• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sustainable Style

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I haven't seen much conversation about sustainability and fashion around here, and I thought I'd see if I could spur some discussion on that topic.

I've recently returned to the sustainability technology sector in my own career, after a disappointing false start with a carbon accounting startup early in the Obama years that fizzled out when he failed to pass cap and trade.

Here are some topics I'm curious about hearing from this forum about:

- What does "sustainable style / fashion" mean to you?

- Have you ever changed your buying habits towards sustainability? How?

- Are you willing to pay more for goods that you believe to be more sustainably made than others?

- Do you seek out particular materials or vendors based on their sustainability?

- How do you research these subjects while you are shopping?

- Are you more likely to buy from a vendor with a reputation for sustainability?

Additional resources:

The Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Protocol sets standards for how various types of emissions are measured and allocated.

The Higg Index is an emerging industry standard for measuring sustainability in an apparel company's value chain.

Circular economy is way of reorienting industry to minimize emissions and resource consumption, and may entail "cradle to cradle" design principles.

LucasFilms

Reaction score
I haven't seen much conversation about sustainability and fashion around here, and I thought I'd see if I could spur some discussion on that topic.

I've recently returned to the sustainability technology sector in my own career, after a disappointing false start with a carbon accounting startup early in the Obama years that fizzled out when he failed to pass cap and trade.

- Are you willing to pay more for goods that you believe to be more sustainably made than others?

- Do you seek out particular materials or vendors based on their sustainability?

- Are you more likely to buy from a vendor with a reputation for sustainability?

Additional resources:

The Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Protocol sets standards for how various types of emissions are measured and allocated.

The Higg Index is an emerging industry standard for measuring sustainability in an apparel company's value chain.

Circular economy is way of reorienting industry to minimize emissions and resource consumption, and may entail "cradle to cradle" design principles.

Clothes with a classical cut that last longer. Actually people who work in fashion usually recognise that sustainability means purchasing seemingly more expensive items that in reality are cheaper because they last for a long long time and do not go out of style.

Yes.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clothes with a classical cut that last longer. Actually people who work in fashion usually recognise that sustainability means purchasing seemingly more expensive items that in reality are cheaper because they last for a long long time and do not go out of style.

There's no such thing as something that doesn't go out of style, there's just cycles of different lengths of time (for confirmation, check any of the threads over on Classic Menswear about how CM isn't really classic any more). The secret to sustainable style, in the sense that you are talking about, isn't the clothes, it's you: you being genuinely confident, comfortable and happy with how you look and not worrying about what's 'in.' Having said that, some fashion cycles are more damaging than others: fast fashion is a black hole of unsustainability and social injustice: it's beyond redemption!

But I think there are other aspects of what sustainable means in this context (and I've started several threads on this kind of thing before): it's about sustainable production and disposal. Wool, cotton, polyester etc. don't just fall out of the air. They have costs. There are different ways of producing the materials we currently uses, and indeed better materials that are less environmentally damaging to produce (hemp, for example, and plastics made from castor beans or sugar rather than petrochemicals), and that can be composted or reused or recycled at the end of their lifespan. Some companies are already creating close-loop or close-cycle products like On shoes, with it's new Cyclon program for running shoes.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most sustainable fashion is don’t buy anything. The second most sustainable is buy used. Fussing with “organic cotton” or “recycled materials” doesn’t do much to affect the energy cost and carbon footprint of what it takes to produce a garment.

Personally I’ve moved to second hand for everything except for underwear and basic t-shirts.

DrSpeed

Reaction score
I see a trend of young persons buying vintage / used clothes for reasons of sustainability. This may also be because it is a trend in itself and / or it's cheaper, but still it's nice to see. I think that in the end we should be willing to pay the actual cost of products (not just clothing) including the environment and fair wages.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Additional resources:

"- What does "sustainable style / fashion" mean to you?"

Mostly sales gimmickry

barutanseijin

Reaction score

Additional resources:

Since you ask: Making people more comfortable about buying MoarStuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads