• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello everyone. I've been invited to a june wedding in jersey and I was looking for some advice. I've been wanting to get a suit or 2 from suitsupply and I figured I should make 1 of these usable for this occasion. I have a few other suits but I'm looking to make a jump in quality from what I've been wearing. The wedding is outdoors and I'm wondering if a linen suit would be appropriate. I was told the dress code is suit all the way to khakis and a OCBD. While khakis with a blazer is an option I'd rather wear a suit. Given that it is outside would a light blue linen or lazio blue linen work? I think there was at one point a light blue jort but I can't remember. Additionally how does the linen hold up for anyone that knows? Thanks in advance for your input!

I think light grey looks sharp for a daytime outdoor wedding in wool or linen.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been invited to a june wedding in jersey and I was looking for some advice. I've been wanting to get a suit or 2 from suitsupply and I figured I should make 1 of these usable for this occasion. I have a few other suits but I'm looking to make a jump in quality from what I've been wearing. The wedding is outdoors and I'm wondering if a linen suit would be appropriate. I was told the dress code is suit all the way to khakis and a OCBD. While khakis with a blazer is an option I'd rather wear a suit. Given that it is outside would a light blue linen or lazio blue linen work? I think there was at one point a light blue jort but I can't remember. Additionally how does the linen hold up for anyone that knows? Thanks in advance for your input!

As an owner of a Havana suit in 100% linen, I would highly suggest getting either a wool/linen or wool/cotton blend over full linen.

If wrinkling bothers you even in the slightest capacity you will regret full linen...like I do.

h3ro

Reaction score

I'm going to echo the above post and say go with a linen blend! I picked up a 3 piece Havana fit which was a Silk/Linen/Wool blend last year, also for the purposes of Summer weddings and couldn't be happier with it.

Edit - Here was the suit I went with;

Also, you mentioned a wide ranging dress code from casual to semi-formal. I would definitely check in with the bride and groom to make sure they are OK with you wearing a suit. I have seen instances where either the bride/groom take offense to someone wearing dress more formal then their own. Most of the time it's a non-issue, but just to be safe, I don't think it would hurt to check in with them whether a proper suit would be acceptable.

Last edited:

slickslickslick

Reaction score
As an owner of a Havana suit in 100% linen, I would highly suggest getting either a wool/linen or wool/cotton blend over full linen.

If wrinkling bothers you even in the slightest capacity you will regret full linen...like I do.

Wholeheartedly agreed. I have a few 100% linen SuitSupply suits, and they're a great disappointment relative to the rest of SuitSupply's offerings. The suits don't feel or look appreciably nice (as in I'd assume they were H&M if I didn't purchase them myself), and patilean1 hit it on the head with the wrinkling issue.

Also, SuitSupply's staff certainly pushes a slim silhouette and I would imagine you'd like to wear something tailored and trim to a summer wedding; allow me to forewarn you that, should you opt for something 100% linen from SuitSupply and have it tailored to fit you even remotely slim, you will subconsciously worry that the suit is mere minutes from splitting somewhere. I can't imagine wearing a linen Washington a la a SuitSupply model and having it last more than a few wears with moderate movement before bursting at the seams.

Spandexter

Reaction score
As I'm keen to purchase a couple of new light weight (spring/summer) jackets what's people's view on pure linen odd jackets (use will be for work)?

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to echo the above post and say go with a linen blend! I picked up a 3 piece Havana fit which was a Silk/Linen/Wool blend last year, also for the purposes of Summer weddings and couldn't be happier with it.

Edit - Here was the suit I went with;

Also, you mentioned a wide ranging dress code from casual to semi-formal. I would definitely check in with the bride and groom to make sure they are OK with you wearing a suit. I have seen instances where either the bride/groom take offense to someone wearing dress more formal then their own. Most of the time it's a non-issue, but just to be safe, I don't think it would hurt to check in with them whether a proper suit would be acceptable.

Groom will be wearing a tux. I actually asked him and he said a suit works but offered the casual option for those who I guess prefer not to have a jacket. Thank you for the input as I was looking at all linen options though I had considered the one you posted. I also considered:

Wholeheartedly agreed. I have a few 100% linen SuitSupply suits, and they're a great disappointment relative to the rest of SuitSupply's offerings. The suits don't feel or look appreciably nice (as in I'd assume they were H&M if I didn't purchase them myself), and patilean1 hit it on the head with the wrinkling issue.

Also, SuitSupply's staff certainly pushes a slim silhouette and I would imagine you'd like to wear something tailored and trim to a summer wedding; allow me to forewarn you that, should you opt for something 100% linen from SuitSupply and have it tailored to fit you even remotely slim, you will subconsciously worry that the suit is mere minutes from splitting somewhere. I can't imagine wearing a linen Washington a la a SuitSupply model and having it last more than a few wears with moderate movement before bursting at the seams.

Thanks! That would be quite the awkward moment to have things tear at the wedding haha. I'll definitely look at a blend rather than 100% linen.

Last edited:

DeathandTaxes

Reaction score
Is the SuitSupply site showing as down for anyone else?

nttdocomo

Reaction score
Indeed, though some weddings have now literally look like people just stepped out of an H and M catalog. Sad indeed.

Are you trying to upset me? lol

Seriously though, of course check with the happy couple if it's necessary... but when I'm invited to weddings I wear a damn suit!

Delands

Reaction score
As I'm keen to purchase a couple of new light weight (spring/summer) jackets what's people's view on pure linen odd jackets (use will be for work)?
@Spandexter , I have a 100% linen green Havana jacket from last season (I think there should be pictures somewhere in this thread), that I wear for work over the summer.
I find the wrinkling to be very acceptable (mainly on the inside of the elbow). I would definitely buy one again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads