• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking in big shirts

ms244

Reaction score
I pay $14/shirt to the Thai lady at the local mall to take the sides in and ALSO Raise the armholes.

Figure if you pay less then $30 for an ebay shirt and another $14 to get it altered you are still within Jantzen prices and way below what a custom shirt would run.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
I recently bought two Borrelli shirts online and they have a 50 inch chest. I will gladly spend $25, or whatever it costs to get them altered, because of how much I paid. Also, since Borrelli has hand sewn sleeves, it's easy for any competent tailor to shorten and / or make sleeve alterations. I am not sure if the same holds true for an Alfani shirt .

I'm not understanding this logic, or lack thereof. Do you think because a shirt has "handsewn" detail it would be easier to alter? Handsewn or machin-sewn still requires placement of stitiches. Alterations of any kind still requires removal of pre-existing stitches and replacement.

So, with your expensive "handsewn" Borrelli shirts, do you ask your alteration tailor to replicate the "handsewn" details? Are you pissed if he gives you machinesewn seams instead?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had one of those gingham Lorenzini shirts altered and had to have the sleeves shortened and the sides taken in.

I don't think I can buy an OTR shirt again.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
P9193362.jpg

Think I can take this Polo in?

I don't think you need the pants.

180px-Homer_simpson_-_muumuu.jpg

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Gads, my place slims both arms and sides for less than $20. Are you sure they're not quoting you prices for separate alterations? If they're doing both at once, it shouldn't be $50.
I was quoted $25 each by a tailor. I may have misunderstood, and will ask again when I pick up my suit tomorrow. It does sound almost extortionist.
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I'm not understanding this logic, or lack thereof. Do you think because a shirt has "handsewn" detail it would be easier to alter? Handsewn or machin-sewn still requires placement of stitiches. Alterations of any kind still requires removal of pre-existing stitches and replacement.
Lee, what's with the tone? Yes, I think because the sleeves are handsewn, they will be easier to take off and reattach.
Originally Posted by lee_44106
So, with your expensive "handsewn" Borrelli shirts, do you ask your alteration tailor to replicate the "handsewn" details? Are you pissed if he gives you machinesewn seams instead?
While I did not ask him to "replicate" the handsewn details per se, I asked him to hand sew the sleeves back. He did the same thing with trouser alterations for my Castangia suits. P.S. I must specify. I meant he handsewn the pant cuffs and made all alterations by hand.

pgoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Gads, my place slims both arms and sides for less than $20. Are you sure they're not quoting you prices for separate alterations? If they're doing both at once, it shouldn't be $50.

fwiw, I've gotten quotes for simple things (hemming pants, etc) in manhattan that were double what is charged in outer boroughs (where I live). Location, location location

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pgoat
fwiw, I've gotten quotes for simple things (hemming pants, etc) in manhattan that were double what is charged in outer boroughs (where I live). Location, location location

True dat. But seems like there should be a savings in having both things done at once. It's all the same operation.

pgoat

Reaction score
Absolutely. And btw, that is why I never get things in Manhattan, unless absolutely necessary!

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if this was just taking in the sides and narrowing the sleeves,i would say ok.
but narrowing the shoulders means removing the sleeves. then the sleeves will be shorter, providing the sleeve will go back into the armhole. the deep armhole cant be raised, you cant sew on empty space.
give those shirts to your bro inlaw.
give m2m a try.

pgoat

Reaction score
Thanks guys...donate is how I'm leaning for this first batch (I have the biggest ones up for grabs first). If my other smaller (and better quality) shirts just need a tweak at the sides I'm gonna take them to my local cleaner's - less dear ones first, as a test bed, of course. Def. Going with MTM in future...from what I understand, purchased in bulk, it's comparable in price to a nicer OTR (T. Pink, Tyrwhitt) so why not? Any recommendations on a decent fitting mtm shirtmaker in Manhattan that won't break the bank (to hold me over till I can afford to pop by T&A
musicboohoo[1].gif
)? Pls feel free to point to appropriate NYC threads (I assume they exist) if that's easier...

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Not to hi-jack this thread, but ....

I recently picked up a starter sewing machine to do these types of alterations myself, and to hem, slim pants, etc.

Does anyone know the proper way to slim shirt sides and sleeves. I tried simply running a single stitch from the bottom of the shirt, through the pit and to the sleeve cuff and the results were less than stellar. The arm pit area was all fubar.

Advice from any part time do-it yourself tailors?

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pgoat
Thanks guys...donate is how I'm leaning for this first batch (I have the biggest ones up for grabs first). If my other smaller (and better quality) shirts just need a tweak at the sides I'm gonna take them to my local cleaner's - less dear ones first, as a test bed, of course.

Def. Going with MTM in future...from what I understand, purchased in bulk, it's comparable in price to a nicer OTR (T. Pink, Tyrwhitt) so why not?

Any recommendations on a decent fitting mtm shirtmaker in Manhattan that won't break the bank (to hold me over till I can afford to pop by T&A
musicboohoo[1].gif
)?

Pls feel free to point to appropriate NYC threads (I assume they exist) if that's easier...

You can contact SF member Shirtmaven. Here is his website.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
As long as the shoulders fit, there should be no problem at all. I have my shirts taken in and get the arms slimmed all the time. This is an easy job and any decent tailor should be able to do it.

But could the armhole cut be altered?

Beta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
I pay $14/shirt to the Thai lady at the local mall to take the sides in and ALSO Raise the armholes.

Figure if you pay less then $30 for an ebay shirt and another $14 to get it altered you are still within Jantzen prices and way below what a custom shirt would run.

me too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads