• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

simple80t

Reaction score
By balance being a little off I meant the distance from the pockets to the jacket's hem, I actually prefer the lower buttoning stance too!
Hi MrTopCat,

The pocket distance will only bother those looking for it. If the suit didn't have the extra ticket pocket, it would be less noticeable. Keep this in mind the next time around as the horizontal flap pockets accentuate this kind of alteration. Does the jacket still cover your backside?

Again, you are dressing for yourself, so make sure you love it. It sounds like you have a very small reservation about the new jacket balance and by classical tailoring standards you are correct. Try to forget about this and enjoy the suit, but if it nags at you in the back of your mind you might want to lengthen it by 1/4-1/2 inch. If you can be comfortable and let it go, then wear it with confidence and enjoy it.

Kind Regards,

MrTopCat

Reaction score
Hi MrTopCat,

The pocket distance will only bother those looking for it. If the suit didn't have the extra ticket pocket, it would be less noticeable. Keep this in mind the next time around as the horizontal flap pockets accentuate this kind of alteration. Does the jacket still cover your backside?

Again, you are dressing for yourself, so make sure you love it. It sounds like you have a very small reservation about the new jacket balance and by classical tailoring standards you are correct. Try to forget about this and enjoy the suit, but if it nags at you in the back of your mind you might want to lengthen it by 1/4-1/2 inch. If you can be comfortable and let it go, then wear it with confidence and enjoy it.

Kind Regards,

It doesn't bother me that much actually, I just wanted some objective feedback (Thank you all for that!).

The jacket still covers my backside with an excess of about 1/2 inch or so, which is just the way I prefer it.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was looking at a Washington cut suit online, but my size is sold out. Anyone have luck in ordering from a brick and mortar over the phone?

blue2007

Reaction score
Need some sizing help. I wear 42R / 52 European in all cuts, Lazio, Sienna, London, Havana. But I just tried a 42R in Washington and it was simply too tight. Not just the chest, but also arms. Usually a 42R requires no alterations for me, other than the pants.

So I sized up to 44R and while it looks good overall, I'm concerned that the shoulders might be too big. I took some photos and I was wondering if you can provide some feedback.

Thanks.

azumi

Reaction score
The arms still are a little bit tight?
The shoulders make you look more muscular.

Last edited:

Terpo

Reaction score
Haven't found much info on the York while browsing the thread. How do the York trousers compare to the Sienna trousers? The Sienna are the only trousers cut widely enough for me (38L) to not fit like leggings from what I've tried so far.

Danleyness

Reaction score
Hey SF guys,
I'm looking into getting a SuitSupply suit (right now it's between them and IndoChino, I know. That's a different issue), and I had a couple questions about measurements that I can't find on the website.

The trousers come unfinished, correct? What is the inseam on those? My measurements point me towards a 38L (which has a chest measurement of 42. Go figure). There is a store here in Philly, so I'll go check them out, and i'll definitely need to have it altered, hopefully it's close enough that we can make it work, otherwise I'll have to go to MTM of some sort.

To give you the idea of my difficulty, I'm 6'6" 190lbs, with a 31" waist, 36" inseam, 41" chest, and, at least by my last measurement (which I would like to get redone) 20" shoulders. Finding things that can even be altered to fit me is difficult.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
I've found 37 inches on the inseam to be pretty standard for unhemmed pants, so you should be good as long as you don't want cuffs. Regardless of how slim you are, I'd have a hard time believing the shoulders of a 6'6 man would fit into a size 38. I'm 5'11 with fairly narrow shoulders, and I can't fit a 38. Also, your chest measurement of 41 inches means the chest of the 38 will only leave you an inch to spare; that's pretty tight. Jacket length will likely be your biggest problem. You should definitely go get fitted in store.

Danleyness

Reaction score
I've found 37 inches on the inseam to be pretty standard for unhemmed pants, so you should be good as long as you don't want cuffs. Regardless of how slim you are, I'd have a hard time believing the shoulders of a 6'6 man would fit into a size 38. I'm 5'11 with fairly narrow shoulders, and I can't fit a 38. Also, your chest measurement of 41 inches means the chest of the 38 will only leave you an inch to spare; that's pretty tight. Jacket length will likely be your biggest problem. You should definitely go get fitted in store.

That's about what I thought, and that's good news for the length. As to the small size, I'm really skinny and very short waisted (do men use that term?), so I'm not worried about jacket length. I tend to have the problem of anything labelled as "Long" being too short in the arms, but too long in the torso. But beside that, the website suggestion for the 38L seemed a little suspect to me. That's the nice thing about having a storefront nearby, I get to actually go check this stuff out.
The trousers do come finished already.

Suitsupply has a pretty awesome MTM-program, better use them over IndoChino-Crap.

Yeah, but I'm a broke singer just out of music school. SuitSupply blue line RTW, and IndoChino Essentials are pushing my budget as far as it can go.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey SF guys,
I'm looking into getting a SuitSupply suit (right now it's between them and IndoChino, I know. That's a different issue), and I had a couple questions about measurements that I can't find on the website.

The trousers come unfinished, correct? What is the inseam on those? My measurements point me towards a 38L (which has a chest measurement of 42. Go figure). There is a store here in Philly, so I'll go check them out, and i'll definitely need to have it altered, hopefully it's close enough that we can make it work, otherwise I'll have to go to MTM of some sort.

To give you the idea of my difficulty, I'm 6'6" 190lbs, with a 31" waist, 36" inseam, 41" chest, and, at least by my last measurement (which I would like to get redone) 20" shoulders. Finding things that can even be altered to fit me is difficult.

The shoulder measurement of a 38 Napoli is about 18".

Those size advisors are crap. That thing put me in a 44 one time and I am a 38. Just head to the store and give yourself an hour to try stuff on.

Need some sizing help. I wear 42R / 52 European in all cuts, Lazio, Sienna, London, Havana. But I just tried a 42R in Washington and it was simply too tight. Not just the chest, but also arms. Usually a 42R requires no alterations for me, other than the pants.

So I sized up to 44R and while it looks good overall, I'm concerned that the shoulders might be too big. I took some photos and I was wondering if you can provide some feedback.
Thanks.

Is the left shoulder pad overhanging your shoulder? Looks like it might be a smidge.

facet

Reaction score

Yeah, but I'm a broke singer just out of music school. SuitSupply blue line RTW, and IndoChino Essentials are pushing my budget as far as it can go.
FWIW, (it's been years since I had purchased from Indochino) having just purchased a blue line suit, SuitSupply was far and away superior in value for what your paying, even when taking cost of alterations into account. The quality of fabric and cut is way better such that I wouldn't bother with Indochino.

Danleyness

Reaction score
FWIW, (it's been years since I had purchased from Indochino) having just purchased a blue line suit, SuitSupply was far and away superior in value for what your paying, even when taking cost of alterations into account. The quality of fabric and cut is way better such that I wouldn't bother with Indochino.

That is the impression I have gotten. The question is whether the RTW suit can be altered effectively to fit my bizarre frame. If it can, SuitSupply all the way. If not, I have to look for other options. At the moment my go to suit was a miracle thrift store find, bespoke from some tailor in Hong Kong for a gentleman apparently built just like me, but I'd like a new suit to throw into the rotation for auditions and events.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads