• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sdjackofclubs

Reaction score
Oh for real? Mine have jute soles and after a couple hours walking around St. Augustine I was ready for euthanasia.
1712264294785.png
You're welcome ;-)

CLH03

Reaction score
I'm considering having an odd dinner jacket made in the burgundy Filarte fabric. I know, I know. Filarte, blah, blah. Shawl with grosgrain lapels and trimmings. Lightly padded to as per fall 2023 tux drop to give it some structure. Maybe a slightly extended shoulder. Double vents cuz I wanna be rakish and buck tradition. I have a little change to spend so this is an experiment of sorts. Anyone wanna talk me out of it or offer opinions to the contrary?

I recently received a standalone pair of black tuxedo trousers that SM executed perfectly and way ahead of estimated time, so those are what it'd be paired with.
The only problem with burgundy is if it doesn’t have enough texture/pizazz, you look like a bouncer/doorman.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, a bit of a nitpick. I was trying on my S&M shirts yesterday (I'm 16.5 slim) and noticed that the sleeves are out of balance with the body of the shirts. The sleeves are too bloomy compared to the
slimness of the rest of the shirt. My arms are about 16" un-flexed hanging straight down, so not small, and the sleeves are just huge.
This was across the board with linen and cotton/linen shirts. It appears their dress shirts arms are slightly less bloomy.

Anyone else notice this or have the same gripe?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_2521.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2521.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 272

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there… did they reply to
I'm curious if any other international customers have placed an order since they introduced the new policy for duties and taxes and the new checkout calculator that makes us pay the full amount at the time of purchase? I just placed an order, and pretty much everything was wrong. Duties were too high, taxes were too high and the handling fees were utterly ridiculous. My $144 item ended up costing me almost $300. That's about $50 more than it would have cost to have UPS handle it like before. Since they've also reduced the store credit reimbursement from 50 % to 25 %, this effectively kills the value proposition for international customers in my opinion. I've asked CS about it, so I guess we'll see how they respond.
Hi there… did they reply to you? I just bought two items (separately) and the calcs were wrong too! Should have been 0 taxes, duties, or fees, as the purchases were each under $1K AUD!

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to pile on ... well, maybe yes - to pile on.

I had set an alert for a re-stock of a sport coat, and I saw a message this morning that it was available. Yeay! I immediately clicked on the link in the message and the coat was out of stock. Either, everyone wanted that damn SC and everyone who received the alert clicked and bought it (unlikely) or they just effed up.

I know. First world problems, but annoying, nevertheless.

poroto

Reaction score
OK, a bit of a nitpick. I was trying on my S&M shirts yesterday (I'm 16.5 slim) and noticed that the sleeves are out of balance with the body of the shirts. The sleeves are too bloomy compared to the
slimness of the rest of the shirt. My arms are about 16" un-flexed hanging straight down, so not small, and the sleeves are just huge.
This was across the board with linen and cotton/linen shirts. It appears their dress shirts arms are slightly less bloomy.

Anyone else notice this or have the same gripe?
Yes. I generally wear a 16 slim these days, and it's varied from fabric to fabric and dress to sport shirt, but the sleeves always seem a little too big given the other dimensions of the shirt.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soludos don’t have a leather pad on the footbed making them quickly uncomfortable if you walk a bit longer than a few mins in them. So might be an improvement and more similar to Castaner. My main gripe with canvas espadrilles is that they wear out really quick at the front for me (big big toe pumching through…)
View attachment 2161175

These I would buy. And maybe I will even though they just look like Soludos with the Soludos tag removed and a Spier & Mackay logo added on the inside. But I guess all espadrilles just look like Soludos.

sdjackofclubs

Reaction score
Not to pile on ... well, maybe yes - to pile on.

I had set an alert for a re-stock of a sport coat, and I saw a message this morning that it was available. Yeay! I immediately clicked on the link in the message and the coat was out of stock. Either, everyone wanted that damn SC and everyone who received the alert clicked and bought it (unlikely) or they just effed up.

I know. First world problems, but annoying, nevertheless.
They may be having website issues. I just tried to place an order for a pair of the new espadrilles and an older Final Sale pair of pants. I got an international transaction alert on my cc, but no email confirming the order. I go back to the site, and the wheel of death is there - still processing. Seemed weird. So, I open a new tab go back to the website, and my shopping cart still has the shoes, but the trousers are gone. I check my cc website, and the charges have been reversed. So I find the pants again, add them back to the cart and try again. Same issue. Same results. I tried calling their "customer service" line, and there's no answer.

Anyway, it could all be related. OR it's possible the pants were not actually available anymore, but hadn't been updated on the website (even though it showed there were still 3 pairs remaining in my size.) I don't know - something weird is going on with this company.

UPDATE: It may have been my issue with PayPal and my credit card. Not entirely sure. But still...

Last edited:

blewnote1

Reaction score
If you live in New Orleans, nothing will work for you. Best you can do is some lightweight open weave high twist fabric in an unconstructed jacket in light colors

Yes, my favorite jacket to wear in the summer is the VBC mesh from a couple summers ago (also the completely unstructured DiFabio from last summer) with a polo or short sleeve linen shirt and high twist trousers. But if I'm gonna wear a suit, high twist like these both are (the Clissold and Minnis Fresco-lite) is the way to go.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Thoughts on the Mock Leno that just got added? Have they ever ran this before? If so does anyone have any experience?
Yes I have the mock leno from SS21 I think. It's in the Fresco bunch- the weave is somewhat coarser than the other frescos. It's pretty much the platonic ideal for a summer blazer imo. Very breezy, drapes well, barely wrinkles- it's a good piece. Sadly I don't fit mine anymore.

Last edited:

CLH03

Reaction score
Thoughts on the Mock Leno that just got added? Have they ever ran this before? If so does anyone have any experience?
Minnis’ Mock Leno is probably my absolute favorite hopsack/open weave blazer fabric I’ve ever had. Drapes so nicely and absolutely does not wrinkle. At $450, that is a very good value.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics