• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***SW&D Photography Thread***

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering if I might be able to bother you for a suggestion on an entry level DSLR....

I've asked my brother, who is a photographer, and he said that everything under 1k is pretty much the same and it comes down to personal preference and how it "feels".
thanks dudes!

I think your brother has given sound advice - the capabilities and image quality of cameras at that price point are very similar, and both Canon and Nikon have extensive ranges of optics and accessories. Handling of a camera - whether you like the controls and menus is probably the biggest difference. Personally I've always prefered Nikon's interface but it is personal preference.

The only caveat I would add is also look at Micro 4/3 (Panasonic/Lumix) or Fuji/Sony mirrorless cameras. I occasionally use my full frame Nikon's but have pretty much completely swapped to M 4/3 - the sensor image quality at normal ISOs is as good, the lenses are as good and because the size and weight difference is so great I carry a camera and lenses much more frequently...

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy 2nd hand. Up the value.

Benjaminba

Reaction score
I'm looking for a crossbody bag I can use for carrying a small camera and one lens. Would use the bag for other things as well, so I'm not looking for an actual camera bag.

I saw this bag from our legacy that I really like, but goddamn it's expensive at 360 USD. Also might be a little too small; not sure.

5182_bbd37d0065-acc_aw_172778-rtail-standard.jpg

5182_45e93ae072-acc_aw_173033-rtail-standard.jpg

Any of you have recommendations for something similar? Doesn't have to be leather. What do you guys use?

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
Eastpak "The One"

07-07-2017_eastpak_theoneshoulderbag_constructedblack_ek04546q-46q_mb_m2.jpg

I have the fully blacked out version which seems to be out of stock everywhere now... It's super euro/nerdy but it's been quite handy. I can put a camera in there (olympus 35RC) plus keys, money, sketchbook/notebook, and some other stuff.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think your brother has given sound advice - the capabilities and image quality of cameras at that price point are very similar, and both Canon and Nikon have extensive ranges of optics and accessories. Handling of a camera - whether you like the controls and menus is probably the biggest difference. Personally I've always prefered Nikon's interface but it is personal preference.

The only caveat I would add is also look at Micro 4/3 (Panasonic/Lumix) or Fuji/Sony mirrorless cameras. I occasionally use my full frame Nikon's but have pretty much completely swapped to M 4/3 - the sensor image quality at normal ISOs is as good, the lenses are as good and because the size and weight difference is so great I carry a camera and lenses much more frequently...

Yes, another vote for micro 4/3. Great for entry level, way more portable than some SLRs, interchangeable lenses and getting a prime lens (fixed mm, so no zoom) means you'll get good experience with discovering what focal range and apertures you like shooting with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_Four_Thirds_system

Aside from the size differences what advantage do the 4/3's have over a DSLR?
Price-wise they seem about the same, spec-wise they seem like a solid step backwards. I couldn't see much else.
The ability to transfer photos via wifi or bluetooth is also pretty appealing even though I know it's not difficult or time consuming to transfer otherwise.
And from what I can find most DSLR's come in at just under 1lb/.5kg with a lens.
I pretty much have a backpack on me at all times these days so weight isn't a huge issue (unless it's VERY heavy).

Buy 2nd hand. Up the value.

Yeah, I'd be buying used/refurbished.

Thanks for the help, it's genuinely appreciated. It looks like the D3400 is the best call (~$400 for a refurbished bundle) at this point. Does anybody here use one?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from the size differences what advantage do the 4/3's have over a DSLR?
Price-wise they seem about the same, spec-wise they seem like a solid step backwards. I couldn't see much else.
The ability to transfer photos via wifi or bluetooth is also pretty appealing even though I know it's not difficult or time consuming to transfer otherwise.
And from what I can find most DSLR's come in at just under 1lb/.5kg with a lens.
I pretty much have a backpack on me at all times these days so weight isn't a huge issue (unless it's VERY heavy).

Thanks for the help, it's genuinely appreciated. It looks like the D3400 is the best call (~$400 for a refurbished bundle) at this point. Does anybody here use one?

Main advantage is size and weight. If you compare just a single body & lens to a single body and lens the difference isn't too bad, but add another two or three lenses (and if you're buying a camera with removable lenses you'll want to carry multiple lenses, or else why aren't you buying a good quality compact?) and the difference is really noticeable, particularly with the smaller M4/3's - I can carry two GM1's a 15mm, a 60mm macro, a 12-32mm and 35-100mm in a bag that I can just squeeze a Nikon D700 & 28-120 zoom in, and the 4/3's kit weighs about the same!

The Kit zooms for the 4/3rds lenses tend to be optically much better than the kit DSLR zooms, although I'll willingly concur that if you're going very wide or very long the options for decent primes aren't as good as with DSLRs.

For street photography 4/3rds are completely silent and far less obtrusive than DSLRs, but I probably wouldn't recommend an M4/3 if your main interest is fast action distant sport.

I certainly wouldn't claim M4/3 is a superior system to any other - all systems have their pluses and minuses, just that it's worth considering.

I've not used the D3400, but have used the D3200 and that seemed a perfectly decent beginners camera - a bit plasticky and only limited compatibility with older lenses but a capable enough little camera.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly if you are starting from scratch, I would look at a used Fuji or Sony with an APS-C (1.5x) sensor over the Nikon D3400. You would be getting the same size sensor in a much smaller package. There are plenty of used Fuji X-T1 and X-T10 bodies on eBay now that the X-T2 and X-T20 models have been out a while. You could get something like the X-T10 easily for under $500 (a bunch of BIN on eBay for under that right now) and then pick up the 18-55 kit lens or something like the 35mm f/1.4 or f/2 prime. A Sony A6000 with a 16-50 new is only $650, and there are several used for under $500.

Here's a size comparison:
http://camerasize.com/compact/#535.360,620.359,620.498,681.36,ha,t

What are you mostly planning on shooting anyway?

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering if I might be able to bother you for a suggestion on an entry level DSLR....

I've asked my brother, who is a photographer, and he said that everything under 1k is pretty much the same and it comes down to personal preference and how it "feels". That doesn't help me, but it's all he would say.
So from looking around, I would like to stay under $500 and it seems like these are the most commonly reccomended:
Nikon D3400
Nikon D3300 (Doesn't seem much cheaper ($30-40) for an older model)
Canon Rebel SL1
Canon Rebel T6i

Right now I'm leaning towards the D3400 or the T6i if I can find some kind of deal on one to get the price down a bit.
Is there anything else I should be looking for or looking to avoid?

I'm just looking for something entry level that I can mess around with and learn on. I am a complete amateur, I'm basically just looking for a new hobby.

thanks dudes!

For beginners I suggest smaller, portable cameras, like 4/3s or mirrorless like mentioned before.

Ultimately, with photography, your gear when you start out doesn't matter. You don't need a bunch of fancy lenses or a full-frame or any of that. You need to take a lot of photos. For your first system, think of what would make you want to reach for the camera the most often, and that's the correct system.

I am a huge fan of the x100, because it's a lightweight, compact camera that can teach you everything you need to know. Seriously. It's got pretty much everything you'd want out of a DSLR but with the joys of portability. You can start off by letting the camera do everything, and of course, you won't be as happy, but then you can tinker on and on and on and the potential of the x100 really starts to unlock. Plus, it teaches you to zoom with your feet, a most excellent skill that too many "photographers" forget about

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of the x100, because it's a lightweight, compact camera that can teach you everything you need to know. Seriously. It's got pretty much everything you'd want out of a DSLR but with the joys of portability.

+1, I'm also a huge fan of the x100 lineup (and Fuji in general). Just as an example, here are a few shots I've taken with my X100F, all from the past 9 days.

35061741554_6ccd9bc2b1_b.jpg

35732020292_d4ee409d1d_b.jpg

35061741164_82ce025228_b.jpg

35901717635_7741979ffd_b.jpg

"The best camera is the one you have with you," as the saying goes, and when I still shot with a Canon 6D I only had it with me with I was intentionally going out to photograph something. DSLR's were just too bulky for me to bother with casually. Now that I've switched to Fuji, I almost always have either my X100F or X-T2 with me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads