• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

emptym

Reaction score
They stretch out of form
Thanks. That is a good concern. I did a bit of a search online and on the forum and it seems the BM stretch corduroy keeps its shape well. What types of fabric and makers have stretched out on you, if you don't mind my asking? Pants or sport coats too?
I cuff all trousers that are meant to have a crease.
+1, except for pants that I wear w/ a barong, guayabera, or Hawaiian shirt.

Cuffs make pants more casual. Just as brouging makes shoes more casual.

I think cuffing pants makes them look more finished. The additional weight can also help the legs fall more cleanly. I cuff all my flannels.

I think that cuffs can look out of place (out of style) on casual pants, like chinos, while looking stylish with more proper trousers, which then makes it seem like they are a formalizing element, but they are not.
I agree w/ you re. the history of those things. But as you allude to by bringing up chinos, I think cuffed pants, brogued shoes, and I'd add button-down collared shirts occupy an interesting middle ground. If you're used to wearing jeans or chinos, ptbs or boots, chambray or plaid flannel shirts, then cuffed pants, OCBDs, and brogued shoes seem formal.

10 is on a wider side. My J Crew cords are 14 wale.
Imo, 10 is ideal for a suit. For a SC, 8 would be my preference, fwiw.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're used to wearing jeans or chinos, ptbs or loafers, chambray or plaid flannel shirts, then cuffed pants, OCBDs, and brogued shoes seem formal.

I couldn’t agree more.

I almost made this exact statement in my post (as well as the “you won’t see a well dressed man cuffing his tuxedo trousers”), but cut myself short.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in California, in a city where it doesn't even snow, yet I purchased the polo coat just because it looks so good.

Many of us California's aren't used to the cold and complain about 60F weather so I'll use it for getting back and forth from my car in the morning and late nights.

But the last post with the picture of the green tweed jacket convinced me to grab it if it's in my size. I'll get much more use out of that.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a light grey sweat shirt, navy hoody and charcoal grey long sleeve polo. They're all fiance approved.

I don't know why but the long sleeve polo certainly fits much better than the short sleeve for me. I will hopefully update once I wash all 3 shortly. I'm throwing them in the dryer as I type this.

If I like the fit, I'll purchase more polos as my casual part of my wardrobe is severely lacking

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a light grey sweat shirt, navy hoody and charcoal grey long sleeve polo. They're all fiance approved.

I don't know why but the long sleeve polo certainly fits much better than the short sleeve for me. I will hopefully update once I wash all 3 shortly. I'm throwing them in the dryer as I type this.

If I like the fit, I'll purchase more polos as my casual part of my wardrobe is severely lacking

I picked up two of the LS polos and really like them. I'll be getting a couple more.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd have bought the rust for travel, but I am probably alone in this thread in wishing the cloth had some flecks of a different colour. The uniformity is a bit less tweedy.

ino68

Reaction score
I had to go with the classic grey for the polo coat. Damn, can't wait, and I hope it's still in stock when they actually fulfill the order, as it said limited stock for the 36.

The real sleeper is the navy tho, that one will turn heads with its texture. So, so boss.

JilSlander

Reaction score
I'm a 5'7 guy, so these S&M coats are a no go (too long).

Fantastic fabrics on the Polo Coat though. Whoa at the Rust; that's the one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads