• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Several years ago I was on the crowded train home and just one too many times I saw some goof eating his dinner in front of everyone. At that time I had a crew cut and looked pretty mean. I was also dead tired after a long day. I decided to get off at the next stop (long before my own stop) and took the gum out of my mouth. I tossed it into his dinner.
Then I said, 'See dummy, if you can use the train as your dining room, I can use your dinner tray as my trash can. You want anarchy? Follow me off the train and I'll give you some.' He just sat there. I don't think his brain had fully registered what I just did or said. I quickly scanned the other people around him. Smiles all around. He never got off the train to challenge me. Woe to the moron who behaves badly around me in public for I will deal with him or her and they are not going to like it.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Several years ago I was on the crowded train home and just one too many times I saw some goof eating his dinner in front of everyone. At that time I had a crew cut and looked pretty mean. I was also dead tired after a long day. I decided to get off at the next stop (long before my own stop) and took the gum out of my mouth. I tossed it into his dinner.
Then I said, 'See dummy, if you can use the train as your dining room, I can use your dinner tray as my trash can. You want anarchy? Follow me off the train and I'll give you some.' He just sat there. I don't think his brain had fully registered what I just did or said. I quickly scanned the other people around him. Smiles all around. He never got off the train to challenge me. Woe to the moron who behaves badly around me in public for I will deal with him or her and they are not going to like it.

And you wonder why you don't have a lot of facebook friends...

This is awesome, by the way.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And you wonder why you don't have a lot of facebook friends...

This is awesome, by the way.

Thanks. . It's true I don't 'have' many Facebook 'friends' but that was by my own choosing. The problem was that too many people wanted my time and I just don't have it to spare. I have a very small circle of real life friends that I can see or talk with on the phone or on Facebook or Skype video chat if we can't be in the same room together. I wish I had more time for everyone.
About that incident on the train...I felt bad about my resolve that day, but I saw no other way to deal with that person. Today, I am re-training myself to lower my expectations of people.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
since yesterday morning, 3 of the 4 trips i've taken via MTA have been disasters. The one that wasn't was at 10 PM at night.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Republicans seems to like this Lhota fellow for the next NYC mayor. On paper he looks good, but the fact that the MTA blows a fat one I am hesitant to support the guy. He does have a sweet beard though.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear you. Running the MTA should be a black mark, not a qualification given how ****** it is most of the time. And he's been there, what, two years? Not like it's changed substantially in those two years.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do realize that the union is most likely a large part of the problem, but still some of the stupid decisions they have made boggle my mind.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I almost feel bad for MTA commissioners--you're being set up to fail. But then I realize that at the end of the day, it's your job to make that **** run on time, and union or not, it's not. Had he maybe made a big fight out of it and lost, that'd be one thing. But so far it just seems like more of the same.

What did he even do? The fast track stuff, which can be good or bad depending, and opening up their scheduling and delay data for programmers (very smart move, but an intern could have told them that)... That's all I can think of.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

What did he even do? The fast track stuff, which can be good or bad depending, and opening up their scheduling and delay data for programmers (very smart move, but an intern could have told them that)... That's all I can think of.

i belive he was only in the job for a few months, maybe a year or two. The train time tables at a bunch of stations are great.

the big thing he did? Hurricane Sandy. The MTA was a sterling example of "lets get this **** back together" compared to PATH.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i belive he was only in the job for a few months, maybe a year or two. The train time tables at a bunch of stations are great.

the big thing he did? Hurricane Sandy. The MTA was a sterling example of "lets get this **** back together" compared to PATH.

I will say that I was very impressed at how quickly they got those tunnels open--those things were flooded end to end and they were open again within a week. Impressive.

However, I was under the impression (will try to find the article) that it was one of his underlings that was running that show--though of course he will get at least some of that credit. *That* guy should be promoted.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Time tables are good when they work and don't lie to you. I honestly never believe them anymore. It doesn't take much time riding the subway to realize that when the trains are fucked and there is a billion people on the platform they make them read 20 minutes + until the next train just so people get fed up and leave the platform. In reality, the next train is more likely to come in half the amount of time or less. They just lie to filter people out. Also, NQR at Union square they have never worked and just read the time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads