• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suitsupply Design Your Own Suit (DYOS)

JulianCB

Reaction score
I'm not sure how many of you noticed that Suitsupply recently replaced their Blue Line Tailoring with a new Design Your Own Suit (DYOS) option. This allows customers to choose between 50+ fabrics (I counted 71) and 6 different cuts and can now be ordered online.

I see it as a step up compared to the previous option where the only cut available was basically the Napoli and the price is still 399 EUR in Europe / $639 in the US (sorry guys!). The information about what is and not included is however hard to find even for employees so after having a lengthy discussion with their customer service I decided to share my findings with anyone out there who might be interested.

DYOS can be ordered in 3 ways:

• Directly on the website
  • Via the customer service (chat, phone or email)
  • In store

If you order directly on the website you can choose the fabric, cut and different sizes for the jacket and pants, however the fit is standard no other alterations are possible. If you need to change anything you will need to do so at your own cost after receiving the suit.

If you order in store or via the customer service is where things get interesting, because you can have your measurements taken in the store or provide them to the customer service, and have your suit made from the beginning based on your measurements at no extra cost. If the suit made based on your measurements doesn't fit right, they will make any necessary adjustments directly in store at no extra cost.

The following measurements and adjustments are possible with DYOS:
  • Jacket
    • Jacket Chest
    • Jacket Waist
    • Jacket Length
    • Sleeve Length
    • Narrowing of the collar
  • Trousers
    • Trouser Waist
    • Trouser Length
    • Front Rise
    • Hip
    • Knee
    • Ankle (leg opening)

An optional waistcoat and additional pair of pants can also be ordered.

I think this service covers all the basic adjustments; I see it as great value especially if you live in Europe since you can create a truly unique combination, much closer now to their MTM offering. I'm planning to try it out soon.

Julian

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your summary--very interesting! And please do follow up if you try it out.

And BTW you should post this to the "Suitsupply NYC" thread.

Last edited:

Aloysius16

Reaction score
That's interesting info. However, I asked about this with the online suit supply support, and they told me conclusively that it is not possible to have more specifications with the design your own suit programme if you order in store than if you order online. They said maybe in the future but not at the moment. Any idea why there are different messages?
I would be keen to have possibility of ordering a suit with altered jacket waist and trouser hips.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
I don't know if the problem was that I am in the UK, but the support person was Dutch and I think they were referring to arrangements in all store locations.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still crap and if ordered on line a surefire way of creating a disaster.

JulianCB

Reaction score
I'm sorry for the late reply. This is a pretty new feature and there might still be confusion between the customer service reps on how it works. I have the information above in an email from them that I can share with you. I also confirmed the same thing in the store in Zurich. Btw great customer service from the Suitsupply store in Zurich. I recently took the pants from a one year old suit there for a modification. They didn't come out quite the way we expected and after one attempt to fix it, they promptly proposed to reimburse me the full price of the suit, although it was worn. I gladly accepted.

stevebruce

Reaction score
Ive tried SuitSupply and whilst they are great value, I just go through them very quickly. But their store in Zurich is great, but I go bespoke now and they've lasted much longer. price wasnt too bad either.

Bruges

Reaction score
If you order in store or via the customer service is where things get interesting, because you can have your measurements taken in the store or provide them to the customer service, and have your suit made from the beginning based on your measurements at no extra cost. If the suit made based on your measurements doesn't fit right, they will make any necessary adjustments directly in store at no extra cost.

The following measurements and adjustments are possible with DYOS:
  • Jacket
    • Jacket Chest
    • Jacket Waist
    • Jacket Length
    • Sleeve Length
    • Narrowing of the collar
  • Trousers
    • Trouser Waist
    • Trouser Length
    • Front Rise
    • Hip
    • Knee
    • Ankle (leg opening)

An optional waistcoat and additional pair of pants can also be ordered.

I think this service covers all the basic adjustments; I see it as great value especially if you live in Europe since you can create a truly unique combination, much closer now to their MTM offering. I'm planning to try it out soon.

Julian
I don't think this is possible (anymore) Julian. You can mix and match different jacket/trousers standard sizes, but no adjustments when ordering, only alterations afterwards.

Bruges

Reaction score
It's made-to-order instead of made-to-measure, in that no actual changing of the pattern is done based on your measurements, but the closest size for jacket and pants can be selected, and the suit only goes into production after you purchase it (making it cost effective for them)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads