• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AGlorifiedCrew

Reaction score
Maybe it’s just seeing the trend over social media or Pitti, but I recently converted to the single pleat high-rise pant with side adjusters after years considering it “old man pants”, and I can’t go back to belts and low rise. I think if you have a trim fitted suit, and keep yourself in above average shape the clean line that goes from shirt to trouser looks impeccable. I also love how a quality threefold tie contrasts against pants without the distracting flash of a belt line. Oh...and no more trying to spend hundreds on matching shell belts.

I think what’s throwing a lot of people off with the no belt and pleats look is we’re used to seeing those styles in media with some of the more trad and fuller-cut suit designs that you’ll typically see in a Drake’s look book that seem a bit frumpy or like some expensive Mr. Bean cosplay.

I made it a point to keep these slim (but not spray-painted tight) with a proportioned taper, and I think it’s a way cleaner look than the lower rise, belt loop flat-fronts GQ’s been pushing for the past 10 years.

mq9Gcy7.jpg

I wish Spier made every trouser with side tabs.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Some great new arrivals, nice work guys. My only comment is that you need to retire side tabs for now. Enough already. The guys that like them have more than had their chance. But far more people are indifferent or, like me, hate them with the intensity of a thousand suns.

Then you are going to kill me when the fresco and cotton/linen come out.

Thilgela

Reaction score
Maybe it’s just seeing the trend over social media or Pitti, but I recently converted to the single pleat high-rise pant with side adjusters after years considering it “old man pants”, and I can’t go back to belts and low rise. I think if you have a trim fitted suit, and keep yourself in above average shape the clean line that goes from shirt to trouser looks impeccable. I also love how a quality threefold tie contrasts against pants without the distracting flash of a belt line. Oh...and no more trying to spend hundreds on matching shell belts.

I think what’s throwing a lot of people off with the no belt and pleats look is we’re used to seeing those styles in media with some of the more trad and fuller-cut suit designs that you’ll typically see in a Drake’s look book that seem a bit frumpy or like some expensive Mr. Bean cosplay.

I made it a point to keep these slim (but not spray-painted tight) with a proportioned taper, and I think it’s a way cleaner look than the lower rise, belt loop flat-fronts GQ’s been pushing for the past 10 years.

mq9Gcy7.jpg

I wish Spier made every trouser with side tabs.

Agree with every point, especially on the matching belt with shoes part. With side tabs, you open up more options in terms of shoes that you don't have a matching belt. Belts are, IMO, redundant. They are not that comfortable either.

From a weight fluctuation standpoint, you can go with a fuller waist pants and use suspenders, which provide both elegance and comfort.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with every point, especially on the matching belt with shoes part. With side tabs, you open up more options in terms of shoes that you don't have a matching belt. Belts are, IMO, redundant. They are not that comfortable either.

From a weight fluctuation standpoint, you can go with a fuller waist pants and use suspenders, which provide both elegance and comfort.
Agreed 100%. I hate belts.

Side tabs also just offer a cleaner silhouette.

As for pleats, I like them too actually. I don't need them, but I like the visual interest they lend.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with the hate on side adjusters? I just got my first pair of pants with them from Luxire and thought they're pretty comfortable and I actually prefer them.

They're on normal rise flannel pants.

One guy, citing a random sample of SF users (sample size: 1), declared them Unpopular.
Like its tough to find belt loops. :rolleyes2:

Thilgela

Reaction score
In the interest of not desecrating the dead horse, I'll rotate subjects: for those of you who have made the move to MTM/MTO shirts, how do you begin?

I have 15 3/4 neck measurement but only 15 body measurement. Nothing RTW will fit me, lol. The only way to go is MTM.

Thilgela

Reaction score
In the interest of not desecrating the dead horse, I'll rotate subjects: for those of you who have made the move to MTM/MTO shirts, how do you begin?

I'd suggest order one with the measurement of your best fitting shirt and tweak a bit to your specification. It typically takes 2-3 iterations to get perfect fit.

Identity Crisis

Reaction score
Thankfully the site is down to cut my temptation of adding the tobacco fresco to my grey one...

Not sure if the tobacco fits me but the FOMO is real

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads