• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I just adjust them myself?

It's the nose that hurts. It's a plastic frame that's my only fear.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
You can't adjust the nose, then, and neither can the optometrist. Some can drill into the frame and attach nosepads like you see on metal frames, but it will raise the frames a bit.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can't adjust the nose, then, and neither can the optometrist. Some can drill into the frame and attach nosepads like you see on metal frames, but it will raise the frames a bit.

damnit. not what i was hoping to hear. i thought with a bit of heat i could end up getting them a bit looser.

maybe the glasses themselves are just too heavy. ****.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score

damnit. not what i was hoping to hear. i thought with a bit of heat i could end up getting them a bit looser.

They'll be able to bend the arms down so they hook your ears better and might be less likely to slip down

skenney

Reaction score

They can adjust the area around the nose, but to do so they'd need to bend the entire front part of the frame, which would distort the overall shape

nightic

Reaction score

Speaking of Tom Ford. I just picked up a pair of aviators too called Franklin. I'm really disappointed by the weight and feel of them. They're my first TFs and I can't believe they're so light, then I realize the lens material is made of plastic. No poly or glass, but plastic. They're light like CVS shades light. I might have to send them back, I'm surprised they can charge $370 for a pair.

Tom Ford products at MSRP are amongst the very worst value in eyewear at the moment and that's really saying something.

Last edited:

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any thoughts here?

maui jim red sands:

Lockley

Reaction score
Is the bending of the temples of the glasses acceptable? I have a weird big head, and always had trouble finding glasses that fit. I don't like those big glasses that cover half of your face, I don't even like the Aviators (blasphemy, I know), I'm more of a Clubmasters guy. My problem is that with lenses that fit me perfectly, like these, the temples bend considerably, like this. And now that I've looked at it, my head is shaped that way, the part where the ears are is considerably wider than the temples part.

What to go for, lenses that fit or temples that fit? Seems like finding glasses with fitting lenses and straight temples is mission impossible for me.

Phrost

Reaction score
Sunglasses guru Tsujigiri,

Has anyone figured out what sunglasses Cary Grant wore in North by Northwest?
The rivets look to have a double diamond pattern. Some people think they're from an Italian brand because of the thicker temples.
[URL=http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/cool_story/2013/10/the_coolest_sunglasses_ever_can_slate_readers_identify_them.html]There was an article saying they weren't Tart Arnels. The nose bridge and the lens on Grant's look more rounded versus the Tart Arnels.

[/URL]

The ones Grace Kelly wore look similar to Grant's, but oversized and rounder. The double diamond rivet design looks similar.
Any ID on the brand she wore?

Last edited:

Firefox

Reaction score
Does anyone own a pair of Metal Wayfarers? If so, any opinions on fit and quality?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics