• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talk to me about the classic Navy Blazer

N8ter

Reaction score
I have decided to add this staple to my wardrobe, but I want it to be something that is more leaning toward formal so I can wear it for business when a suit isn't called for, but need to have a jacket. I have looked at and tried a few different options on a thin budget (300 or less) and have purchased two options I am trying to decide between. Neither has patch pockets, but I am ok with that, as again, I don't mind leaning a bit formal.

Please take a look and below and offer some suggestions as to fit and style:

Option 1: JAB Joseph Blazer - I like the fabric better than other option - 100% wool and more texture - more like a hopsack weave. Has pick stitching. Shoulders more pronounced. Bigger in the waist. The back looks kind of a mess around the shoulders and sleeves. Is this a fit issue and can it be fixed?

Option 2: BB Fitzgerald Blazer - Fabric is more suit-like - worsted. 98% wool, 2% lastol. More natural shoulder. Would replace brass buttons with MOP.

Any thoughts appreciated.

bigtimebuck4

Reaction score
Fitz for sure. JAB needs serious blade work and the cut isn't nearly as flattering. How did you score the BB Fitz jacket for $300?

N8ter

Reaction score
Fitz for sure. JAB needs serious blade work and the cut isn't nearly as flattering. How did you score the BB Fitz jacket for $300?
Thanks for the quick reply. BB is having a 30% sale right now on most of their jackets. I am assuming the blade work on the JAB wouldn't be inexpensive or easy to fix?

Sam3L

Reaction score
That Fitz looks 100x better, especially in the shoulder, arm, and back. Not sure if it can be fixed since it's probably a product of internal construction and not just the cut.

glenjay

Reaction score

Option 2:  BB Fitzgerald Blazer - Fabric is more suit-like - worsted.  98% wool,  2% lastol.  More natural shoulder.  Would replace brass buttons with MOP.  

Why would you replace the brass buttons on a navy blazer? The brass buttons are part of what defines a navy blazer. Without the brass buttons you just have a navy blue worsted wool sport coat. If that's what you want then stop looking at blazers and look at the broader selection of sport coats (solid or pattern).

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The BBFitz is much better. Get the sleeves shortened. And never again take a fit photo without your shoes on.

And get your trousers shortened too. They're way too long.

Congrats on scoring the jacket at discount! :D

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Why would you replace the brass buttons on a navy blazer? The brass buttons are part of what defines a navy blazer. Without the brass buttons you just have a navy blue worsted wool sport coat. If that's what you want then stop looking at blazers and look at the broader selection of sport coats (solid or pattern).
Plenty of navy blazers have MOP.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, the Fitzgerald looks much better. The JAB does not look nearly as good and even if you can fix some of the issues with alterations, it probably still will not look as good as the Fitzgerald. One thing; I'd avoid mother of pearl buttons. I have a lighter navy linen jacket for summer and they look great on it, but I'd get brown horn on something like this.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go down a size in each and see how they look. Could be worse, could be better.

N8ter

Reaction score
I tired a size down in the Fitz and it was too snug across the chest/under the arms. So the size I have on in the pic is the closest fit available in everything I tried. I also am aware of the historical connotations of the brass buttons on a navy blazer, but they just aren't my favorite style. I will, however, replace them with something that contrasts enough to be able to distinguish the jacket as a blazer.

rob

Reaction score
On the front facing shots, the balance is off on both. The lower hem on the viewers right is way lower than the one on the left. That probably has more to do with your shoulders and may be an issue on any jacket you have. The tailors around here should be able to weigh in on how difficult that change is.

Good luck.

Rob

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tired a size down in the Fitz and it was too snug across the chest/under the arms. So the size I have on in the pic is the closest fit available in everything I tried. I also am aware of the historical connotations of the brass buttons on a navy blazer, but they just aren't my favorite style. I will, however, replace them with something that contrasts enough to be able to distinguish the jacket as a blazer.
MOP are mostly used for very light weight and/or color summer jackets.I have a winter weight cashmere Belvest blazer that has dark horn buttons. It still looks like a blazer.

N8ter

Reaction score
One more I am considering as I was looking a bit more as I am not entirely sold on the BB for a few reasons, some of them mentioned earlier in the thread. I am pretty sure I know what the responses will be to this one, but I wanted to solicit thoughts as a good learning opportunity.

Sleeves need to be lengthened a bit. Roll in the back by vent is a shipping artifact that needs to be pressed out.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One more I am considering as I was looking a bit more as I am not entirely sold on the BB for a few reasons, some of them mentioned earlier in the thread. I am pretty sure I know what the responses will be to this one, but I wanted to solicit thoughts as a good learning opportunity. Sleeves need to be lengthened a bit. Roll in the back by vent is a shipping artifact that needs to be pressed out.
Jacket sleeves are fine. The problem is your shirt sleeves are too long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads