• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Placed my first order over the weekend for some sweaters and khaki's. Looking forward to seeing how they compare. Can OTR pants be hemmed before shipping? If so what is the up charge?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Debating between one of two suits- the gray prince of Wales check (new, for $348) or the VBC/Neo prince of Wales check (clearance for $349). On the new model, I like the patch pockets, the slightly darker shade of gray, and the slightly heavier weight with 1/4 lining. On the old model, I like the Neo cut/ 3/2 roll. The price is essentially the same, which leaves a not insignificant portion of my decision to fabric. I already have two VBC suits and really like the fabric, but I’ve never tried Dino Filarte. Part of me says “stick with what I know” (the VBC), the other part says try something new (DF).

I guess what I’m asking for is thoughts on the DF fabric. I think I’m leaning towards the new model because of the darker shade of gray, but thoughts on either of these two is appreciated.

CMAc7

Reaction score
167108AB-4F96-4F42-8DF1-4F28EE7AD82C.jpeg
@spiermackay

Is this flannel, or at least a brushed wool? It looks flannel-y, but the description doesn’t say that it is.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Debating between one of two suits- the gray prince of Wales check (new, for $348) or the VBC/Neo prince of Wales check (clearance for $349). On the new model, I like the patch pockets and the slightly darker shade of gray. On the old model, I like the Neo cut/ 3/2 roll. The price is essentially the same, which leaves a not insignificant portion of my decision to fabric. I already have two VBC suits and really like the fabric, but I’ve never tried Dino Filarte. Part of me says “stick with what I know” (the VBC), the other part says try something new (DF).

I think I’m leaning towards the new model because of the darker shade of gray, but thoughts on either of these two is appreciated.
I quite like the new one. I haven't hemmed the pants yet though. I don't know about the other, but I did run into a bit different fit when I ordered a clearance item recently.

I have a question for the gallery regarding the two; I picked up a Navy Hopsack jacket from last year I assume. The inner breast pocket is really far over (feels like it's in my arm pit but obviously isn't) and the fit is a bit different as well. Would the clearance model OF mentioned have a similar build?

JFK-esque

Reaction score
Debating between one of two suits- the gray prince of Wales check (new, for $348) or the VBC/Neo prince of Wales check (clearance for $349). On the new model, I like the patch pockets, the slightly darker shade of gray, and the slightly heavier weight with 1/4 lining. On the old model, I like the Neo cut/ 3/2 roll. The price is essentially the same, which leaves a not insignificant portion of my decision to fabric. I already have two VBC suits and really like the fabric, but I’ve never tried Dino Filarte. Part of me says “stick with what I know” (the VBC), the other part says try something new (DF).

I guess what I’m asking for is thoughts on the DF fabric. I think I’m leaning towards the new model because of the darker shade of gray, but thoughts on either of these two is appreciated.
i own the vbc one and while i love it it reads a bit too light and not weather appropriate for winter in NYC. otherwise its amazing

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought that the flannel pin-stripe suits would be flying off the shelves on black friday. Did anybody purchase?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought that the flannel pin-stripe suits would be flying off the shelves on black friday. Did anybody purchase?

I like the look of the chalk stripe, but I wasn’t necessarily interested at the moment. I would’ve probably jumped at a solid flannel suit though

walkinginplace

Reaction score
So my first foray into S&M oxfords did not go well sizewise. I typically wear slim mediums or 15 in neck sizing in most brands, but the 15/33 slim OCBD was way tight. Anyone have any guidance re: sizing for someone who's about 5'10" and some change and 155ish? Probably just going to order 15.5/34 now before they sell out, but half considering going all the way up to 16/34....

Last edited:

CMAc7

Reaction score

*Raises hand

I’ve wanted a navy chalk stripe flannel for years, and with my size available at 20% off, I bit. Obviously it isn’t an everyday, or even once a week suit, but it’s certainly special. I’m sure I’ll feel like a million bucks in it the 10-15 times a year I put it on.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my first foray into S&M oxfords did not go well sizewise. I typically wear slim mediums or 15 in neck sizing in most brands, but the 15/33 slim OCBD was way tight. Anyone have any guidance re: sizing for someone who's about 5'10" and some change and 155ish? Probably just going to order 15.5/34 now before they sell out, but half considering going all the way up to 16/34....

Fwiw, I’m basically the same size (5’11”, 155, 38 chest/32 waist/15 neck/34 sleeve), and I wear a 15.5/34 in Brooks Brothers Milano fit ocbds. I’ve never bought the S&M version, but my inclination would be to size up in the neck

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

15.5/34 slim fit should work well in this case. Your neck will probably swim in the 16.

walkinginplace

Reaction score
Fwiw, I’m basically the same size (5’11”, 155, 38 chest/32 waist/15 neck/34 sleeve), and I wear a 15.5/34 in Brooks Brothers Milano fit ocbds. I’ve never bought the S&M version, but my inclination would be to size up in the neck

Appreciate the guidance. Just ordered several slim shirts at 15.5/34. A little nervous since Brooks Brothers' website lists the 15.5 Milano as having an additional inch of room in the chest over the S&M 15.5 slim fit.

feelufo

Reaction score
Interesting. I also just bought my first OCBD from SM in the same size (15/33 slim) but I’m smaller than you and found it too loose. I’m 5’8” at 135lbs. I typically wear 15/32.33 in Kamakura’s Tokyo slim fit which fits me great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads