• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting over. Where shoud I move to?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If I was in the same situation, and liked white girls, I'd roll a dice and pick one of the large midwestern college towns.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I would do one of two things. I would either move out West to a city that is growing or move to the Rust Belt to a city that is either in decline or had/having hard times.

West: Vegas, Santa Fe, Albequerque, Phoenix, Denver to name a few.

Rust Belt: Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh to name a few.

What they both have in common is a great palate to totally reinvent yourself and that sounds like what you want to do.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
In my opinion, a man's reinvention is not a prescribed, controlled thing where you just buy a bunch of new clothes and a haircut and start on day 1; it's a natural thing, and if you're talking about building up the psyche or healing a hurting one - it's cliche, but it's nothing a bunch of easy lays can't cure. You obviously need to keep a realistic hold on yourself and remember what reality is, but getting far away, maybe taking it easy and not challenging yourself at first might be best.
Moving around when you're young is easy, moving around as an adult is less easy. Takes time to settle in. I have been moving around all my life, literally every year since I was a pre-school kid. Moved just a couple months ago and it's beginning to hit me a lot harder this time, I think because I'm getting older and I am done working on myself, I'm happy with what I've become, at least as a base. Now i'm just more worried about taking care of my people. Having just moved from a city where I felt Iike I'd mastered a lot of its facets, could get and do anything I wanted - my new surroundings are big, a little daunting at times.... so i think if OP was just looking to have some fun times, maybe get back in touch with his core self, then maybe shooting fish in a barrel wouldn't be a bad idea.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How old are you? What do you do?

Those are two major constraints on any answer.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy :censored: I can't BELIEVE two people actually recommended Cleveland! OP just got out of a long-term relationship....we want him to revive & reinvent himself.... not die a thousand deaths in the Midwest's 2nd most depressing city! (Sorry Detroit) ;)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Holy :censored: I can't BELIEVE two people actually recommended Cleveland! OP just got out of a long-term relationship....we want him to revive & reinvent himself.... not die a thousand deaths in the Midwest's 2nd most depressing city! (Sorry Detroit) ;)

I also mentioned Detroit.

Seriously, nothing like the melancholy pervading a failing rust belt city for someone that just got out of a long term relationship.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll offend a lot of people by saying this, but...:

I wouldn't live in any other American city but San Diego, Denver, Seattle, Portland, Boston, NYC, San Francisco, or Chicago (and maybe a couple more I have forgotten). People can say what they want about how Cleveland and Cincinnati are "up and coming cities" or how Phoenix and Scottsdale are a great "bang for the buck" but the fact of the matter is that second tier cities like that suck. They're sprawled out, they have little in the way of culture, the culinary scene is usually garbage, and you'll lose touch with the finer things in life the minute you settle down.

Life is too short to live in crappy cities, no matter what you might try to tell yourself.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I wouldn't live in any other American city but San Diego, Denver, Seattle, Portland, Boston, NYC, San Francisco, or Chicago (and maybe a couple more I have forgotten). People can say what they want about how Cleveland and Cincinnati are "up and coming cities" or how Phoenix and Scottsdale are a great "bang for the buck" but the fact of the matter is that second tier cities like that suck. They're sprawled out, they have little in the way of culture, the culinary scene is usually garbage, and you'll lose touch with the finer things in life the minute you settle down.
Life is too short to live in crappy cities, no matter what you might try to tell yourself.

Lulz @ Portland or Denver being in a higher tier than Scottsdale. Portland = 97% white. Right there it's hard to recommend.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lulz @ Portland or Denver being in a higher tier than Scottsdale. Portland = 97% white. Right there it's hard to recommend.

Scottsdale is a terrible place to live unless you are interested in retirees and golf. Portland wouldn't be my first choice but at least they have interesting restaurants and you can move around without spending $500 on gas every month.

As I said, you can tell yourself whatever you want but there are only a handful of cities in the US that can offer enough for someone who has even a passing interest in art, culture, good food, etc.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I grew up in Cincinnati and did my undergrad in Cleveland!! How dare you!! ;) haha... I don't disagree with you in the least... in fact b/c of my preference for warm weather I couldn't see myself living anywhere in the US but LA or San D.

ZhiMingBuFanDe

Reaction score
Time seems to move slower in San Diego...

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with this except, and maybe I'm just tired of the PNW, but I really don't think Seattle and Portland belong in the same category as Boston or NYC. There's a lot of 'counter' culture in the PNW but that's about it... just as an example, there's only 1 medical school in all of washington and 1 in oregon, and only a couple more law schools- in boston and nyc there are dozens, that are the best in the world, so you get a much higher concentration of highly educated young people. Yes there are a scattering of hip/classy restaurants, but they tend to be imitative of something you'd see on the east coast anyway.

To me, being able to split my time between a very rural and very urban location would be ideal... nothing in between.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

How old are you? What do you do?
Those are two major constraints on any answer.

If you think about it, and if you really take this whole 'reinvention' thing literally - neither would matter.

Jamesgatz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seconding PSguy, how about moving abroad? Netherlands, for example, has a lot to offer. There's a guy over at WAYWRN who could you a few tips about local sense of style etc.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads