• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chrisb0109

Reaction score

I agree, great looking suits.
chrisb0109 - maybe a little teeny hair shorter on the sleeves if you wanted to get to the nitty gritty, but nothing in the body needs to be touched.
steffenbp11 - how does the body tapering look? (can't see in the pic)

That was my thought when I first put it on. I had the sleeves shortened a touch already, but I think I could have gone with a bit more. Not sure its worth paying for twice though. Maybe I'll get around to it one day.

steffenbp11

Reaction score
@CousinD - thanks. The taper is fine Imo:

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6"8 and all I have tried is the Napoli. The sleeves were always an inch and a half short but my tailor (who is awesome btw!) always is able to get it to work for me. He does have to add an extra button or two to the cuff which I know some peeps on this site cannot fathom (which I could really give two f**k's) but it comes out just nice. I do have monkey arms (which was an awesome asset as a basketball player in college) so most sleeves will be short on me.. but again, they fit nicely and apart from some things that can only be fixed by bespoke or made to measure (i.e the wrinkles around the shoulder blade near the armhole that probably come from an unbalanced jacket) but its 80% good for me which is good enough for me.. I have a couple of Zegna's (fit milano's and fit rom's), Canali's and and a Giorgio Armani (Black Label) and they fit as well as those so no complaints here..

chrisb0109

Reaction score

Did you get the Sienna? The overall aesthetic is very Polo Ralph Lauren.

Yes, I did get the Sienna and I think I would get it again. I am particularly fond of the shoulders, as they are very soft. Next to no padding, which creates a nice shape on my build.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I did get the Sienna and I think I would get it again. I am particularly fond of the shoulders, as they are very soft. Next to no padding, which creates a nice shape on my build.

Does the edge of the shoulder appear to stay in place, and just below the seam the fabric creases, as you raise your arms? I tried both a 38 and 40 in the sienna last weekend and that crease formed on each arm. Probably just my shoulder construction, but thought I'd ask.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Yes, I guess that does happen, but I think thats just part of the construction, nothing to bothersome to me. I'm not sure if there is any way around that kind of creasing.

Putonghua73

Reaction score
I popped into Suit Supply in Vigo Street in London, to primarily look for Sports Coats (limited to poor selection) since Ede & Ravenscroft was closed by the time I arrived.

Decided to try on a few 40R jackets. I tried:
  • Jort
  • London
  • Sienna

All fitted beautifully, although the Sienna has too high buttoning position to suit my "forward chest" (in the opinion of the SA who looked after me). He also noted that my right shoulder is higher than my left, and that I have a "hollow back". Thus, there Sienna bunches at the back at shoulder blade level. He also thought that both the Jort and London suit me with no tailoring.

I did disagree with the sleeve lengths. All 3 of the above were 1/2 inch too short in the sleeve. The SA disagreed, as he preferred showing more cuff, whereas I prefer the sleeves to end exactly at the wrist-bone.

I did get compliments on my suit [Ede & Ravenscroft RTW] and Linea Maestro dark brown oxford toe-caps [Meermin]
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
, then I noticed in the mirror that my midnight blue Charles Tyrwhitt tie did look like a CT tie without the jacket, under the harsh glare of the in-store lightning. I also noticed that my hair needed washing; I need a shave; and I forget to wash my face before leaving work - oily sheen on the surface. Plus, I noticed that although I've lost a few pounds (down to 185lbs - I'm 6ft), I still need to tone around my stomach.
facepalm.gif

If I was in the market for a suit (which I'm leaning towards, but Sports Coat first), then I'm looking for a Royal Blue, as opposed to a Navy. Not a great deal of variety in the London range, and I'm not keen on the wool / cashmere mix in the Sienna.

As per my original visit, warm, friendly, knowledgeable SAs, who provide honest opinion and feedback. Got talking to one of the SA's about suits in general. He mentioned that the peak lapel was a return to the 20s look (F.Scott Fitzgerald - 'The Great Gatsby'). He also mentioned there is a lot of strong interest in DBs and Double Monks. He tried to convince me to try peak lapels, but I'm strictly standard notch lapels. He also informed me that the Washington line is the most popular SS line world-wide, followed by the Sienna. The London line receives interest in the UK, but isn't really being pushed by SS outside the UK, which is a shame - hence, why there are very few choices compared to other ranges.

If it wasn't for the fact that Ede & Ravenscroft 40R RTW fit me perfectly (although I had the sleeves lengthened 1/4 inch), and I like their mid-weight fabrics, I would probably look to purchase something in the SS London range.

Note: I only tried on jackets this time. I did not try the trousers. Last time I tried the trousers in the 40R London range (alleged 6 inch drop), it felt as though I was scuba diving!

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the edge of the shoulder appear to stay in place, and just below the seam the fabric creases, as you raise your arms? I tried both a 38 and 40 in the sienna last weekend and that crease formed on each arm. Probably just my shoulder construction, but thought I'd ask.

What that mean Cousin is maybe the armhole is a little different from the way your arm hangs.. not from a pitch issue but just the fact that your arm comes in a different angle from your body that what the arm hole was created.. I find that happens a little bit, not much on some of my suits that have very little padding (for instance some of my Milano models from Zegna)

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I popped into Suit Supply in Vigo Street in London, to primarily look for Sports Coats (limited to poor selection) since Ede & Ravenscroft was closed by the time I arrived.

Decided to try on a few 40R jackets. I tried:
  • Jort
  • London
  • Sienna

All fitted beautifully, although the Sienna has too high buttoning position to suit my "forward chest" (in the opinion of the SA who looked after me). He also noted that my right shoulder is higher than my left, and that I have a "hollow back". Thus, there Sienna bunches at the back at shoulder blade level. He also thought that both the Jort and London suit me with no tailoring.

I did disagree with the sleeve lengths. All 3 of the above were 1/2 inch too short in the sleeve. The SA disagreed, as he preferred showing more cuff, whereas I prefer the sleeves to end exactly at the wrist-bone.

I did get compliments on my suit [Ede & Ravenscroft RTW] and Linea Maestro dark brown oxford toe-caps [Meermin]
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
, then I noticed in the mirror that my midnight blue Charles Tyrwhitt tie did look like a CT tie without the jacket, under the harsh glare of the in-store lightning. I also noticed that my hair needed washing; I need a shave; and I forget to wash my face before leaving work - oily sheen on the surface. Plus, I noticed that although I've lost a few pounds (down to 185lbs - I'm 6ft), I still need to tone around my stomach.
facepalm.gif

If I was in the market for a suit (which I'm leaning towards, but Sports Coat first), then I'm looking for a Royal Blue, as opposed to a Navy. Not a great deal of variety in the London range, and I'm not keen on the wool / cashmere mix in the Sienna.

As per my original visit, warm, friendly, knowledgeable SAs, who provide honest opinion and feedback. Got talking to one of the SA's about suits in general. He mentioned that the peak lapel was a return to the 20s look (F.Scott Fitzgerald - 'The Great Gatsby'). He also mentioned there is a lot of strong interest in DBs and Double Monks. He tried to convince me to try peak lapels, but I'm strictly standard notch lapels. He also informed me that the Washington line is the most popular SS line world-wide, followed by the Sienna. The London line receives interest in the UK, but isn't really being pushed by SS outside the UK, which is a shame - hence, why there are very few choices compared to other ranges.

If it wasn't for the fact that Ede & Ravenscroft 40R RTW fit me perfectly (although I had the sleeves lengthened 1/4 inch), and I like their mid-weight fabrics, I would probably look to purchase something in the SS London range.

Note: I only tried on jackets this time. I did not try the trousers. Last time I tried the trousers in the 40R London range (alleged 6 inch drop), it felt as though I was scuba diving!
What did you think of the Jort fit compared to the London?

Putonghua73

Reaction score

What did you think of the Jort fit compared to the London?

In truth, no discernible difference in fit. I felt it was more a combination of softer, rounder Neapolitan shoulders on the Jort (although the Sienna has minimal shoulder padding), compared to the London.

My personal preference is the London; however the Jort is equally a good fit. The differences are more what type of shoulder, fabric, weight, and lining. The Jort has horrid pillar-box red lining. Hideous.

Note: the Jort that I tried on was a 3 roll 2.

The Gold Bug

Reaction score

The Washington was definitely more snug all through the shoulders and body. I had my tailor nip the waist and hips of the Napoli jacket. I wouldn't need to do the same in the same sized Washington. While the website pictures show a similar shoulder construction between the two, I thought the Washington model I tried (this one) felt a touch softer in the shoulders and were laying in a way that I didn't feel like the extra snugness was overly noticeable.
I plan to buy that jacket later in the season. I will definitely buy both the 38 and 40 and see which fits better at the time.
Sorry I can't remember enough to give more detail than that. Perhaps timotune can answer better.

I actually have a Washington jacket and do think the shoulders are quite soft for a "structured" shoulder. The Italia model I also have has a much stronger/structured shoulder for instance. I prefer having lightly padded shoulders as I have a rather small neck and face hence my question on whether the Napoli is stronger shouldered or not.

Thanks for your answer though, it did help. I think I'll just buy a Sienna for my next suit.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's 38R Havana with no alterations.

I like the fit of the Sienna posted above - very nice.

648F9B8E-9DF8-4BFD-B528-72CEB8FFCE6A-4198-000003C516213906_zps277e7a36.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads