• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MichaelKnight

Reaction score
What's your order number?

Normally we respond within 24 hours to emails. Recently weve been incredibly flooded with the black Friday, but emails are still being answered. I'll look into this and get that sorted for you ASAP. Please pm me the order number.

Apologies for the mixup.
Received my reply shortly following and all is well. Thanks and understood re: black Friday!

Spex

Reaction score

Oh, ok, I know exactly what you are talking about. It's a very Italian look, almost like the collar angles down to the chest then out along body instead of gradually arching down.

We can do that in custom. Possibly do something like that in the future. It's just using a light, unfused collar.

From photos I've seen of your semi-spread I thought they would be like this. The Kamakura spread is spot on. I guess I'll see how the collar is once my custom shirt comes in. You should include this as an option right on your site when you get to the collar selection option while ordering custom.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
From photos I've seen of your semi-spread I thought they would be like this. The Kamakura spread is spot on. I guess I'll see how the collar is once my custom shirt comes in. You should include this as an option right on your site when you get to the collar selection option while ordering custom.

Wear it without the collar stays and you will pretty much get the same effect. It's the softness of the collar and lack of support which makes the collar sit that way.

In the future just ask for soft unfused lining in the collar.

Last edited:

Spex

Reaction score

Wear it without the collar stays and you will pretty much get the same effect. It's the softness of the collar and lack of support which makes the collar sit that way.

Ah, this is true and exactly what I do with my Van Laack shirts, which have fused collars. I also specified a slighty longer collar point with my order, which will probably help me get my desired look.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I took another look at the invoice, and it has actually been 7 weeks, my apologies (Order on October 21st). I've sent an e-mail with the order # to request an update. I was hoping this would be received before the holidays.

Can you PM the order#. I can look right now. I actually have to get on a call with the factory in about 1/2 hour.

Rick

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rick, what a class act.

Question: Are the incoming University Striped OCBDs going to be the unfused collar style or the newer lightly fused collar similar to Kamakura?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Rick, what a class act.

Question: Are the incoming University Striped OCBDs going to be the unfused collar style or the newer lightly fused collar similar to Kamakura?

I have no idea. This conversation just started today. But I've already put 4 different versions of the collar into production. They are leaving the factory tomorrow I'll have them on Monday/Tuesday here in Toronto.

1. Light fused Collar.

2. Medium fused Collar.

3. Light Unfused Collar

4. Self Fabric Lined Collar

What is your preference? But honestly, to get the same effect as Kamakura, it has to have light interlining.

jamie411

Reaction score
Rick,
I'd love it if you offered a cutaway like Kamakura does. I have a few of theirs and I'm a big fan, except the Tokyo slim is ever so slightly tight in the chest for me.

Something like this:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys lets have a vote on what we want to see going forward.

I'll let you guys decide on the collar but for the love of god I vote to get rid of the ugly center pleat. It looks "okay" when tucked in, but when untucked it looks like ****.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea. This conversation just started today. But I've already put 4 different versions of the collar into production. They are leaving the factory tomorrow I'll have them on Monday/Tuesday here in Toronto.

1. Light fused Collar.

2. Medium fused Collar.

3. Light Unfused Collar

4. Self Fabric Lined Collar

What is your preference? But honestly, to get the same effect as Kamakura, it has to have light interlining.

Is the light interlining not an option? I personally don't have much knowledge about fusing/interlining of collars. All I know is that I want my OCBDs to look good nestled underneath a sports coat or without. I think I would only rarely wear an OCBD with a tie.

However, if you really want to make things interesting, you could offer the oxford cloth with the semi-spread collar.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the future just ask for soft unfused lining in the collar.

+1
I wear all your shirts w/o collar stays (tie or no tie, but more often when I wear a tie) and I like how they softly curve down to rest on my body. It looks great and I think if people give that a shot they may get the soft look they're looking for.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads