• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

weissmenswear

Reaction score
any pics?
Did you take your normal size or size up? I ask because my normal size 40 is sold out.

No pics yet, technically a Christmas gift from my wife, so I could only try on for sizing. I also wear a 40R in Spier for suits and sport coats and I went with 40 for the polo coat. I could see where some guys might want to size up one when wearing a lot of layers underneath for some extra room, but I honestly really love how tailored the 40 looks buttoned up, and I’ll wear a lot of lighter layers like sweaters underneath for a good portion of the winter. I didn’t think it was uncomfortable at all with a sport coat on underneath, plenty of maneuverability, just extra warm.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
any pics?
Did you take your normal size or size up? I ask because my normal size 40 is sold out.

I think you could safely go up one size. You don't NEED to but in my experience it didn't look oversized when I did and probably made it slightly easier to wear over a suit. I did get mine (which I ordered one size up) taken in at the waist and I'm now very happy with the fit with and without a suit underneath.

ETA: Overall I think the polo coats are fantastic. Can be worn dressed up with a suit but at the same time I don't feel awkward wearing mine with jeans and a sweater. The collar can be put up and will stay up. Shape is very flattering. At 20% off its a no-brainer.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI...Just noticed the Brown stripe and Ecru oxford fabrics got posted for MTM. I went ahead and ordered on the BF2019 sale. 3 shirts with monogram and MOP buttons for >$185. Such a good value.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No pics yet, technically a Christmas gift from my wife, so I could only try on for sizing. I also wear a 40R in Spier for suits and sport coats and I went with 40 for the polo coat. I could see where some guys might want to size up one when wearing a lot of layers underneath for some extra room, but I honestly really love how tailored the 40 looks buttoned up, and I’ll wear a lot of lighter layers like sweaters underneath for a good portion of the winter. I didn’t think it was uncomfortable at all with a sport coat on underneath, plenty of maneuverability, just extra warm.
I think you could safely go up one size. You don't NEED to but in my experience it didn't look oversized when I did and probably made it slightly easier to wear over a suit. I did get mine (which I ordered one size up) taken in at the waist and I'm now very happy with the fit with and without a suit underneath.

ETA: Overall I think the polo coats are fantastic. Can be worn dressed up with a suit but at the same time I don't feel awkward wearing mine with jeans and a sweater. The collar can be put up and will stay up. Shape is very flattering. At 20% off its a no-brainer.

Thanks for the insight gents. I’ll think on it some more.

RyanChiato

Reaction score
Just received the S&M Harris Tweed sport coat. I ordered as recommended by Spier Customer service, my regular Brooks Bros size 40R in Neapolitan Slim Fit. Gents I gotta say the fit is HUGE! Really happy with the fabric but wishing now i sized down. Gonna see it the tailor thinks he can make it work ?

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at the enabler being enabled :bigstar:
so true ? @Burzan is definitely responsible for at least 3 unnecessary (but loved) sport coat purchases since May!

hahaha I’m good within my comfort zone but stepping outside of it can sometimes need the help of you guys.

I might need to just wait and save my funds for the summer tweed MTO

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received the S&M Harris Tweed sport coat. I ordered as recommended by Spier Customer service, my regular Brooks Bros size 40R in Neapolitan Slim Fit. Gents I gotta say the fit is HUGE! Really happy with the fabric but wishing now i sized down. Gonna see it the tailor thinks he can make it work ?
First time I've ever heard of someone complaining that S&M sizes are larger than a Brooks Bros. You sure you got a 40R? Did you measure it and check it against the size chart?

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BFE43390-962D-43CC-A8B3-271D08206C12.jpeg

Honey linen silk suit and bengal stripe shirt from S&M

Whole outfit was $350 CAD excluding the shoes - wonderful value..

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, got 3 sweaters today. Two are the cable knit in cream and navy and a navy crew neck

Do you guys hand wash these prior to wearing them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads