• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestion for a summer suit?

doublemazaa

Reaction score
I am in need of a summer suit for a March wedding in Palm Springs. I'm a slight fellow, 5'7", 120lbs. The wedding party is wearing white/tan seersucker.

I don't often have need for a summer suit, so I am open to options that would serve the same purpose without the same expense. Also I am not against buying something mediorce like jcrew or likewise, that will just be a cheap-ish suit that will serve the purpose, but would obviously rather buy something that isn't total crap.

Any suggestions for options?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ What are you looking to spend on this thing? Since the wedding is this month, you won't have time for any sort of custom or special order, so you're looking at buying something RTW.

You have a few choices. One is to get something that is obviously a summer suit (seersucker, linen, poplin). Another option is to get something with a bit more versatility that is also wearable during warm weather. A tropical weight wool suit in light grey could work here (Fresco and other open weaves are nice too but hard to find RTW) and may be something you get more wear out of outside of summer. You could also try to find a navy linen that might get a bit more use due to its color even though it is still in a casual summer fabric.

For pure summer fabrics, tan linen could work as could blue and white seersucker or a cream or light tan poplin. You can find decent options for those at Brooks Brothers and similar places. J Crew is not awful if you don't mind a more fashion forward cut.

It's hard to recommend a product without a sense of what you are willing to spend but these are a few thoughts.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd say light blue linen trumps beige/tan. Not quite as "classic" in terms of summer wear, but better, I think.

Also, tan doesn't work with as many skin tones and hair colors as does light blue.

doublemazaa

Reaction score
After an afternoon of shopping, I found two suits that could work. I seemed to be more drawn to the navy suits than the brown/tan/cream/gray ones. Only concern is that my more formal suit is also navy and I'm not sure I want to duplicate. Both fit great, though the Suit Supply one is a little better.

This one from JCrew

Or this one from suit supply

Are Suit Supply and JCrew of similar quality? What are you thoughts SF?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After an afternoon of shopping, I found two suits that could work. I seemed to be more drawn to the navy suits than the brown/tan/cream/gray ones. Only concern is that my more formal suit is also navy and I'm not sure I want to duplicate. Both fit great, though the Suit Supply one is a little better.

This one from JCrew

Or this one from suit supply

Are Suit Supply and JCrew of similar quality? What are you thoughts SF?

Too trendy= short and tight. Pocketsquareguy's suggestions especially the one from
B B are closer to classical, i. e. they won't look dated as soon as your choices. If you
don't want tan, look for other colors of psg's examples.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Stiva

Reaction score
The beige summer suit is a tricky thing. This is my cautionary tale. I lusted after one for years and 12 months ago had one made in a light VBC tropical wool - tried and tested tailor, fabric looked great in the swatch, and exactly the same cut as an airforce blue linen suit I had made at the same time (which is a great bit of kit). I've drawn a number of lessons from the experience, and my readings in the aftermath.

1. For some reason beige/stone/tan suits look best in cotton or linen or a blend of one of those fabrics. Wool, even light tropical wool, just doesn't look quite right in those colours. Fresco that colour might work, but I haven't seen one in the flesh. I came across this "not wool" theory once many years ago in a piece written by someone like Manton - but then forgot it, to my great disadvantage. Most of the good looking ones are either linen or a linen/cotton blend.

2. It is difficult to tell how the particular shade will go with your complexion. I thought a lighter stone would wash me out. But a slightly darker British tan - which is what I went with - can have a yellowish overtone that makes some people look like they've got raging Hep B. They don't work for low contrast types - whether pale skinned or dark skinned.

3. When it works, the beige-type summer suit is a fantastic look. But when it doesn't, the pale-skinned wearer can resemble a jaundiced wino. (Sadly, I'm drawing on my own experience in making that observation.).

Anyway, the moral of the story is to tread carefully when buying the beige-type summer suit. I am firmly in the blue camp - maybe even light grey. And not wool.

Regards
Stiva

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The beige summer suit is a tricky thing. This is my cautionary tale. I lusted after one for years and 12 months ago had one made in a light VBC tropical wool - tried and tested tailor, fabric looked great in the swatch, and exactly the same cut as an airforce blue linen suit I had made at the same time (which is a great bit of kit). I've drawn a number of lessons from the experience, and my readings in the aftermath.

1. For some reason beige/stone/tan suits look best in cotton or linen or a blend of one of those fabrics. Wool, even light tropical wool, just doesn't look quite right in those colours. Fresco that colour might work, but I haven't seen one in the flesh. I came across this "not wool" theory once many years ago in a piece written by someone like Manton - but then forgot it, to my great disadvantage. Most of the good looking ones are either linen or a linen/cotton blend.

2. It is difficult to tell how the particular shade will go with your complexion. I thought a lighter stone would wash me out. But a slightly darker British tan - which is what I went with - can have a yellowish overtone that makes some people look like they've got raging Hep B. They don't work for low contrast types - whether pale skinned or dark skinned.

3. When it works, the beige-type summer suit is a fantastic look. But when it doesn't, the pale-skinned wearer can resemble a jaundiced wino. (Sadly, I'm drawing on my own experience in making that observation.).

Anyway, the moral of the story is to tread carefully when buying the beige-type summer suit. I am firmly in the blue camp - maybe even light grey. And not wool.

Regards
Stiva

True. I have actually 2 bloody summer suits one in light beige and seconds one a bit medium tan. Such a fool. Light beige is all cotton. But too nice of a cotton. I have not worn this suit even a single day. Tried only at home.I just use the pants as odd trouser to go with my navy jacket. Second one is wool. I have worn the jacket only as odd jacket - twice at max. And I am even brown.

I see so many nice tan/beige suits on sale (reduced 90% by big names inc Caruso, even Brioni ) I laugh. I am tempted to try full on casual linen suit - but can't justify owning 3 tan suits.

Last edited:

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Thanks to you all for dampening my enthusiasm for a tan cotton suit this summer. It's kinda a reach for me, and would probably be just as happy in a light grey fresco thing. I already have an airforce blue fresco suit for the summer, which I love.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a tan cotton suit!!!!!

It doesn't get worn.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many with fair complexions appear washed out with a tan suit without a suntan. Most of all it is the shade of khaki that makes the greatest difference. Tans and khakis with a yellow or gold cast seem to washout the most. Unless you have a darker complexion true tan can also look a bit dull (without a suntan). A khaki with a hint of green or olive works best for my complexion but it isn't easy to find.

My three favorite summer suit colors are navy linen/cotton blend, olive cast khaki/tan, light putty. The last two require some contrast in your accessories to look their best. They are like a blank canvas and need some detail.

doublemazaa

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice.

For reference, here's the JCrew Ludlow in gray to see fit. I have pics of navy but the darker color makes it hard to see the fit in the picture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads