• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gianm

Reaction score
Need some advice. Trying to decide whether to keep the emerald green DB I posted a few pages back. I love the colour, but the piece was a bit of an impulse buy. I don't wear suits that often and I'm wondering when I'd use it. The fabric makes it a little more casual. Does anyone have any suggestions based on similar experiences?

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Casual Fridays at work, dinner parties, or general suit wearing for fun? You have to consider that 90% of people generally have no reason to wear a suit other than just for the fun of it. If you don't just casually wear suits often or have events where they may be appropriate, then maybe a $600 fun suit isn't a stellar purchase from a monetary perspective.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some advice. Trying to decide whether to keep the emerald green DB I posted a few pages back. I love the colour, but the piece was a bit of an impulse buy. I don't wear suits that often and I'm wondering when I'd use it. The fabric makes it a little more casual. Does anyone have any suggestions based on similar experiences?
Someone on this forum suggested I find occasions to wear the handful of suits in my closet. I got season tickets to our local live theatre company, and wear my suits when I go to a play.

Then my wife suggested I just wear a suit to work once or twice a week, losing the tie to dress it down. After 2 weeks nobody bugs me about it anymore.

[EDIT: That green db looks so good on you, @gianm ... I'd make up some reasons to wear it a lot.]

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone on this forum suggested I find occasions to wear the handful of suits in my closet. I got season tickets to our local live theatre company, and wear my suits when I go to a play.

Then my wife suggested I just wear a suit to work once or twice a week, losing the tie to dress it down. After 2 weeks nobody bugs me about it anymore.

[EDIT: That green db looks so good on you, @gianm ... I'd make up some reasons to wear it a lot.]

I can imagine the "why are you wearing a suit today?" questions at work even here in Toronto from co-workers so I can only imagine how bad that would be in Saskatoon.

Returningson

Reaction score
Has anyone had a chance to see what the Jort off-white suit looks and feels like in person? I am just really feeling the Pete Townshend Empty Glass album cover vibes.

stro

Reaction score
Thanks A! Just checked the prices, a bit to much for what I have in mind hehe.
i recently went with a faire bond collection briefcase after considering suitsupply and clegg and have been very happy with it. it's obviously not at a clegg level, but i prefer it to the handful of suitsupply products i was able to pinch and feel at the local store.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re finding occasions to wear a suit: I wear one whenever I feel like it. As much as I like ties, I rarely wear them. Without a tie you look put together without looking too dressed up. Ties give the impression of stuffiness in most situations these days.

Also, my MTM suit is basically ready. I'll pick it up in a few days. Not feeling super enthusiastic about it. It looked okay in the fitting, but not amazing considering the premium over RTW and the amount of time invested in the process.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i recently went with a faire bond collection briefcase after considering suitsupply and clegg and have been very happy with it. it's obviously not at a clegg level, but i prefer it to the handful of suitsupply products i was able to pinch and feel at the local store.
Thanks! Will take a look at them!

gianm

Reaction score
The new herringbone coat looks interesting. Not sure I could pull it off though. The grey/green check jacket also looks pretty good.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re finding occasions to wear a suit: I wear one whenever I feel like it. As much as I like ties, I rarely wear them. Without a tie you look put together without looking too dressed up. Ties give the impression of stuffiness in most situations these days.

Here I am in my counselling office at one of the elementary schools where I work. I just felt like wearing my light blue Napoli suit today. I consistently dress better than the principals. If anyone's embarrassed about it, they should be.

WIN_20181114_10_29_09_Pro.jpg

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new herringbone coat looks interesting. Not sure I could pull it off though. The grey/green check jacket also looks pretty good.
You should wear your gorgeous green Havana db a few times before you buy anything else. Throw it on and swagger out the door.

bitrave

Reaction score
Also, my MTM suit is basically ready. I'll pick it up in a few days. Not feeling super enthusiastic about it. It looked okay in the fitting, but not amazing considering the premium over RTW and the amount of time invested in the process.

That's an eye opener for the MTM. I have several RTW SuSu suits and honestly find the fit to be more than decent for the price (lengthwise, clean back, no sleeve pitch etc). I have tried a Havana-former-Hudson recently and absolutely fell in love with the fit. I was however thinking of going the MTM route to change some minor details such as flap pockets, no breast patch pocket etc to make it more business friendly. But for added time and higher price I would definitely expect MTM to at least provide a result higher than RTW.

I would love to hear any thoughts by anyone who has actually tried the MTM route.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's an eye opener for the MTM. I have several RTW SuSu suits and honestly find the fit to be more than decent for the price (lengthwise, clean back, no sleeve pitch etc). I have tried a Havana-former-Hudson recently and absolutely fell in love with the fit. I was however thinking of going the MTM route to change some minor details such as flap pockets, no breast patch pocket etc to make it more business friendly. But for added time and higher price I would definitely expect MTM to at least provide a result higher than RTW.

I would love to hear any thoughts by anyone who has actually tried the MTM route.

It depends on how far you stray from the base cut. In my case, it was a lot. If you want something closer to the regular fits, you'll probably be fine.

In my continuing saga, it turns out the trousers hadn't been altered, so the trip was a wash. I have to go back next week. Highly annoying.

I did however, have an interesting discussion with the manager regarding their Design Your Own programme. Turns out it is being expanded quite a bit, so will try that in the future. It's tailored in the factory, you can add fabric in the areas you need (the seat and thighs in my case), and you can change some details. It actually looks quite promising. There is a brown flannel Lazio I have my eye on whose fabric is not available in MTM.

Obviously being in the store I tried on a few things. Seems to me the jackets are a bit longer and are maybe tailored a bit better than in the past. The Lazio didn't look bad at all off the rack. That has not been my experience in the past.

Last edited:

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did however, have an interesting discussion with the manager regarding their Design Your Own programme. Turns out it is being expanded quite a bit, so will try that in the future. It's tailored in the factory, you can add fabric in the areas you need (the seat and thighs in my case), and you can change some details. It actually looks quite promising.
Great news. I ordered a Design Your Own Suit a few months ago, and there were very few customizations available. I liked the suit (a black Lazio in VBC with side adjusters on the trousers), but it still needed to go to the tailor for the same alterations my off-the-rack suits need.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabika