• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At an appointment and thought this showed the Blackwatch tartan colors nicely.

IMG_7520.jpeg
image.jpg

St1X

Reaction score
Any folks here have experience with the waxed jackets? Interested in one, though unsure about sizing and whether it’s worth it for the price.
I like mine a lot. Sizing wise I need a suit jacket in size 38 Slim and for the waxed jackets I need 38 too

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Any folks here have experience with the waxed jackets? Interested in one, though unsure about sizing and whether it’s worth it for the price.

I got one and really like it. I am between a L and XL on their outerwear (I'm a 43L in Spier sportcoats) and L was def the right choice on me. First got the XL and exchanged it. The pit to pit is quite a bit bigger than the listed chest measurements. IIRC, XL is like 26" pit-to-pit...I could measure my L if needed. The sleeves wear a lot longer than the listed sleeve measurements suggest (the listed measurements are rather short).

Most annoying thing about it - the vest liner doesn't fasten in so great, so when you are putting it on it is easy to not have your arms going in the liner arm holes correctly. You'll know right away when this happens as the liner is all bound up behind your back. I've always hated removable liners in jackets. I guess I could take out the vest liner, but I also want max warmth so I don't.

Other than the liner issue, the construction and all the materials are great...nothing feels cheap at all. The wax coating is very agreeable. I've heard they can smell weird and this has no smell to it and feels extremely dry...doesn't really seem like a "coating" much at all. Comparatively, I had a waxed LL Bean jacket years ago that was a little nasty in this respect; the S&M waxed shell is much nicer than that Bean one.

Aesthetically, I didn't like the two chest pockets and felt like it made the jacket too "aggressive" looking or something... taking away from the english country charm of a Barbour. This feeling was validated when I saw that Drakes sells a similar waxed jacket with only one chest pocket. So I removed one of the chest pockets with a seam ripper. There is slight ghost marks from the stitching, but not bad at all. Much less obvious than I've seen on other types of fabrics when you remove a seam.

Style and weather wise, it perfectly filled a true need I had in my wardrobe, transitional in formaility up to a biz-cas level and warm enough for quite chilly but not totally freezing temps.

Last edited:

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have many S&M outerwear pieces and I'm consistently either XXL or 48 (Just check to see if they are supposed to fit over tailoring. As expected, the XXL's that are more geared toward tailoring are better for me as the XXL is really a 46) in all of them. The waxed jacket has a zip out vest so it can range a number of different temperatures. It's my go to on cool/cold rainy days as it's my only water-resistant jacket.

dench127

Reaction score
Anyone know if it's possible to MTO shirts in the Ivy config? (the collar, button on back of collar, locker loop)
Seems like the collar is called 'C27' but isnt available in the MTO UI

wesporep

Reaction score
Was wondering how S&M sportcoats fit for smaller guys? I'm a 34 in most jackets, and am 5 foot 8/120 pounds. Want to give S&M a go but am worried about the fit before I purchase.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9023-TDB1_-Model.jpg

Who thought this image was a good idea? Jacket looks nice, but the styling is absolutely awful.
For me it highlights the problem with DB's.
I currently own 3 and love them all (buttoned) but they just don't hang well when unbuttoned.
In regard to S&M now using models or what appears to be AI generated models, I could do without.

milktoast

Reaction score
Appreciate the input gents - @St1X , @alkydrinker & @Genericuser1.
This helps to bring some clarity with sizing. I wanted to avoid the scenario where I either ordered two sizes or ordered the wrong one and then had to ship it back. The liner issue seems a bit silly in that it's something they should've noticed in production. Of course, it's not a complete deal-killer for me here.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
I want more sack jackets. Somebody get in Rick's ear about that.
The one weird thing about the sack jacket (there was only ever one sack i think?), was they made all the pockets smaller.

I actually kinda liked the smaller chest pocket at first and had a custom SC done asking for the pockets from the sack jacket. However, what I didn't realize from the sack pics online was the lower hip patch pockets are smaller too, which I think look weird and don't reflect any vintage ivy tailoring that I've ever seen. I wish I'd just opted for the normal pockets on that SC I had made.

Do you like the smaller pockets?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads