• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Cousteau, if you have room on your credit card, I would order multiple sizes and send back what doesn't work.

In my experience, the sizes on the chart are pretty accurate. It's the size advisor that is weird. I wear a US38 in most of their stuff with an occasional 40, and the size advisor tells me a 42 or 44. I would compare your measurements to the charts and order accordingly.

malaysian

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but which suitsupply store is better (in terms of service): SoHo or Madision Ave?

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Havana Houndstooth Linen Size 38R. I had the waist taken in, the pants hemmed and tapered, and the jacket slimmed just slightly from the back center seam rather than the sides. Button stance does not bother me at all.

mfridman

Reaction score
The thing I found troubling with SS linens (maybe all linens do so, I wouldn't know), is that it pulls. A lot. I got a Havana jacket in blue linen, and it pulls around the elbows and lats. So to anyone getting anything in linen from SS - beware of pulling and possible tearing as a result. Wool is much more durable in that regard. Especially if you are athletically built and have some tightness around your arms and back.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
I can't seem to get a reply in the Tailor's thread, but so I'll try here. I'm taking the York Plain Blue to the tailor, and I'd love some comments before I do so. In particular on:

- Sleeve length
- Is there collar gap? It's not obvious, but it doesn't hug my shirt either
- Waist suppression
- Anything else you can think of

The arms are wrinkled in the pictures, but not when standing normally, so I don't think I have to rotate the sleeve heads.
Pants are too tight in the waist and seat, and have to be let out as well.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Can't see well enough to comment on collar gap. I might lengthen the sleeves a quarter to half an inch, but I don't think they look egregious as is. I would not suppress the waist any further as you already have a bit of pulling going on at the button and wrinkling at the lower back. Biggest issue is the seat. No pun intended. As I'm sure you're aware, the tailor will need to let that out probably as much as the fabric will allow.

Sieglinde

Reaction score
Saw these trousers on the website but the style is sold out and I couldn't see the details, anyone happen to know the name of the color?

Thanks!

oranges

Reaction score
Havana Houndstooth Linen Size 38R. I had the waist taken in, the pants hemmed and tapered, and the jacket slimmed just slightly from the back center seam rather than the sides. Button stance does not bother me at all.

Looks great! Do you mind telling me how tall you are? Long arms? No adjustment to the sleeve length?

Thanks!

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Thanks mate! I am 6'0" and 175lbs athletic build. I have slightly longer arms than the "average" but I personally like a little more shirt cuff showing so no adjustments on the sleeves. I'm a 30/31 waist but I have bigger athletic thighs yet the pants on the Havana fit very well off the rack. I just needed the waist taken about an inch. I also own two Washington cuts and oddly enough I had to do more alterations and slimming on those suits than the Havana. There was collar gap, the sleeves were way to short, and the jacket needed much more waist suppression than the Havana. Hope this helps.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you want to know specifically?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads