• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are higher rise, side adjustable trousers only available as separates; & with the Neapolitan fit? I’m trying to figure out my first adventure with S&M tailoring.

Also, anyone find their Short jackets too short? From the measurements, it looks like I might be better served going with a regular.

Thanks!

dazedstate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish it got cold enough here for a nice coat. Still seersucker weather here. S&M shirt/jacket/trou

IMG_20191019_113034.jpg

IMG_20191019_114009.jpg

and thank you @yungchomsky for the shirt

theh00d

Reaction score
I wear 36R Slim in the neopolitan cut, wonder if I can get away with a 38S....

Also anyone have the shorts and can comment on them?

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
Are higher rise, side adjustable trousers only available as separates; & with the Neapolitan fit? I’m trying to figure out my first adventure with S&M tailoring.

Also, anyone find their Short jackets too short? From the measurements, it looks like I might be better served going with a regular.

Thanks!

Hi Macjedi,

I'm 5' 7" and wear a Spier Mackay 40 Short. Length is ideal for me.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok ok you got us there in terms of pickyness hehe.

Styfo and userbase is awesome, but I'm not on board with this Balmacaan.

Why did everyone want this? It looks like a shapeless sack of cloth. It's why I keep pushing for a belt to add some shape.

Even the one poster mentioned how it looks great with a couple of buttons undone.

Well, to me, having to undo a bunch of buttons on a winter coat defeats the purpose of a winter coat.
A balmacaan is a shapeless bag of cloth. Google it. I hope you didn’t order one, hoping for something form fitting. The disappointment and then the hassle of packing it up and schlepping it to the post office are a drag.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit of feedback for Spier & Mackay on their website...

Searching for trousers is a bit difficult. I think having more categories or filters for things like loops vs side tabs, season, cut, etc. would be helpful. There doesn't seem to be any order to it and it makes it difficult for me.
Welcome to Spier world, Superflu. The filters don’t work. It’s an old unresolved issue and makes us all work harder to find things to lust after.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A balmacaan is a shapeless bag of cloth. Google it. I hope you didn’t order one, hoping for something form fitting. The disappointment and then the hassle of packing it up and schlepping it to the post office are a drag.
Oh I'm aware of the silhouette, I was bitchy about there being no belt.

I like my belts.

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, that is My understanding of the current availability. Higher rise trousers are only available with Neapolitan suits, or in a few select fabric offerings as standalone pieces.

Thanks!

The Neapolitan jackets are about a half inch longer than the standard cut. For me, the regular length is pretty classic at just over 30" in the 42R... And in line with many other OTR brands.

ElliotG

Reaction score
Yes, that is My understanding of the current availability. Higher rise trousers are only available with Neapolitan suits, or in a few select fabric offerings as standalone pieces.

The Neapolitan jackets are about a half inch longer than the standard cut. For me, the regular length is pretty classic at just over 30" in the 42R... And in line with many other OTR brands.

However, not all Neapolitan suits have high rise side adjuster pants

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads