• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit coat/blazer/sport coat differences

NormP

Reaction score
I was satiating my new thrifting addiction at lunch today (for which I hold the thrifting finds thread accountable) and found an Oxxford for Neiman Marcus double breasted jacket today. It says "fawnskin" which i assume is some proprietary fabric. I was interested in it strictly for flipping since it wasn't my size, but hesitated because for some reason it gave me the impression of being the top half of a suit.

A lot of times I can tell when a pin striped or other patterned jacket is simply missing its pants but this one is a solid color and I don't think a guy that buys his clothes at Neiman Marcus would donate only half a suit. And the inside tag says "Onwentsia" but when I google that I read one guy saying its a sport coat and another talking about his onwentsia suit.

Long story short--from what I've turned up in searches here a blazer is primarily the typical navy or black jacket usually with gold buttons but how do you differentiate between a suit coat and sport coat when it's not painfully obvious? Are there model numbers that certain brands put on the material tags or does it just take a developed eye?

I have pictures if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads