• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@kulata never heard of a bamboo fabric!? Interesting!

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bamboo Hopsack fabric from huddersfield.

Product: 320679

https://shop.hfwltd.com/collection/56

It's a better alternative to linen. Soft, visual interest and less wrinkles.

Whoa. As someone in hot + humid central Florida and who has a hyperactive "sweat now!" gene, I'm massively interested in this. The last time I saw bamboo as a fabric was 10+ years ago in some trousers but it had a very poly sort of quality about it, too smooth and silky to a fault. This though, as a hopsack, is quite a surprise. A number of others with patterns are very nice too.

How do you think they would work as trousers?

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kulata that jacket is obviously beautiful. Congratulations.

What lapel size did you go for? And are those inverse lapels? Also looks like you sprung for the Milanese butthole. Hell yes my friend.
They are inverse lapels. Based on the Neapolitan cut, but a longer jacket

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa. As someone in hot + humid central Florida and who has a hyperactive "sweat now!" gene, I'm massively interested in this. The last time I saw bamboo as a fabric was 10+ years ago in some trousers but it had a very poly sort of quality about it, too smooth and silky to a fault. This though, as a hopsack, is quite a surprise. A number of others with patterns are very nice too.

How do you think they would work as trousers?
A lot of great jacket bamboo fabrics but I don't think it will be good as trousers though.

DennC

Reaction score
Hello! I just want to share my recent experience with Spier & Mackay.

I purchased a Black Wool/Cashmere Topcoat in 38R from S&M early January. When it arrived, it was too tight in the chest and shoulders. When I measured the topcoat, the topcoat substantially deviated from the measurements available online. I initially wanted to exchange the topcoat for a 40R so I contacted S&M by email for a return authorization number. However, I later noticed some strange wrinkling near the shoulder seam that made me suspect that the sleeves have not been attached to the body properly. This in combination with a faux lapel buttonhole made me decide to return the topcoat.

I returned the topcoat on 1/12, after several exchange of emails with S&M in which I asked specific questions about the return process (e.g. customs and duty charges) and was given vague answers that could have been found on the S&M website. However, even though I followed all the online return instructions for US customers and paid $50 for return shipping, S&M informed me via email on 1/19 that the topcoat is being shipped back to me.

I am fully aware that S&M has stated that should they have to pay for customs, they will either turn back the item or deduct the customs fee from the refund. However, I've previously contacted S&M via email, where I was assured that they will simply deduct the customs fee from my refund.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone from S&M can help me resolve this issue.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
K
Hello! I just want to share my recent experience with Spier & Mackay.

I purchased a Black Wool/Cashmere Topcoat in 38R from S&M early January. When it arrived, it was too tight in the chest and shoulders. When I measured the topcoat, the topcoat substantially deviated from the measurements available online. I initially wanted to exchange the topcoat for a 40R so I contacted S&M by email for a return authorization number. However, I later noticed some strange wrinkling near the shoulder seam that made me suspect that the sleeves have not been attached to the body properly. This in combination with a faux lapel buttonhole made me decide to return the topcoat.

I returned the topcoat on 1/12, after several exchange of emails with S&M in which I asked specific questions about the return process (e.g. customs and duty charges) and was given vague answers that could have been found on the S&M website. However, even though I followed all the online return instructions for US customers and paid $50 for return shipping, S&M informed me via email on 1/19 that the topcoat is being shipped back to me.

I am fully aware that S&M has stated that should they have to pay for customs, they will either turn back the item or deduct the customs fee from the refund. However, I've previously contacted S&M via email, where I was assured that they will simply deduct the customs fee from my refund.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone from S&M can help me resolve this issue.

Can you pm me the order# we don't turn items back. Very rarely do we not accept the item back. It's possible the custom forms were not complete and the carrier turned it back.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Rick, are there more poplin and patterned (gingham) shirts ready to be released soon with the variable sleeve lengths? I dislike twill shirts as they are generally too hot for me and I am in some desperate need of a few gingham and patterned shirts, particularly before March.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And rough price point on the shoes, if possible?

I think shoes were going to be in the $375 CAD/ $275 USD range. Benchgrade GYW, full grain leather. I’ve only seen the old sample pics that were in the thread.

Looking forward to seeing the finished pairs.

TheVirt

Reaction score
I think shoes were going to be in the $375 CAD/ $275 USD range. Benchgrade GYW, full grain leather. I’ve only seen the old sample pics that were in the thread.

That's exciting; the Meermin store just opened in NYC, but considering the extremely high quality to price ratio that Spier offers and the prospect of supporting a local Toronto brand, I might just spring for the upcoming shoes.

djdanniedee

Reaction score

I had a chance to see the sample shoes last fall. I believe there's gonna be 3 shoes, Wingtip, captoe and wholecut(can't remember 100% on this). If my memory serves me right they're all on the same last, which was based on a C&J last I want to say but definitely don't quote me on it. They definitely look solid and would be a good option at that price point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads