• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steel Toe vs Soft Toe Workboots

tbraver

Reaction score
I wear boots everyday and it used to be that steel toe was required and that has saved my feet many times over but now we are required to get safety toe. I am not fully sure of the difference but I was told the steel toe cut cause you to lose a toe or more in a accident. I have found that the safety toe makes for a less cold foot though. That's a bonus! I also like the Redwing boots and just got the tactical looking side zip pair. They feel like I'm only wearing sneakers although they probably won't last as long as the leather boots.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
After lots of demolition I think the boots I chose are not for me and I doubt I can sell them. I stepped on quite a few nails but none actually made it into my foot.

1) I have a wide forefoot and after hours of wear, the steel does not stretch and my toes start to hurt quite a bit
2) I dropped some 2x4s on my foot just above the steel toe and it hurt like hell because the leather going across the top of my foot is tight across and only one layer since there are no laces and tongue.

I'm going to buy another pair of boots but don't see myself requiring anything too heavy from hear on out.

Do yourself a favor and buy a pair of "roebucks" from Sears. 35 for a regular boot, 39 for a steel toe. I just bought a new pair after the ones I bought 10 yrs ago needed to be replaced. Best deal you will find. Very comfortable too. Check them out.

dl

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just found a nearby boot store that sells a bunch of nice work boots. They directed me to a brand called Thorogood that is made in Wisconsin (?) that uses leather from the Red Wing tannery. The styles are similar and the shoes are 50% the price. I just picked up a pair of soft toes for $125.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks to be just as well made as the Red Wings, are Made in USA, and the leather has no discernible difference from the Red Wings. With a price tag half that of RW I'd try them out.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd rather have steel-shank or penetration-resistant footbeds than a steel toe, but that's just me. I've logged a lot of miles in work boots, and if you're wearing them a long time the extra weight of steel toes is noticable. You're already getting a big upgrade from a thin leather or canvas tennis shoe to a thick leather workboot. You can probably get something decent at ___Mart for $50.

justinpba

Reaction score
I have worn steel toes for the past 8 years (required by work) and wouldn't wear anything else. When I was in the navy I wore the crappy "boondockers" that sold for about fifty bucks and lasted 4-6 months. The hospital I work at now provides a boot allotment and I've been wearing the same pair of redwings for almost two years now and they still have a lot of life left, not to mention they're actually pretty comfy too. Spend the extra money and get a good pair of shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics