• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's with the Sanitation trucks? Do they actually do anything besides create a dust cloud and a lot of noise? They have this little dribbling squirter thing, which I assume is supposed to keep dust down, but it doesn't. Is the squirter thing alcohol, or some kind of sanitizer? Apparently these things cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, but what do we benefit from them?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
the one thing that baffles me is it mentions a 250 gallon water tank that sprays water at the rate of 7 gallons a minute. So that's basically 35 minutes of water. And then what? Does it empty its contents into a sewer, refill the water, and then continue? Or is it done for the day (not a union joke)?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Come-on, you know it was a union joke. I say they phase these bozos out through attrition. They are probably making $200,000 to do this job with full pensions.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Darwin called. He doesn't like the west side lines tonight.

the more I think about it, the more I believe this guy was getting knocked off sooner or later and that 18 years was a pretty good run.

it's hard for me to think of a more dangerous thing to do than cross to the other platform via the tracks, and I've actually seen people do it before. The thing is, it's not nice and neat down there and you have to be super careful of where you step. I'd fall on my clumsy ass immediately. If it rains, it's usually wet down there, and it was raining on Monday. This would make any metal or wooden stuff down there slippery. Assuming you navigate correctly, there's still the third rail which will fry you if you touch it (I once saw a video of a drunk hobo stumble around the tracks and right onto the third rail). Yes, i've pondered "I wonder how easy it would be to get across", and the conclusion has always been "not easy, it's stupid". Especially if there's any bit of alcohol in one's system, which apparently this kid had.

So yeah, crazy dangerous. But the thing is, this guy tried it at a station where there were express tracks in the middle. So twice as long across, twice as many rails, twice as many electrical rails. And in the two middle tracks you have express trains blasting through the station without stopping. He did it during rush hour when the trains run with the most frequency. And if there were the time tables at the station, they would have only indicated the local trains, not the express trains since they didn't stop there. And since it's so far across, there's no way he'd be able to see the time table of the local train running in the opposite direction.

so yeah, a good run.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
train ride this morning was awful, but this time the MTA had nothing to do with it. Walked on to a car with a bike and some woman (she was only sort of hot) who was a pole leaner. Frustrating.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads