitting too and now you have chainring/chain worries too.
True, but if your trousers don't have much extra room in the thighs they'll wear out much faster from biking - it just seems like there's a lot more stress on the crotch. For cycling you probably ideally want loose thighs and not too much extra room around the lower leg.

HPress

Reaction score
For a 10 block commute, get an upright bike with a chain guard for $100. End of discussion.

wing8tes_qw

Reaction score
where are you going to store the bike? Its not too professional to have a bike lying around your office. ..also cyclist

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads