• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Student moving out for the first time - help and advice needed :)

henrikc

Reaction score
Will be watching this thread, I am in the same situation right now and it seems like there's a bunch of great tips here.

Another advice I got, if you don't own a car (I'm not going to, it's going to be too much and I won't need it, buses here in Norway are good in larger cities and I'll bring a bicycle for short trips), try to borrow one for the first few weeks. Will help out a lot when you're doing the first few trips to the store etc.

I suggest we make our own lists right after experiencing this, and write about the important things we forgot and generally how things went for future readers.

LucasCLarson

Reaction score
I read through this and there has been a lot of stuff mentioned that I keep with me at school. Spoopoker mentioned a ton of great things.

I eat very well on about $35 a week. Nothing gormet, but I'm healthy, alive, and kicking. I buy in bulk. Frozen fruits/veggies, a ton of frozen chicken breasts, lean ground turkey, beef, pork, fresh fruit, oatmeal, peanut butter, rice, EGGS, cheese, milk, protein powder, coffee.

Knife/handgun/rifle nearby
alarm clock
pens, pencils and paper (of course)
Good set of headphones
Razors/electric shaver
nail clipper
paper towels, TP
band aids
disinfectant
(first aid kit)
q tips
hangers
storage tubs (plastic)
laundry supplies (dryer sheets, detergent, etc)
Condoms
alcohol
desk lamp
books
movies
video games
CHARGERS for computer/phone/electronics
Posters and cheap art for the walls
carpet remnant or a decent rug

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Ill veer away from the food recs and give you some other kind of advice.
Here's what I did (at 17): My guess is that you are probably a little apprehensive about the new situation, as anyone would be - especially about moving out in times of stress. Moved only the clothes on my back. Moving day will be extremely hard and stressful, if you have a family member / SO with you, plan on getting in a fight. Never have anyone help you move. It spoils the Honeycomb Hideout factor. Your first night will be a little odd, knowing you have nobody to back you up in case of an emergency. Make sure the doors are locked, if you have an alarm system, make sure its on. It will help you sleep better. Security = door chain. It was off. Keep a weapon of some form close to the bed. First crib = first gun. 380 w/no rounds Know where the fusebox is and keep a flashlight handy. If your new crib features the old style fuses, move out quickly! Never run out of batteries, paper towels, beer, or toilet paper. Indeed. In the blackout a couple years back I ran out to the store for batteries and beer. True story. Your first grocery store trip, plan on spending $300 or so to stock up on canned goods, cleaning supplies, etc. for a "just in case" moment. Not true, 409, Ajax & frozen beef patties are your friends. Get a safe or lockbox. Not needed. Know where the closest fire dept. and police stations are located. Not needed as likely you are in the ghetto and such things don't exist.

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Incman
Thanks for the list, very helpful. And I don't have a place lined up for sure yet, but I'm going to see a place tomorrow that is a) in my budget and b) a place I could definitely see myself in. I'm at work right now, but I'll post the pics of it when I get home. Too much work to find and post pics from my iPhone.
Sorry, forgot to post these pics. Went to see the place today, was just as nice or nicer than the pics suggest. Pending approval on my student line of credit, this is the place I will be moving to. There is also a downstairs, but it is not inhabitable. It is like a crawlspace, 5 feet high and dirty, but there are washer and dryer hookups, which means no lugging clothes to the laundromat
smile.gif
And thank you everyone for all the fantastic suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming, I'm making lists.
smile.gif
51378ke_20.jpeg
2619nln_20.jpeg
9304ekl_20.jpeg
1794mkj_20.jpeg

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LucasCLarson
Wow, man. Nice looking place to a college student!

Thanks
smile.gif
And thanks a lot for your list of stuff, very helpful.

The place is in line with the prices of the hundreds of kijiji ads I've looked at in my area near the university, but it stood out to me as being miles above in terms of quality. It's 475 plus utilities/month. There is no central air, but I will be buying a high efficiency window unit, and the furnace is a brand new (couple months) high efficient unit, so hopefully utility costs will be reasonable. I'm absolutely stoked to finally be able to be independent.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Incman
Thanks
smile.gif
And thanks a lot for your list of stuff, very helpful.

The place is in line with the prices of the hundreds of kijiji ads I've looked at in my area near the university, but it stood out to me as being miles above in terms of quality. It's 475 plus utilities/month. There is no central air, but I will be buying a high efficiency window unit, and the furnace is a brand new (couple months) high efficient unit, so hopefully utility costs will be reasonable. I'm absolutely stoked to finally be able to be independent.

Is this place in Toronto?

LucasCLarson

Reaction score
I'm in a 4 br, 1100 sq. ft for $680 a bedroom. Not nearly as clean as your place either.

I know it doesn't compare to a place like LA or NYC, but it's pretty outrageous in my eyes.

LucasCLarson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
^ damn, you're getting the shaft man. 2800 a month for 1100 square feet?

Yeah. It's pretty nuts.

I have a couple of buddies who pay $1800 for 500sq. ft. Ludicrous.

I guess that's what happens around such a large campus. Insane demand bumps the prices up.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Yes but that's stupid enough that living far away would mean your rent savings would subsidize a car lease. Actually assuming rent further away is more or less reasonable, you could probably subsidize a really NICE car with those savings.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Here's what I did (at 17):

Wait wait wait - you say you dont need a safe or lockbox, dont lock your door, and you dont have to worry about where the closest police and fire depts are?

Are you the Fresh Prince of Bel Air?

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Wait wait wait - you say you dont need a safe or lockbox, dont lock your door, and you dont have to worry about where the closest police and fire depts are?

Are you the Fresh Prince of Bel Air?

I'm pretty sure he was trolling. But idk, because his first post in this thread was very helpful.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LucasCLarson
Yeah. It's pretty nuts.

I have a couple of buddies who pay $1800 for 500sq. ft. Ludicrous.

I guess that's what happens around such a large campus. Insane demand bumps the prices up.

Do you goto school in Minneapolis? Because if so, I don't know how/why you would spend that much because you can find much cheaper. I am willing to bet the supply was a lot lower in Madison and rent was nowhere near that high.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintusingay