• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tablet PC's

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Hong Kong a couple of weeks ago, tablets everywhere, both in the shops and people actually using them, where they might have been previously using a laptop or netbook. The ones that I tried certainly impressed me, namely an Acer and Lenovo, both running Honeycomb Android, and where certainly as capable or perhaps more capable than Apple's offerings IMO, mainly because of Flash 10 support.

I still wouldn't buy one though, mainly because of the lack of a real physical keyboard, and other limitations. Although I did buy a Fujitsu Lifebook UH900 UMPC in HK, which runs full blown Windows 7, Jolicloud Linux and has multi-touch tablet capabilities. Which now serves as my daily work PC.

transient

Reaction score
But those Honeycomb tablets still aren't as polished in every way that iPad is and don't have the same app ecosystem. As far as raw usability goes you can't put them in the same category. I understand Apple's proprietary restrictions but you can't deny that it works well. Inevitably Android will be just as good, but it'll take a while. Android smartphones only finally caught up to the iPhone in the last 6 months IMO and how many years did that take. I don't really want to debate this though... MoK, I have't tried it myself but this App (outdated video) has been getting a lot of buzz since release for quickly entering hand written on a tablet.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Apologies for thread-jacking, but does anyone use a tablet with hand-writing recognition software?

How good are they?

The HTC Flyer has a stylus and apps that support it. Obviously it only went on sale this week so long term reviews aren't out.

People aren't defining what they need/want so the thread is all over the place.

I can't imagine getting a ball and chain like the Ipad. The thing reminds me of a Kaypro. Who carries these things around in real life?

The Asus mentioned can use a full keyboard if you need it. OTOH if you're lugging a keyboard then you're at home/office sitting at a desk so why do you want a small screen?

The Asus Memo and the other 7" form factors make more sense.

People aren't mentioning what kind of connection they need.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by transient
y. I understand Apple's proprietary restrictions but you can't deny that it works well. .

So you're saying flash etc running on the Ipad?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by transient
MoK, I have't tried it myself but this App (outdated video) has been getting a lot of buzz since release for quickly entering hand written on a tablet.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Nicola
The HTC Flyer has a stylus and apps that support it. Obviously it only went on sale this week so long term reviews aren't out.

Thanks - trying to find a Flyer in-stock to look at is impossible at the moment, but the pen system looks good. The price is my big concern though - I can get a Galaxy Tab for half the price with similar specs and the ability to use it as a phone...

If I can find a decent stylus, and decent handwriting recognition software the Galaxy Tab looks perfect.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About the handwriting capabilities of some tablets. Well the thing is, I can touch type without looking on a real keyboard much faster and accurately than I can write, either joined-up or printing. I know one can get separate keyboards for tablets, and some means to support the tablet at an angle so the screen is visible instead of lying flat. But then if one is going to do that, one might as well get a small laptop. I need MS Powerpoint(either running in Windows or WINE in Linux), as many of the educational PPTs we use, which have mixed Chinese and English text, fail to display correctly in the various MS Office 'substitutes', like OpenOffice, QuickOffice and Keynote. Also I'm learning Mongolian script, which is written top-to-bottom vertically. AFAIK no tablets support this at all. Not even Apple Macs support Mongolian. Windows is very much the only game in town here. Linux has some support for Mongolian script, but it's not very good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_script Hence my decision for buying a Fujitsu Lifebook UMPC which came with Windows 7 Home Premium, after looking at various Android tablets and the iPad. I've since installed Joli OS Linux on it in addition to Windows.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
About the handwriting capabilities of some tablets. Well the thing is, I can touch type without looking on a real keyboard much faster and accurately than I can write, either joined-up or printing.

My touch typing is non-existant and keyboards are not welcomed in the board meetings. I looked at the windows 7 tablets, but there's so little choice and the reviews are pretty lukewarm.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm likely waiting for Asus to start shipping the Memo. It does everything I need. Phone,internet (3G or WiFI),GPS etc. Small enough to carry. Should be the same size of the Galaxy Tab 7 so small enough to slip into a jacket inside pocket.

Anything bigger I'm not going to carry around. At home I'm moving towards a 24" monitor sooner or later so the idea of trying to deal with a 10 or 12 inch screen at home has no appeal.

Locally the various phone companies tend to bundle discounted net connection with the devices so that will help offset the purchase price.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Ive played with a few and really don't want to buy an iPad, but toss me in the camp that says there is no alternative out there yet. The Apple offering is streets ahead of any of the Android tablets out there at the moment (yes, including the Honeycomb offerings). I'll wait.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics