• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit and Blazer suggestions

makeitright

Reaction score
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif]I live near DC and am looking for a suit which is no bigger than 36 short and a slimmer cut than most stores offer because the cuts are too loose for my build. I got 36 Short and slim by Joseph A. Banks, but it is too loose.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif]I'm considering Brooks Brothers, but I've also heard of Suit Source, Suit Supply.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Can you give me advice on getting suits by these sources?:[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif]-Martin Greenfield
-Southwick
-Brooks Brothers Milano or MTM
-Suit Supply
[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Thanks[/FONT]

Last edited:

TiberiasUSA

Reaction score
Martin Greenfield typically is more old school fuller american cut.

I believe BB owns southwick? anyways a lot of what BB sells suit wise comes out of southwick factories.

never heard of suitsource.

I'd def recommend trying out the Millano to see how that fits. If you are newer into suiting i'd always advise people to first try OTR until you get knowledgeable in suiting and what you want in a suit before attempting mtm

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Never heard of suit source before and the website's quite simple, makes me think twice of ordering there online.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you mean Suit Supply. I believe they just opened a DC store. They sell good quality suits for a good price, and tend to be very slim-fitting. I think they are exactly what you are looking for. Certainly worth a visit.

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit Supply would be the way to go. They have slim and very contemporary looks at great prices.

makeitright

Reaction score
Ah, yes I meant Suit Supply. How would you compare Suit Supply to the slim cut by Hugo Boss?

Thanks

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah, yes I meant Suit Supply. How would you compare Suit Supply to the slim cut by Hugo Boss?

Thanks

I don't know about Hugo boss cuts, but suit supply is better made. Suit supply actually offers a variety of cuts, ranging from slim to extremely slim

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Brooks Brothers has a more diverse line and suit options than Suit Supply, from what I can see on the online store.

Sure... if you're 50. Brooks brothers is way too conservative to have any of the contemporary look that he's looking for. Suit Supply's suits are generally very slim and satorialy correct to today's standards, not the 1930's.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sure... if you're 50.  Brooks brothers is way too conservative to have any of the contemporary look that he's looking for. Suit Supply's suits are generally very slim and satorialy correct to today's standards, not the 1930's. 

I don't know about this. Regent comes with a 7 inch drop and is relatively slim. Milano's even slimmer if you can get past the skinny lapels (maybe OP wants the more fashion forward lapel in addition to the fit, but can't be sure). I agree in general that Brooks Brothers is more conservative but I've been pleasantly surprised by some Regent / Milano offerings from time to time (can't do Fitzgerald, it's the darned center vent). Definitely avoid the Madison fit like the plague.

Worst case, he tries one of the slimmer fitting Brooks Brothers suits on and decides it's still not for him or that SuitSupply offers a better value proposition. Can't hurt to take a look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads