• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gym has rendered my thighs and butt somewhat larger than the average, so I face similar challenges with fit. I'm a 48, but both the thighs and butt on my Sienna trousers had to be let out. The waist is fine.

DSauerwald

Reaction score
How does the MTM process work at SuSu? Do they make adjustments to one (or a choice) of their house cuts, or measure it up from scratch? Any comments on the results?

Last edited:

ebayhtl

Reaction score

Personally, I don't care about that so much because as many will tell you: the S count doesn't really matter and mean much by itself. I'd feel more assured if my fabric was from a reputable mill. And as you mention, having a finer fabric isn't always the best thing.

I asked the SS person I was dealing with re: my purchase about this - his verbatim response was:

"The VBC fabric which is used for the suit is not a Super wool, but a so called mesh suiting fabric. This type of fabric is a lightweight and loosely woven wool which makes it very breathable and ideal for warmer temperatures."

Fine by me. There's a bit more info about this fabric (if I'm not mistaken) here - https://parisiangentleman.co.uk/201...-suits-the-next-big-thing-vbc-fabric-academy/

It feels quite comfortable and a bit more "meshy" - so I think/hope it'll work well in the HK weather.

Don't have an answer, sorry but you should post a picture!

Not very good at selfies - but I think it looks good! Didn't feel like wearing a tie today in today's heat - probably would complete the look. Fits great OTR with just the pants needing a bit of shortening.

La Spalla suit
Drake pocket square
TCNY shirt

Last edited:

tristanFH

Reaction score
What happened to the Madison and Soho suits? They're no longer available at all on the New Zealand site; is it the same elsewhere? I would love them to do some basic navy double-breasted suits.

untchbleal

Reaction score
Has anyone here had experience with the Brentwood trousers? How do they fit? What are your take on them?
I usually wear braga by the way.

TOBestWR

Reaction score
Has anyone here had experience with the Brentwood trousers? How do they fit? What are your take on them?
I usually wear braga by the way.
I ordered them and returned them. I really didn't like the fit, imo the rise is way too low for a pleated trouser. They are also pretty slim. For sizing reference, i wear size 30 in Soho and needed size 32 in the Brentwood.

untchbleal

Reaction score

I ordered them and returned them. I really didn't like the fit, imo the rise is way too low for a pleated trouser. They are also pretty slim. For sizing reference, i wear size 30 in Soho  and needed size 32 in the Brentwood. 

Thanks for the insight. I prefer slim trousers, which is why I wear braga. But i dislike pleats with low rises, & belt loops. Unfortunately, suitsupply doesn't put their rise measurements online.
So Brentwood seems like the next best thing for me right now.

MrTopCat

Reaction score
What happened to the Madison and Soho suits? They're no longer available at all on the New Zealand site; is it the same elsewhere? I would love them to do some basic navy double-breasted suits.

They stopped releasing new DBs a while ago, none were released in Fall/Winter 2015 but one cotton Madison somehow was released in Spring/Summer 2016.

Apparently the sales of their double-breasted suits weren't too great so they stopped making them, I'm hoping they'll add an option in the design your own suit configurator for DBs.

agp

Reaction score
What's up with those shoulders? I know they're roped shoulders but that's a big bump.

I asked the SS person I was dealing with re: my purchase about this - his verbatim response was:

"The VBC fabric which is used for the suit is not a Super wool, but a so called mesh suiting fabric. This type of fabric is a lightweight and loosely woven wool which makes it very breathable and ideal for warmer temperatures."

Fine by me. There's a bit more info about this fabric (if I'm not mistaken) here - https://parisiangentleman.co.uk/201...-suits-the-next-big-thing-vbc-fabric-academy/

It feels quite comfortable and a bit more "meshy" - so I think/hope it'll work well in the HK weather.
Not very good at selfies - but I think it looks good! Didn't feel like wearing a tie today in today's heat - probably would complete the look. Fits great OTR with just the pants needing a bit of shortening.

La Spalla suit
Drake pocket square
TCNY shirt

Last edited:

DavideMiguel85

Reaction score
Could some kind chap give me some sizing advice? I have asked SS, but I'm still not sure.

This is for a waistcoat, so chest size.

My chest is 38". So I generally wear a 38R - which isn't 38 inches, but designed for someone with a 38" chest, so it'll have some room in there, no painted on.

They suggest a size 48.

Forty-eight!

With the chest measurement being 38.6".

Does this sound right?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could some kind chap give me some sizing advice? I have asked SS, but I'm still not sure.

This is for a waistcoat, so chest size.

My chest is 38". So I generally wear a 38R - which isn't 38 inches, but designed for someone with a 38" chest, so it'll have some room in there, no painted on. 

They suggest a size 48. 

Forty-eight!

With the chest measurement being 38.6".

Does this sound right?
Ever hear of euro sizing? It's approximately us size plus 10.

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So a 48 is correct?

Thank you.

I am aware of EURO sizing (I live in Europe, UK). Only, on a UK website I am used to being presented with UK-sizing. This is most unusual in my experience. 

I'm not sure what's up with their website. I was looking at the New Zealand site and everything is for sale in US dollars. Given the near +10 conversion, I suspect it has to be correct. Really though, unless there's something weird about your body (in which case SS suits won't fit) you should probably take your "normal" size. I'm a 36S in everything, including every SS suit I've tried. Some are slimmer than others, but they all fit as intended.

DavideMiguel85

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's up with their website. I was looking at the New Zealand site and everything is for sale in US dollars. Given the near +10 conversion, I suspect it has to be correct. Really though, unless there's something weird about your body (in which case SS suits won't fit) you should probably take your "normal" size. I'm a 36S in everything, including every SS suit I've tried. Some are slimmer than others, but they all fit as intended.
I'm relatively "normal" body wise so can happily buy OTR.

The thing is your 36S gives you a chest of 40.2 on the GB (UK) site. THAT is "normal" in my mind.

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/jackets/havana-brown-check/C946.html?cgid=Jackets

However, if you go to waistcoats, a SIZE 48 gives you a 39.8 chest. And a SIZE 50 gives you a 41.3 chest.

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/waistcoats/blue-waistcoat/W160106.html?cgid=Waistcoats

They seem to be completely mixing sizing here! This is confusing, no?

If ordering a jacket/suit, I think "normal" sizing would apply as you say. But... worth double checking with the sizing guide, as it's not consistent it seems.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads