• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have detailed sizing charts on their website. Rick is already very involved in this thread, sometimes answering questions within mere minutes. For the more common questions, the proof is usually in the pudding. In order to be helpful to you as well, I will quote the sizing chart for a Contemporary jacket in size 46 - it is 19.3 inches for the shoulders.

Ah, too small for body builders. :confused2:

DBNOJACKET

Reaction score
I'm good at hands-on jigsaw problem solving, not as experienced by judging pictures.

At first glance, if you walked into the store and I saw this, I'd say you need to hollow out the back and widen the hip. It's hard to estimate from a computer screen, but the bottom button pulling is easily measured by unbuttoning it and measuring from the button to buttonhole once resting naturally, to know how much to add to the hip; however it looks like the bottoms you're wearing are rather spacious, so I'd recommend trying them with something you'd probably wear that shirt with. Fit is acquired, and when it comes to the chest and the waist, it really depends on your personal comfort. Personally, I would recommend reducing the back panel at the waist and chest according to preference so that there doesn't seem to be so much excess fabric drooping behind the waist.

My biggest priority would be cleaning up the shoulder. The pulling at the second button is indicative that your shoulders are angled higher and are trying to naturally pull the fabric to settle properly for a shoulder profile that has not been accommodated for. Your left shoulder is squared a little higher than the right. As a result of this, it's causing all that rolling behind the collar too. If you get pictures taken of these issues, the factory can take a look to see how they may need to adjust your shoulder pattern. Once you establish a proper fitting shoulder, the rest of the shirt will be much easier to tackle.
Magnifico

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi just some fit questions as I am starting to rethink my suit size. I am 6 ft tall and most websites say anyone above 5’11 should be a long. Most of
160B2C44-F072-455B-A249-D93BE8E912DC.jpeg
7158EE02-E597-4EAC-B6F2-3C71B8699927.jpeg
my jackets are a 40 regular. I have one 40 long in a different brand and in my opinion looks a little too long. I am interested in a suit from Spier this season and just want to see if I should go for the long rather than regular. I don’t want to be that short jacket guy. The pics are the v1 neopalitan.

rc121

Reaction score
most websites say anyone above 5’11 should be a long.

I've never heard this and seems like bad advice. Really depends more on torso and arm length and chest size rather than overall height. I'm 6ft and can't imagine wearing a long in anything other than maybe suitsupply or really modern suit brands that cut really short jackets (the SS long was still too long). But that would seem to be the exception.

I guess if someone was a 38 but over 6 ft they'd probably need a long in everything, but I would assume most people over 6 ft would need larger sizes anyway that would increase the length.

rc121

Reaction score
@spiermackay any possibility of future polos in lighter weight material? Either a lighter weight cotton or maybe a cotton blend? Love the fit of the first one I've ordered but here in Arizona they are still a little heavy in the summer.

boot_owl

Reaction score
I've never heard this and seems like bad advice. Really depends more on torso and arm length and chest size rather than overall height. I'm 6ft and can't imagine wearing a long in anything other than maybe suitsupply or really modern suit brands that cut really short jackets (the SS long was still too long). But that would seem to be the exception.

I guess if someone was a 38 but over 6 ft they'd probably need a long in everything, but I would assume most people over 6 ft would need larger sizes anyway that would increase the length.

As somebody who is 6 foot and wears a 38 I can confirm that I would love a 38L

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score

Really, did you ever measure your inseam or more directly, ground to crotch? You jacket should be half of length from collar to ground. I am barely 5’8 and the measurement is 30 inches. I cannot imagine anyone who is 6 feet do not require a jacket length of more than 31

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
Hi just some fit questions as I am starting to rethink my suit size. I am 6 ft tall and most websites say anyone above 5’11 should be a long. Most of View attachment 1036110 View attachment 1036111 my jackets are a 40 regular. I have one 40 long in a different brand and in my opinion looks a little too long. I am interested in a suit from Spier this season and just want to see if I should go for the long rather than regular. I don’t want to be that short jacket guy. The pics are the v1 neopalitan.
Honestly, no one can tell based on the picture you posted. First, horizontal angle of the camera is must. Second, only looking from the back you will know whether it covers your ass. Most people don’t know whether their suits cover their ass or not. They only think that’s “okay”from the front

rc121

Reaction score
As somebody who is 6 foot and wears a 38 I can confirm that I would love a 38L
So you fit exactly what I'm saying, but the generalization that anyone over 6ft needs a long would only be a minority.
Really, did you ever measure your inseam or more directly, ground to crotch? You jacket should be half of length from collar to ground. I am barely 5’8 and the measurement is 30 inches. I cannot imagine anyone who is 6 feet do not require a jacket length of more than 31
As someone who is 6ft with a 32in inseam and wears a 42 jacket, I can confirm that my jacket is of sufficient length in regular sizing for most brands. I think you're missing the point I was trying to make. If I'm over 6 ft but wear a 42 or larger, the jacket length is going to get longer with the size. If everyone over 6 ft needed a long, then wouldn't most 44 or larger sizes be an L as standard size? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads