• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jamie411

Reaction score
Mid-blue, light green, and brown checks in linen or linen blend for jackets. Light or Unpadded shoulders, minimal lining.

A navy windowpane suit.

literasyme

Reaction score
Any kind of linen blend without silk would be great, pure linen (perhaps an Irish Linen) would be lovely. And anything in a linen/cotton/tropical wool fabric with a not-too-loud plaid.

Kevin24

Reaction score
I had a couple of quick questions about Spier & McKay.

1) Where is most of Spier & McKay's stuff made?

2) How does anyone like the quality?

Ask as I'm thinking of getting some trousers from them but I am leery given the price.

Thanks for the replies!

literasyme

Reaction score

Why not silk?

Partly personal preference -- I don't love the shininess. But it also wears warm. It's one of the paradoxes of cloth making that summer suitings often are silk blends, even though silk is not an especially breathable fabric -- or so I'm told, at least.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Partly personal preference -- I don't love the shininess. But it also wears warm. It's one of the paradoxes of cloth making that summer suitings often are silk blends, even though silk is not an especially breathable fabric -- or so I'm told, at least.

Depends. Can be made perfectly breathable, even at 100% silk. Correct terminilogy escapes me, as English is not my native language.
As for shininess, same thing, depends on the processing.

But what is special is how it drapes, and feels.

Only drawback is, you don't want to get wet in it (stay away from rain).

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with fresco.

I would also look at Zegna mainline designs for inspiration. They nail the classic look every time, 50% of the time.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next town you visit the factory. Any chance with the new "Zegna" factory that they have ends of bolts available you could buy the left over stock. And run an MTM special (like your cloth overage) for sport coats and suits? I'd love to see some Asian market Zegna bought cloths and what that factory might have.

CMAc7

Reaction score
Any particular fabrics you guys are looking for in Spring/Summer suiting or jackets? Fabics and/or colours/patterns?

For sport coats, I would like to see branching out into more patterns, particularly windowpane and gun check. I know it wasn't a big seller, but one of my favorite items of yours that I own was this check sport coat from a few seasons back:

There are only so many blue and brown sport coats a guy can buy. (At least without igniting the full fury of the wife.) I like that the above jacket still has navy and browns for versatility, but added in the burnt orange color for a nice pop of unusual color. I would like to see some sport coats in this vein, but maybe bringing in another more rare color like olive, burgundy, ocher, etc. as a "pop" color. As an example, a Google search pulled this up from the "Articles of Style" blog/shop:

I like this from SS too:

I dunno, just "a guy who has the basics covered" thinking aloud. I get that producing something too "out there" can mean getting stuck with overstock, but maybe a small run in a fabric with a little more personality is doable.

One more thing, I think that using a lighter button shade on the spring/summer sport coats could be cool. I know SS does this on their lighter colored jackets and it gives a cool look.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Those examples are all less than desirable. I am all for gunclub though.

I think you should nail down some staple fabrics that have done well in the field that you can repeat. This goes for shirts and suits. For example, your fabled camel and light gray flannel pants that are very popular around here. I feel like there is too much variety to make an informed decision for online buyers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads