• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Superfoods!

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a note about these Green Foods. I am not implying that this is the cause but it could be. I took a serving of those green formulas daily which contain spirullina, chorella and those algae **** for 6 months since March.

I was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and the doctor couldn't explain why, nobody could. I was trying to find a cause and traced any changes in my lifestyle and diet but the only real thing that changed was the green foods and fish oils. Then I read online that some of those green formulaes might contain too much iodine that will simply **** your thyroid gland. No joke, i lost 30lbs in 5 weeks and lost hell lots of energy and strength.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Just a note about these Green Foods. I am not implying that this is the cause but it could be. I took a serving of those green formulas daily which contain spirullina, chorella and those algae **** for 6 months since March.

I was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and the doctor couldn't explain why, nobody could. I was trying to find a cause and traced any changes in my lifestyle and diet but the only real thing that changed was the green foods and fish oils. Then I read online that some of those green formulaes might contain too much iodine that will simply **** your thyroid gland. No joke, i lost 30lbs in 5 weeks and lost hell lots of energy and strength.

How much were you taking?

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One tablespoon as per the recommended dosage. The brand's Macrolife Naturals for 3 months. Then I switched to Emerald Balance for 3 months. I would highyl recommend anyone to take it once every other day if they still insist, just to be safe. My T4 is really fucked at a level of 49.6. If possible, I would suggest anyone with a diet high in these "ocean/ water derived greens" and seafood to take a blood test if they have sudden loss of weight and feel tired all the time. Trembling hands and legs are also symptoms.

I've stopped dairy and supergreen powders since. Now I take PH drops to alkalize my water. I am trying to get back on purely solid foods and salads for green intake.

mcs5280

Reaction score
Ok so I got some spirulina pills (Now 500 mg Certified Organic). Should I keep taking my multi-vitamin (1 GNC mega men sport pill per day...got sick of having nuclear yellow piss) and fish oil?

I don't want to end up OD'ing on vitamins because of this. I feel like the spirulina gives me a little more energy. The second day I took it my mind was really, really clouded up, but now I feel great. Is this normal?

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Wondering if there are any other fans of these amazing food/supplements? Wheatgrass, chlorella, spirulina, alfalfa, blue-green algae, etc.

If you drink Odwalla, you might want to try making your own. Not only is it cheaper, but being fresh and not flash-pasturized makes it even healthier. I can't wake up in the morning without my "superfood" smoothie.

Currently I take spirulina and chlorella only because they are the most nutrient dense.

In the morning drink smoothies made from banana, pineapple juice, coconut milk, splash of lemon juice, soy lecithin granules, spirulina, and a little bit of chlorella.

At night I like to drink 2 teaspoons of chlorella mixed in fruit juice or sometimes even water (you get used to the taste).

The amazing difference I've noticed in my energy levels, attitude, appetite, etc have piqued my interest in other such super supplements such as bee pollen, royal jelly, and msm. Has anyone tried any of those as well?

If anyone is interested in trying spirulina/chlorella, I'd highly recommend getting the powder from an online vitamin discounter such as luckyvitamin, iherb, or nutritiongeeks. Capsules and tablets may seem more convenient, but it takes an absurd amount of capsules to equal one teaspoon of the powder form, not to mention powder is so much cheaper and better digested.

Things can be done alot better than how you are doing them. Just remember, Chlorella and spiralina are no longer living foods when they are packaged. Many of these algae's are poorly packaged, only 1 spiralina and chlorella is brand is even half worth using. BUT YES, the spiralina and chlorella is a great start if the foods you are taking in inadeqate. But there are better ways that will cost alot less.

l'll get back to you another day.

Bye bye.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

Okay, why do I want 200% of a vitamin? Can't 100% work for me?

The vitamin recommendations are only for a minimal intake. Given the diet of the average American 100% probably won't work for you. better to take too much and have your body spit it out than risk dying of some bad degenerative disease caused through malnutrition.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I don't know why...

I did a little googlellectual search on lecithin, it seems to be an extremely popular supplement with bodybuilders and Appreciation stars (a la Peter North wannabes). .

lf you eat correctly (highly nutritious balanced diet) there will be plenty of lecithin in your food. The body can also produce it when it's in good health.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larry Lean
Things can be done alot better than how you are doing them. Just remember, Chlorella and spiralina are no longer living foods when they are packaged. Many of these algae's are poorly packaged, only 1 spiralina and chlorella is brand is even half worth using. BUT YES, the spiralina and chlorella is a great start if the foods you are taking in inadeqate. But there are better ways that will cost alot less.

Bye bye.

Thanks, I'd be interested in hearing. I feel wonderful when I"m taking my algae shakes.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larry Lean

Bye bye.

you sound like a nutjob, yo

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
you sound like a nutjob, yo

Probably but surely no nuttier than me with my love of algae.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads