• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score

I hope the lapels aren't going too wide. I dislike 2" lapels, but at the same time I wouldn't wear 4" lapels. 3" - 3.5" is reasonable.

Anything 3-4.5" I can work with. I like the big lapels but wouldn't want an entire wardrobe comprised of that alone.

literasyme

Reaction score

It's a bit more relaxed than the suits. Similar to the SS Lazio.  The new hopsack has no shoulder pad at all.

I'm sure someone here must have one, we are almost sold out of them now.

Almost sold out of sport coats, or of the hopsack? I was going to stop by next week to have a look in person -- did they fly off the racks?

Spex

Reaction score
Almost sold out of sport coats, or of the hopsack? I was going to stop by next week to have a look in person -- did they fly off the racks?

Before the release of these hopsack sport coats, all of the other ones were old models. If you're talking about going to the downtown location, I don't think they ever brought any of those older sport coats into the store.

Rick, have you ever offered any custom shirt fabrics (or even OTR shirts) in a stripped pinpoint oxford? I had some solid PP oxford spread collar shirts made up and have decided that those will be part of my fall/winter rotation. I could used some F/W striped shirts. Thanks.

Last edited:

dappercanadian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once again, I can't speak highly enough about Spier & Mackay and their customer service.

I had a navy suit made through the MTM program last summer, but there were a couple (very) tiny issues with the fit. Namely, one of my shoulders is weird so there was a really tiny bump and the sleeves weren't set right either. The suit still fit better than anything else I own (and better than 99% of anything otr). Anyways, I decided to have another navy suit made in one of the Huddersfield fabrics (which are amazing by the way) and thought I would bring in the old jacket to show what I wanted done differently. Rick actually talked me out of having a new suit made, which was going to come out to about 1200~ with everything I wanted done (NOTE: full canvas is now an extra $150 vs the $100 it used to be). He offered to have the jacket altered for free (keep in mind I had this made a year ago!) and went in great detail about what needed to be done to fix it.

On top of that, he showed me the production sample from the new factory, and trust me - you guys are going to be SUPER pleased. I also saw the new 3/4 length over coats coming this fall, and man are they nice and a great winter weight.

I ended up buying 2 pairs of the new chinos, and again the quality is just great. I didn't like the old chinos and found them way too thin, the fit waaay too slim, and generally were just not of the best quality. These new ones are thicker and you can just tell that they're made a lot better.

All in all, Spier & Mackay continues to impress and I recommend you all to buy something if you're on the fence.

zinc2162

Reaction score
Once again, I can't speak highly enough about Spier & Mackay and their customer service.

I had a navy suit made through the MTM program last summer, but there were a couple (very) tiny issues with the fit. Namely, one of my shoulders is weird so there was a really tiny bump and the sleeves weren't set right either. The suit still fit better than anything else I own (and better than 99% of anything otr). Anyways, I decided to have another navy suit made in one of the Huddersfield fabrics (which are amazing by the way) and thought I would bring in the old jacket to show what I wanted done differently. Rick actually talked me out of having a new suit made, which was going to come out to about 1200~ with everything I wanted done (NOTE: full canvas is now an extra $150 vs the $100 it used to be). He offered to have the jacket altered for free (keep in mind I had this made a year ago!) and went in great detail about what needed to be done to fix it.

On top of that, he showed me the production sample from the new factory, and trust me - you guys are going to be SUPER pleased. I also saw the new 3/4 length over coats coming this fall, and man are they nice and a great winter weight.

I ended up buying 2 pairs of the new chinos, and again the quality is just great. I didn't like the old chinos and found them way too thin, the fit waaay too slim, and generally were just not of the best quality. These new ones are thicker and you can just tell that they're made a lot better.

All in all, Spier & Mackay continues to impress and I recommend you all to buy something if you're on the fence.
Good stuffs. Which navy did you go with? There are a couple of different shade navy/dark blue. I am still thinking which fabric to go with.

dappercanadian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good stuffs. Which navy did you go with? There are a couple of different shade navy/dark blue. I am still thinking which fabric to go with.

For the one I got last year, I just went with the fabric they use for their OTR stuff. Not sure which number I was going to go with, Rick should know. It was reallllly nice though.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My brother just picked up 7 of the old stock chinos yesterday. $10 each, crazy good. He also picked up a new stock polo and they definitely fit really nice.

Spex

Reaction score
I wear BB Extra Slim (now called Milano, I guess) in a 15.5-35, and Kamakura NY Slim in size 39-90. I've chosen Spier & Mackay size 15.5 in the Contemporary fit, but I can wear a Slim in the same size. I just prefer the less slim fit of the Contemp for my office wear. It still looks slim and tailored, just not as torso hugging. I think if you like the Tokyo Slim, then the S&M slim would probably be similar.

The Heat

Reaction score
I just received my first order from S&M (navy contemporary fit suit). Overall very pleased with the fit and materials. There are several areas with sloppy/frayed stitching however, and a strange track of indentations along the inside and edge of the left lapel (mostly covered when wearing, but not completely).
Can anyone enlighten, is this abnormal for S&M and should be exchanged, or par for the course and should be lived with or returned for refund? Thanks.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I just received my first order from S&M (navy contemporary fit suit).  Overall very pleased with the fit and materials.  There are several areas with sloppy/frayed stitching however, and a strange track of indentations along the inside and edge of the left lapel (mostly covered when wearing, but not completely).  
Can anyone enlighten, is this abnormal for S&M and should be exchanged, or par for the course and should be lived with or returned for refund?  Thanks.

Sloppy stitches is not normal at all. Send me a pm with your order number and we'll get you a return label for an exchange. The stitches under the lapel are basting stitches that are normally invisible. They should never show on the face of the jacket though. Send it back to us and we'll get you a new one.

bossman08

Reaction score

Spex

Reaction score

I notice what appears to be a box pleat in the back. Is this true? I would think most would prefer the clean look of a no-pleat back. Also, are the Casual Fit options cut shorter in the body than the dress shirts?

A box pleat traditionally accompanies a button-down collar, as both are casual options. Spread collar shirts should not have box pleats. However, I have decided that any custom button down collar shirts I order will be with a plain back, just like the older Kamakura OCBDs. I do prefer a plain back, but it's not a deal breaker if I find a button down collar casual shirt that I like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads