• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW, I was in NYC yesterday and  stopped by Kamakura and had a close look at their OCBD shirts. The collars on them are fused. It's the fused structure that gives the rigid roll of the collar. Our OCBD's don't have fusing in them, which is more traditional and softer.

What is the preference?

I would say light fusing.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
FWIW, I was in NYC yesterday and stopped by Kamakura and had a close look at their OCBD shirts. The collars on them are fused. It's the fused structure that gives the rigid roll of the collar. Our OCBD's don't have fusing in them, which is more traditional and softer.

What is the preference?

Kamakura for sure. I liked yours a lot, and still do. But when worn with a tie, they lack the "magic" of a Kamakura. Kamakura is as good as it gets. No offense to your company. Your shirts appear to have a collar roll with no tie. When I wear a tie they lay flat, which is no bueno. I just am not going to wear yours with a tie. That is a bummer, but they are still a great value.

Last edited:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Kamakura for sure. I liked yours a lot, and still do. But when worn with a tie, they lack the "magic" of a Kamakura. Kamakura is as good as it gets. No offense to your company. Your shirts appear to have a collar roll with no tie. When I wear a tie they lay flat, which is no bueno. I just am not going to wear yours with a tie. That is a bummer, but they are still a great value.

The roll holds better when there is fusing to support it. Without the fusing, the collar is very soft and can't hold the roll when pulled tight with a tie. I was wondering about that, and I was finally able to confirm it yesterday. I'm going to sample one with light fusing and see how that comes out.

Johnsson

Reaction score
I'm surprised to hear Kamakuras are fused, I always thought they were just lightly lined. I don't wear ties with BD collars myself, so I prefer really light collars/cuffs/plackets on casual shirts. I do like a little bit of structure in the collar band, though. I have a couple of light madras shirts (non-S&M) that don't have any, and I think they look like hell.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
The roll holds better when there is fusing to support it. Without the fusing, the collar is very soft and can't hold the roll when pulled tight with a tie. I was wondering about that, and I was finally able to confirm it yesterday. I'm going to sample one with light fusing and see how that comes out.

I thought they advertise unfused collars. Either way, their spread and cutaway are both very light. Their cutaway is great. I like your semi-spread better than their spread though. All this stuff really comes down to personal preference. On this forum, I think you'll find most favor the Kamakura button down style. I don't know how representative of your customers that sample is, though.

EDIT: Have you guys ever thought about adding an unfused cutaway that is a little wider than your full spread? I bet it would sell very well.

Here is what the website says about their collars:
"The selection of interlining needs to be carefully considered to achieve the ideal structured yet organically flowing form. We only use non-fusible interlining, in order to achieve a natural-looking soft touch to the collars and cuffs."

Honestly, I don't really care how you get the collar roll, though. If it requires fusing, fuse away.

Last edited:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I thought they advertise unfused collars. Either way, their spread and cutaway are both very light. Their cutaway is great. I like your semi-spread better than their spread though. All this stuff really comes down to personal preference. On this forum, I think you'll find most favor the Kamakura button down style. I don't know how representative of your customers that sample is, though.

EDIT: Have you guys ever thought about adding an unfused cutaway that is a little wider than your full spread? I bet it would sell very well.

I was super surprised too. When we first made the C3-K, I bought a Royal Oxford BD from Kamakura. When we opened it in the factory, it had fusing. At first, I thought it was specific to that shirt as the fabric was a flimsy 2/100 yarn. Then yesterday, in the shop, I could definitely confirm the regular OCBD has fusing as well. I think the unfused collars are the regular spread and full spreads. If you have a BD from them, I'm sure a quick feel test of the top part of the leaf would confirm the fusing.

Have you tried our Full spread?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm surprised to hear Kamakuras are fused, I always thought they were just lightly lined. I don't wear ties with BD collars myself, so I prefer really light collars/cuffs/plackets on casual shirts. I do like a little bit of structure in the collar band, though. I have a couple of light madras shirts (non-S&M) that don't have any, and I think they look like hell.

The madras is really loose and soft cloth, the is almost no structure in the cloth itself. For next season, we will add a very light fusable to the collar to give it a tiny bit more support for the BD's.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
I was super surprised too. When we first made the C3-K, I bought a Royal Oxford BD from Kamakura. When we opened it in the factory, it had fusing. At first, I thought it was specific to that shirt as the fabric was a flimsy 2/100 yarn. Then yesterday, in the shop, I could definitely confirm the regular OCBD has fusing as well. I think the unfused collars are the regular spread and full spreads. If you have a BD from them, I'm sure a quick feel test of the top part of the leaf would confirm the fusing.

Have you tried our Full spread?

I have a couple of your full spread, I like them. The Kamakura is pretty similar in angle and collar points, but the collar is very soft and it kind of sits on the chest. Suitsupply shirts do the same thing. I'm probably one of the few on SF that really like that style of cutaway. I don't see them much on here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have a couple of your full spread, I like them. The Kamakura is pretty similar in angle and collar points, but the collar is very soft and it kind of sits on the chest. Suitsupply shirts do the same thing. I'm probably one of the few on SF that really like that style of cutaway. I don't see them much on here.

Oh, ok, I know exactly what you are talking about. It's a very Italian look, almost like the collar angles down to the chest then out along body instead of gradually arching down.

We can do that in custom. Possibly do something like that in the future. It's just using a light, unfused collar.

dopey543

Reaction score
I recently received a size 36 model 2 slim suit from you guys and i love it. However, I noticed that there's a small shoulder dimple only on my right shoulder....is the shoulder on the contemporary fit cut the same as the slim fit, or is there more width on the shoulder cap front to back which might alleviate the dimple?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I recently received a size 36 model 2 slim suit from you guys and i love it. However, I noticed that there's a small shoulder dimple only on my right shoulder....is the shoulder on the contemporary fit cut the same as the slim fit, or is there more width on the shoulder cap front to back which might alleviate the dimple?

Which suit did you pick up?. There was a tiny change to the cap from the first group to to most recent which addressed this. There is a negligible difference between the slim and contemporary in the cap.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
it was the grey herringbone suit

That is the newer group. Can you pm me a pic.

Curious about the turnaround time on custom shirts? I ordered in store about 9 weeks ago. Thanks

9 weeks? What's your order# We've been processing pretty much everything within 4 weeks for the past couple of months, with very few exceptions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads