• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More balmacaan chat
The balmacaan has more length, in the same size, than the polos and the overcoat sb and db.
I like that extra length and would like to see the polos and overcoats get longer than the present knee-high standard.
Extra length aside, I prefer the polos and sb and db overcoats. Just one mans opinion.

Lot of folks lobbied for balmacaans. Hope they are buying.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More balmacaan chat
The balmacaan has more length, in the same size, than the polos and the overcoat sb and db.
I like that extra length and would like to see the polos and overcoats get longer than the present knee-high standard.
Extra length aside, I prefer the polos and sb and db overcoats. Just one mans opinion.

Lot of folks lobbied for balmacaans. Hope they are buying.
+1 on the longer length.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
I just went ahead and bought a couple sizes of the grey balmacaan. We'll see what works. I think the houndstooth would have been more appealing had the pattern been a little smaller, like the Beams version in Harris tweed, but I've always wanted a grey one anyways. I've had my eye on a Magee tweed model for years, but unfortunately those are hard to find in my size. Once again, I'm very happy that S&M offers a wide array of sizes, and lengths, at a reasonable price. I'm sure the US $1,400 model at O'Connell's is great, but based on last year's Polo coat I think I'll be satisfied with the Zanieri version.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are higher rise, side adjustable trousers only available as separates; & with the Neapolitan fit? I’m trying to figure out my first adventure with S&M tailoring.

Also, anyone find their Short jackets too short? From the measurements, it looks like I might be better served going with a regular.

Thanks!
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm a fair bit taller than you and I just take a regular. The neapolitan fits me better as the cut is a bit longer.

The overall proportions are a bit more "aggressive" so keep that in mind. Higher rise, higher armholes, bigger lapels, *more* of a head-on appearance when meeting someone for coffee, muffins or even a cheery danish.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone asked about popping collars (lol) on SB overcoats a while back and I forgot to snap a pic

20191020_102152.jpg
20191020_102247.jpg

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone asked about popping collars (lol) on SB overcoats a while back and I forgot to snap a pic

View attachment 1263174 View attachment 1263175
Thanks, Ez. That was my ridiculous-sounding question. In Saskatchewan the wind is relentless, and pulling the collar up is a survival strategy. Some collars don’t stay up, but that one looks perfect.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are higher rise, side adjustable trousers only available as separates; & with the Neapolitan fit? I’m trying to figure out my first adventure with S&M tailoring.

Also, anyone find their Short jackets too short? From the measurements, it looks like I might be better served going with a regular.

Thanks!
Without knowing dimensions, I’d consider going regular. I’m right on the border of S/R, and I think the R (at least for SM RTW) is much better. Another benefit is the lowered button stance.
I wish it got cold enough here for a nice coat. Still seersucker weather here. S&M shirt/jacket/trou

View attachment 1262675
View attachment 1262674

and thank you @yungchomsky for the shirt
Everything is so money, though I’d prefer full suit. Seersucker, even navy tonal, feel wrong as an odd jacket to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads