• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting a website with no computer background?

inq89

Reaction score
I've always wanted to be an entrepreneur, but as a upcoming full time grad student, I don't have enough side time nor enough money. Naturally, I'm thinking the internet is the way to go even though it is extremely lucrative. Problem is, I am not like the guys behind Facebook and APlentyofFish because I have zero programming and computer knowledge, outside running a personal blog. I have an idea that could be successful; it would be built on a forum-type platform and be user-driven, although it will not be your standard forum like SF and be a unique site along the lines of communication sites like Twitter or FMyLife. Knowing I should not start the site expecting to make $$$, I'd use Adsense, sponsors, etc. to cover the costs and make at least a little profit. I've already talked with my local SBA counselor on my college campus, but she is uneducated about this topic and is currently looking for a computer professor to assist me. What are my options to get this website created on a limited budget? Should I hire a computer science student, or just suck it up and learn HTML and make the site myself? All that is needed is a simple design without the bells and whistles (a la Craigslist). I've looked into vBulletin and other forum hosts, but it is limited on what I am trying to do, and thus I need a custom site.

Or would I be going way over my head and just drop the idea now?

axe

Reaction score
Have you considered partnering with someone who has the technical skills you require? A friend, someone from school, etc?

J Darnielle

Reaction score
Consider a site like ELance. You can find a competent programmer to build anything you'd need for < $250.

Cavalier

Reaction score
HTML is not going to help you make a site like CL

I would say your best bet is to hire a foreigner to do the actual coding, and then have a friend help with the design.

Also depends what you want to do... there are scripts for many things out there already

J Darnielle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
HTML is not going to help you make a site like CL

I would say your best bet is to hire a foreigner to do the actual coding, and then have a friend help with the design.

Also depends what you want to do... there are scripts for many things out there already

There are knock-off scripts for basically every site like eBay, Paypal, CL, etc. They might even be free. Get someone to install them for $20. Then hire out the design.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Would you start a restaurant without knowing how to cook? This seems like a bad idea. What will you do if there are problems with the site, or if something needs to be changed? It's not economically feasible to pay a programmer every time something goes wrong. I'd suggest at least learning the basics of programming before you launch into this...

inq89

Reaction score
Thanks for all of these great tips. Hiring a friend sounds logical, and I do have a cousin who's worked on computers but I don't know the extent of his programming skills.

Elance.com looks like a great site and I'll definitely have to look at it further.

Are scripts the "stuff" that run a website and its features (noob question I'm sure). Because I have a feeling what I want is probably already out there, since it's a mixture of blogger and forum- type messaging. So theoretically, I could hire a free lancer and tell him what I want, and he should be able to just install a pre-made script, and therefore not charge me for a completely custom code?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ning.com ? if its social networking.....

you can bid out through elance.....just have to be agressive in followup, I've noticed people from out of the country just don't think the way you want them to.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pm me. i've built everything from 3 million dollar enterprise sites to 3000 blogs. if i can't help you i'm sure i know someone who can. lots of customizeable options that work pretty well off the shelf.

Originally Posted by inq89
I've always wanted to be an entrepreneur, but as a upcoming full time grad student, I don't have enough side time nor enough money. Naturally, I'm thinking the internet is the way to go even though it is extremely lucrative. Problem is, I am not like the guys behind Facebook and APlentyofFish because I have zero programming and computer knowledge, outside running a personal blog. I have an idea that could be successful; it would be built on a forum-type platform and be user-driven, although it will not be your standard forum like SF and be a unique site along the lines of communication sites like Twitter or FMyLife. Knowing I should not start the site expecting to make $$$, I'd use Adsense, sponsors, etc. to cover the costs and make at least a little profit. I've already talked with my local SBA counselor on my college campus, but she is uneducated about this topic and is currently looking for a computer professor to assist me. What are my options to get this website created on a limited budget? Should I hire a computer science student, or just suck it up and learn HTML and make the site myself? All that is needed is a simple design without the bells and whistles (a la Craigslist). I've looked into vBulletin and other forum hosts, but it is limited on what I am trying to do, and thus I need a custom site.

Or would I be going way over my head and just drop the idea now?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
totally different. the web is only the vehicle. he's not trying to become a coder.

Originally Posted by inq89
Thanks for all of these great tips. Hiring a friend sounds logical, and I do have a cousin who's worked on computers but I don't know the extent of his programming skills.

Elance.com looks like a great site and I'll definitely have to look at it further.

Are scripts the "stuff" that run a website and its features (noob question I'm sure). Because I have a feeling what I want is probably already out there, since it's a mixture of blogger and forum- type messaging. So theoretically, I could hire a free lancer and tell him what I want, and he should be able to just install a pre-made script, and therefore not charge me for a completely custom code?

corporate111

Reaction score
You don't need to know the first damn thing about programming to start something like eBay.

What you need is to know your market, have the interpersonal skills to get financial backing, and then hire someone to make it for you.

The guys who made eBay didn't make it what it is today, in any sense, by themselves. They had lots and lots of help and lots and lots of money. You'll need the same.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Before you start any company, please for the love of all that is good, do your due diligence! You will be very glad that you did.
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads