• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yanagi

Reaction score
jesus... that big of a difference? size advsior telling me 34R and you're telling me 38R?!?! wtf... well damn.
i think what ill probably do now is order a bunch of different Sienna/Washington (2 cuts im really into) and try 34R, 36R, 38R...

oh and thanks a lot for the reply, really helpful. BTW, what do you think about ticket pockets for interview suits?

The product dimensions are accurate; they show the vanity sizing in the trousers (e.g. a 38R with drop 6 pants is actually 33.9 inches, not 32). But the size advisor is just wrong. Nonetheless, seeing is believing; they have free returns, so go 34R, 36R, and 38R.

I think ticket pockets and peak lapels aren't "conservative" enough for interview suits. I'd agree with CousinDonut's suggestions.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oh and thanks a lot for the reply, really helpful. BTW, what do you think about ticket pockets for interview suits?

In my experience people either notice the ticket pocket or they don't. Obviously when not noticed it doesn't matter. When noticed, you get 3 camps...1 says huh what is that? 1 thinks it is snooty for an interview suit. The last doesn't care.

In my opinion, you don't want to do anything that makes you stand out in a bad way. First impressions matter. You want them to see your outfit as proper but not memorable. If you roll in with Tom Ford lapels then you may start in a hole cause the guy thinks you're cocky and brash. But if you want to make THAT impression, then fire away.

So at the end of the day my 2 cents is that it there is a good chance it won't matter, but why take that chance?

Last edited:

yanagi

Reaction score
I got off my lazy ass and took a (bad bathroom) photo. I'm also 5'9" and 38-39" in the chest. This is me wearing a 38R Napoli.

A 38R Napoli is 42.7" in the chest. If it were actually 38" in the chest, the lapels would not lay flat on my chest but would rather "bow out." That's assuming I could even button the jacket.

Skatenc123

Reaction score
jesus... that big of a difference? size advsior telling me 34R and you're telling me 38R?!?! wtf... well damn.
i think what ill probably do now is order a bunch of different Sienna/Washington (2 cuts im really into) and try 34R, 36R, 38R...

Same height 5'8 34 inch waist. I wear a 38S, since i have short arms and torso. Make sure to look at sleeve length and maybe order a 38S just to check which you'll need.

tgod93

Reaction score
In my experience people either notice the ticket pocket or they don't. Obviously when not noticed it doesn't matter. When noticed, you get 3 camps...1 says huh what is that? 1 thinks it is snooty for an interview suit. The last doesn't care.

In my opinion, you don't want to do anything that makes you stand out in a bad way. First impressions matter. You want them to see your outfit as proper but not memorable. If you roll in with Tom Ford lapels then you may start in a hole cause the guy thinks you're cocky and brash. But if you want to make THAT impression, then fire away.

So at the end of the day my 2 cents is that it there is a good chance it won't matter, but why take that chance?

god damn... i concede. Thats all I've been reading all day. I just personally really like ticket pockets is all >_>. But i guess for the sake of lower risk, ill go with single flaps.
in which case... no double breast, no ticket pocket, no patch pocket, no stripes, no checks... which basically leaves:

lazio, napoli (FUGGLING!!! fuckin+ugly+boring)

and based on the product dimensions, the lazio seems to be slimmer fitting than the napoli.

im probably gonna start off by ordering these 3 lazio in 36R/38R/40R to determine sizing

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/lazio-blue-plain/P3960I.html?start=37&cgid=Suits
http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/lazio-blue-plain/P3963I.html?start=20&cgid=Suits
http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/lazio-blue-plain/P3786I.html?start=26&cgid=Suits

tgod93

Reaction score
I got off my lazy ass and took a (bad bathroom) photo. I'm also 5'9" and 38-39" in the chest. This is me wearing a 38R Napoli.

A 38R Napoli is 42.7" in the chest. If it were actually 38" in the chest, the lapels would not lay flat on my chest but would rather "bow out." That's assuming I could even button the jacket.

mind if i ask how much you weigh? even though our height/chest are about the same size, you look slightly bigger than me (not as in fat, but just generally bigger)
also, does your napoli fit snuggly when you button it up? or is it just kinda loose fitting? sorry its kinda hard to tell since its black and your hand is blocking a lot haha

tgod93

Reaction score
Same height 5'8 34 inch waist. I wear a 38S, since i have short arms and torso. Make sure to look at sleeve length and maybe order a 38S just to check which you'll need.

i typically dont have issues when it comes to sleeves... but i do want to ask... since you ordered a 38S, does that mean you might have a slight gut? (NO OFFENSE AT ALL)
i only ask because when i called a store sales rep earlier, when i asked, she recommended that based on my measurements i should NOT get a short size because i didnt have a belly...

p.s. completely unrelated to the topic at hand but the sales rep also gave me her number/email and told me that if i ordered through her, she could expedite the shipping... anyone verify this? Ive never encountered a sales rep that voluntarily offered to do this for me... and so insistingly too. do they get commission for sales?

Last edited:

yanagi

Reaction score
mind if i ask how much you weigh? even though our height/chest are about the same size, you look slightly bigger than me (not as in fat, but just generally bigger)
also, does your napoli fit snuggly when you button it up? or is it just kinda loose fitting? sorry its kinda hard to tell since its black and your hand is blocking a lot haha

Sure, I weigh 155 pounds. The jacket fits well in the sense that it's neither too loose nor too tight; a Napoli 38R is the first OTR jacket I found that fits without any alterations needed. And yeah, it's a bad photo. I don't have any places in my apartment for a timed self-shot
baldy[1].gif

i typically dont have issues when it comes to sleeves... but i do want to ask... since you ordered a 38S, does that mean you might have a slight gut? (NO OFFENSE AT ALL)
i only ask because when i called a store sales rep earlier, when i asked, she recommended that based on my measurements i should NOT get a short size because i didnt have a belly

Hmm, dunno what to make of that recommendation. S/R/L AFAIK has nothing to do with weight; it's based on height. SuitSupply jackets all have functioning buttons, so if you have "abnormally" long or short arms for your height, might be worth it to try S/R/L.

Last edited:

Skatenc123

Reaction score

i only ask because when i called a store sales rep earlier, when i asked, she recommended that based on my measurements i should NOT get a short size because i didnt have a belly...

p.s. completely unrelated to the topic at hand but the sales rep also gave me her number/email and told me that if i ordered through her, she could expedite the shipping... anyone verify this? Ive never encountered a sales rep that voluntarily offered to do this for me... and so insistingly too. do they get commission for sales?

Nope no gut. I can fit fine in Havana or Napoli in the 38S and could do some waist supression if desired and I don't think I would get an "X". I've only ever ordered online and they usually ship next day and I get them in 3-4 days from order to North Carolina.

Last edited:

tgod93

Reaction score
Nope no gut. I can fit fine in Havana or Napoli in the 38S and could do some waist supression if desired and I don't think I would get an "X". I've only ever ordered online and they usually ship next day and I get them in 3-4 days from order to North Carolina.

i only asked because the product dimensions make it seem like the S are wider than R.
for example, if u look at the lazio dimensions... smallest chest for R is 37.4, where as smallest chest for S is 42.5

OH ALSO, do you guys find that SuSu ties/shirts fit better with their suits than other brand ties/shirts simply because same maker?

Last edited:

MrTopCat

Reaction score
hey everyone, ive been searching through the forum for some up-to-date news to answer my questions but I've yet to find any clear/concise solutions...

Quick info:
-Need 1-2 suits for interviews (im 23, fresh outta school, so entry-level job)
-To be safe, I am going to go for a dark blue/navy suit & a light grey suit
-Just moved to LA so I'm not close to any stores and I need to get these suits ASAP

Questions:
-How accurate are colors in the photos compared to in person? (SS rep claims that the colors are accurate but I've seen others mention that the lighting affects each suit differently)
-While I LOVE the look of ticket pockets, are they too informal for interviews for my age?
-Also, do ticket pockets make the wearer seem shorter? (I'm 5'8-5'9 without shoes) Based on a few older forums online, there seems to be a lot of hate towards ticket pockets
-Since I'm in LA and there's essentially no winter, does it matter what color the suits are? It seems all the navy/dark blue suits are listed as fall/winter suits... Thus, would a lighter blue suit still be appropriate for an interview?
-Lastly, I know that the Washington/contemporary cuts are slimmer than their Sienna/classic cuts, but is there really a huge difference? (According to the rep i spoke with, she claimed there to be relatively big difference... even though the washington cut has longer back lengths than the sienna)

Based on the size advisor's method of getting my measurements, I'm currently:
Height: 68-69' (5'8-5'9)
Chest: 38'-39'
Upper waist: 33'
Lower waist: 33'-34'

It says for me to order a 34R but I'll probably end up also ordering a 32R just to be safe.

I'm 5'7 and I don't think ticket pockets make you appear shorter, at least not noticeably.

As for too informal, I doubt it's something most interviewers will notice, even if they did I doubt it would make a difference compared to things like a double-breasted jacket, peaked lapels, or a loud pattern on the fabric.

This may or may not be suitable for an interview, probably not since I think the wide peaked lapels bring a lot of attention to themselves on my frame.

I wear a size 32R, as I have a 34" chest and am 110lbs, I can also go for a 34R quite easily with some minor tailoring (Suit above is 34R with some tailoring to slim it down), so I don't think a 34R will fit on a 38" chest, but really it varies between people and the cut of the suit.

Last edited:

tgod93

Reaction score
I'm 5'7 and I don't think ticket pockets make you appear shorter, at least not noticeably.

This may or may not be suitable for an interview, probably not since I think the wide peaked lapels bring a lot of attention to themselves on my frame.

I wear a size 32R, as I have a 34" chest and am 110lbs, I can also go for a 34R quite easily with some minor tailoring (Suit above is 34R with some tailoring to slim it down), so I don't think a 34R will fit on a 38" chest, but really it varies between people and the cut of the suit.

thank you for the reply, that photo really does give some perspective (is that a washington? lookin good with that ticket pocket =D). Yeah i don't plan on going with a 34R anymore... more likely im going to try 2 sizes, 36R & 38R.

Question for anyone.
http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/lazio-blue-plain/P3786I.html?start=26&cgid=Suits
first photo in that link above... anyone know where to get that tie? it is literally one of the sexiest ties ive ever seen (pattern wise)

kasakka

Reaction score

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinDonuts

Or more likely in 99% of all cases they won't notice or care. They appreciate that you came in well dressed but otherwise most people know jack **** about menswear. Even the ones that do won't care about a ticket pocket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads