• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talk about a difference.

FunkyPrawn

Reaction score

hrefab

Reaction score
Gentlemen, how tight should a suit be? I've had a look at some of the models on SuitSupply and a lot of them seem to have creasing around the top button of the suit jacket when done up. Is this how it's meant to look?

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/suits/w...e&prefv2=42&sz=135&srule=PriceAsc&prefv1=Blue

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/suits/livorno-grey-stripe/P4295.html?start=4&cgid=Suits&srule=PriceAsc

In my opinion, you should not see any pulling on the top button. The 'X' that it created ruins the drape of the jacket for me. This has less to do with SS and more to do with wearing the correct size for your body.

thefoxtooth

Reaction score
Gentlemen, how tight should a suit be? I've had a look at some of the models on SuitSupply and a lot of them seem to have creasing around the top button of the suit jacket when done up. Is this how it's meant to look?

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/suits/w...e&prefv2=42&sz=135&srule=PriceAsc&prefv1=Blue

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/suits/livorno-grey-stripe/P4295.html?start=4&cgid=Suits&srule=PriceAsc

When you are standing with your arms at your sides there should be no "X" or "cat whiskers" at all. A slight bit of tension on the button is OK, but ideally you want the button to float in the middle of the hole.

Again, the "rule of fist" is a good one. Can you get your fist (thumb toward you) in between your gut and the button? It should fit, but just barely. This is about the amount of extra material you need to sit down without the jacket straining.

Also, look at your profile. The back of the jacket should hang straight as a plumb, not flare out from the shoulders like a half-open umbrella. That's too loose. Look from the rear—have someone hold a hand mirror so you can look at the back with your arms down—and see if you see any waist. Your back shouldn't touch the jacket anywhere below your armpits.

With modern RTW it's usually better to get something a little too loose in the waist and have it taken in. There isn't a lot of spare material in there for letting out. Best to get it right in the first place, but that's not always possible.

shwoop

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Potentially stupid question here, but when we're returning a suit, do we have to use the same box that it was sent in? Or can we send it through in a different box? And also, any tips on how I can package the suit so that it doesn't get damaged during the shipping?

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I took delivery of some SS suits recently, and was shocked at the packaging they used. I know it's nice to get something out of the box without much creasing, but it's a hell of a burden when you use a freight forwarder, not to mention the environment!

Anyway, I'm thinking of asking them if there's an option to just take the suits stuffed in an envelope or similar - anyone ever try this?

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it might sounds funny but I'm really tempted to try the SuSu PJ's. Anyone ever tried them out?

Last edited:

LoKey

Reaction score
I took delivery of some SS suits recently, and was shocked at the packaging they used. I know it's nice to get something out of the box without much creasing, but it's a hell of a burden when you use a freight forwarder, not to mention the environment!

Anyway, I'm thinking of asking them if there's an option to just take the suits stuffed in an envelope or similar - anyone ever try this?
I haven't tried asking for different options but I agree that the packaging is excessive. I'd be interested in an update if you contact them about this.

rye225

Reaction score
I know it might sounds funny but I'm really tempted to try the SuSu PJ's. Anyone ever tried them out?
I think this every time I see them on the Website! I think I may pull the trigger soon :)

Headed over to Amsterdam this weekend and picked up a Lazio (Blue) and a Sienna (Blue). Love the material on the Sienna.

I'm holding out for the Waistcoats to come back in stock. I really want the blue one.

beowolf

Reaction score
I would love to buy another SS suit but the sleeve length is still a problem. I have long arms (37inch) and they longest they go is 36.1 unless I have it altered, which looks really bad with the working sleeves.

Last edited:

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
I needed another pair of light gray trousers and opted for the jort light grey trouser. The price was a little steep, but I was willing to pay a premium for the side tabs. I was surprised to find, when they arrived, that the material was a super 140s from the vbc revenge line. They are very lightweight. To me it seems to be a high thread count for a pair of trousers, though. I'm very worried about durability. Regardless of this concern, they are very nice. I will post some pics after work.

ScottMC

Reaction score
I needed another pair of light gray trousers and opted for the jort light grey trouser. The price was a little steep, but I was willing to pay a premium for the side tabs. I was surprised to find, when they arrived, that the material was a super 140s from the vbc revenge line. They are very lightweight. To me it seems to be a high thread count for a pair of trousers, though. I'm very worried about durability. Regardless of this concern, they are very nice. I will post some pics after work.
Looking forward to pictures. I was under the impression that the markup was only for the side tabs and button fly. I own the Oak fit trousers: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/trousers/grey-pants/B400I.html, which I think are the exact same style as the Jort trousers. Did the Jort trousers come with button cuffs?

Last edited:

SS 376

Reaction score

I would love to buy another SS suit but the sleeve length is still a problem. I have long arms (37inch) and they longest they go is 36.1 unless I have it altered, which looks really bad with the working sleeves.

Glad it's not just me. I'm kind of caught between 40R and 40L. Not sure what i can do about it though.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
Looking forward to pictures. I was under the impression that the markup was only for the side tabs and button fly. I own the Oak fit trousers: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/trousers/grey-pants/B400I.html, which I think are the exact same style as the Jort trousers. Did the Jort trousers come with button cuffs?

As the other poster stated, it does have cuff buttons. What is the point of these?

Also, here are some pics, one I took inside, one outside.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrandonEM