• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting Soccer

worldrunner

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hopefully you can help me out. I really want to start playing soccer. I have never played it competitively although I am 22 now. I am very athletic and plenty of endurance so I dont think that would be an issue. (i played varsity football and basketball in h.s. and ran D1 xc and track in college). However, I do not know where to start. I live in Milpitas,CA and was wondering if anyone knew where there are any leagues around or pickup games or anything like that. I have no problem shooting or anything like that as I use to mess around on the soccer field with some of the europeans on the golf team. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Since you have the base (and more) fitness level already taken care of, nothing more to say but hit up those PuGs. I used to play alot when I was younger but stopped from high school onwards. Once I found a PuG at a nearby park, it was only a matter of a week or two before I really started to get back into it.

If you want a really different style of play, look for an indoor league. It'll really test your footwork.

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Info regarding what? Facilities where you can play at? If your city has some recreation department, hit them up and they could probably guide you to leagues you can play in. Do you work at the moment? If so, ask around and see if any guys at the office play. There are so many indoor leagues you could probably find for both men and coed.

fleet on feet

Reaction score
If I were you, I would go to a local park and hop into a competitive pick up game to get better before you join a league that would be taken more seriously. Its always best not to make a fool of yourself whenever possible.

worldrunner

Reaction score
My biggest problem is that soccer isnt played at local parks. I sometimes see cricket being played there.

kakemono

Reaction score
Find a youth league signup and ask if they have an adult league. Most youth leagues have a grab-all league for adults. It will usually be a bunch of parents of kids in the league.

This is my experience in Tennessee where I haven't found a big league that DOESN'T have an adult league. Some even have competitive/beginner leagues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads