• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stretch chinos that doesnt become loose?

Complexo

Reaction score
My usual experience with elastane is that it loosens up after only a few wears. Recently I bought these chinos fra Banana Republic: http://bananarepublic.gap.eu/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=000488420U014-17317 And they fit me amazingly when I first tried them on. Now, after wearing them for a total of 4 days, the waistline has become loose - I can now put both hands down the back-side without much effort. Buying them even smaller and then making them bigger, seems obvious, but the thighs are still good, so I suspect they'd be too tight.

Are there any general advice one can use to avoid buying stretch chinos that loosens up, or do they all do and one just have to buy really really tight and wait?

I hope someone has some input :)

ThomGault

Reaction score
My usual experience with elastane is that it loosens up after only a few wears. Recently I bought these chinos fra Banana Republic: http://bananarepublic.gap.eu/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=000488420U014-17317 And they fit me amazingly when I first tried them on. Now, after wearing them for a total of 4 days, the waistline has become loose - I can now put both hands down the back-side without much effort. Buying them even smaller and then making them bigger, seems obvious, but the thighs are still good, so I suspect they'd be too tight.

Are there any general advice one can use to avoid buying stretch chinos that loosens up, or do they all do and one just have to buy really really tight and wait?

I hope someone has some input :)
My solution is to not buy stretchy clothing. Chinos shouldn't be tight enough that they need to stretch. Try 100% cotton. Or a belt.

Dapperish

Reaction score
I gave up on the whole stretchy thing awhile ago. I stick with the advice of the previous comment, 100% Cotton or GTFO

Reaction score
I actually bought a pair of stretch chinos from an article I read. It recommended a pair from J crew. I've had them for awhile now and they've kept up their tightness and haven't gave in yet. Not sure if I just got a good quality pair of all of em are made like this.

Marilon

Reaction score
I bought several different stretch chino brands to test out and did a full review on each. I actually included the J crews as well for a full breakdown. The biggest note is to make sure you accommodate your calf and thigh sizes.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incotex makes nice chinos that are only 2 percent elastane—just enough to help them hug a bit, you almost can’t tell. They are Italian and not cheap but very well made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads