• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, it's nice that SM is taking pictures of the actual products. A step in the right direction. Second, regarding the ill fit of the trousers, we all here should get used to not being the core buyers of SM. These images aren't for us. It's for the CM-unaware pleb that is deciding between SM and Moores or your local mall men's shop that still carries a fused suit that either makes them look like a linebacker or a corporate shill.
No need to be a snide dingleberry just because the normies aren't quite as neurotic about silly little clothes as we all are :rotflmao:

SpallaPerfetta

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Guabello 120 fabrics particular the connoisseur line? I found a SM jacket in this cloth gently used like new online for a great price but wondering if there’s a reason it’s so inexpensive or if I just found a good deal.

CLH03

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Guabello 120 fabrics particular the connoisseur line? I found a SM jacket in this cloth gently used like new online for a great price but wondering if there’s a reason it’s so inexpensive or if I just found a good deal.
Nothing special about Guabello. Kinda crummy, honestly. When you compare it to the 100’s of other “Italian” options out there, you can do so much better.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, it's nice that SM is taking pictures of the actual products. A step in the right direction. Second, regarding the ill fit of the trousers, we all here should get used to not being the core buyers of SM. These images aren't for us. It's for the CM-unaware pleb that is deciding between SM and Moores or your local mall men's shop that still carries a fused suit that either makes them look like a linebacker or a corporate shill.
What does fused mean? Is it the cousin of 1/2 canvas? Both contain glue?

I love Styleforum!!

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to try their new t shirt release. I bought the first run a few years ago and it was pretty terrible. But these look promising

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to try their new t shirt release. I bought the first run a few years ago and it was pretty terrible. But these look promising
I might give them a shot too...
I was underwhelmed by the fit on some Gustins I ordered.
I have a couple of Huckberry's Proof 72 hour merino tees and they are completely awesome.
They are also $88 bucks a pop.

WaIIace

Reaction score
Want to try the high rise chinos but I see that they do not offer a "true" khaki color, only the dusted khaki. Is dusted khaki a good option too?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Want to try the high rise chinos but I see that they do not offer a "true" khaki color, only the dusted khaki. Is dusted khaki a good option too?
I had dusted khaki at one point and they were a very light beige. If you’re looking for a true khaki colour, I’d pass

WaIIace

Reaction score
I had dusted khaki at one point and they were a very light beige. If you’re looking for a true khaki colour, I’d pass
Thank you. Maybe anyone knows where one can get high rise true khaki trousers at a similar price point? (and quality)

tmckay2

Reaction score
Their chinos kind of irritate me because I like them but they'll have some colors in one type and not in another so you gind one you like but it's in the paper or light weight version instead of regular.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well…that’s a shame. Note these model shots are static. Lord knows what they look like in motion. @Betelgeuse @wilcthree @dapperclassic and several other chaps look great in their S&M trousers. How they accomplish this is not always obvious, but they do.

I will personally never by a pair of pants if the model wearing them has pocket flare. It’s an issue I struggle with in regards to pants. If the company can’t make their pants look good given all their resources, what hope is there for me?

Many companies (who will not be named) make their pants look good. I know as a thicker thighed gentleman I won’t look as good or feel as good if I wore them, but at least the photos give me hope.
IIRC, Betel and Wil have relatively lean legs?

@dapperclassic I think is one with thick thighs. IIRC, I'm not sure his trousers are even S&M?

I'd be curious to know what he wears ITT.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New linen POW shirt

fullsizeoutput_241e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_241d.jpeg

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes technically two. If I wore braces I wouldn't need the waist taken in at all. As others have said the cut just doesn't account for bigger thighs- which I never really thought I had but they're bigger than the body type their trousers are made for.
Do their trousers have buttons for braces? None of my SM pants do.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Received my recent MTM order for a green Harris Tweed herringbone I tried to style in an ivy look. Here is the configuration & customizations:
- Neapolitan, Low Gorge, Narrow (3.5") lapels (Maybe the first person to ever do a low gorge with narrow lapels combo?)
- Add flaps to hip patch pockets
- Add swelled edges
- Only two buttons total on each sleeve (functional), with a space between them
- No spalla camicia at shoulder >> however, this was not honored; jacket has shirring at the sleeve head, maybe they can't do a neapolitan without that feature?
- Size is 43 Long, only difference from default measurements is shortened sleeves.

Background: I previously did two different MTM SCs with the same 43L measurements as this tweed, which turned out great. However they were using the standard SC block. I tried this neapolitan specifically to get a lower gorge (I really dislike a high gorge).

Thoughts on fit: Jacket wears slimmer and shorter than I expected, moreso than the same measurements on the standard SC block. Some of the slimness could be from the thickness of harris tweed fabric. But also, the Neapolitan cut has a higher button point and more open quarters, which I think gives the sense of a shorter jacket due the large open triangle under the middle button. The pics probably exaggerate this aspect due to the sagging jeans as well as the jacket lifted due to holding up my phone, but still, it's an issue I don't love. Makes it feel slightly 2010s slim fit, which is not what I'm going for. (Maybe I could let out the waist 0.75" or finally lose those 6-7lbs, it might help the quarters sit more full/closed.) If I did another neapolitian, I'd lengthen it a little and add a bit more space in the waist.

Thoughts on style: The body fit of the neapolitan block really doesn't translate to a Brook Brothers/Southwick ivy look. But that's fine, I kinda predicted that might be the case and my goal wasn't some exact repro of vintage. I just wanted certain ivy features in a jacket that fits nice overall. Wish they were able to honor my request for no spalla camicia, but that's still not even a huge deal for me. I think I am in the minority on SF for liking the standard SC block better than neapolitan...I guess my ideal would be a standard SC low gorge option. However, the main ivy styling points were a success...I like the lapels (gorge height is perfect IMO, and still not particularly low by historical norms, 3.5" width, and swelled edges), the two buttons on sleeve were executed well, and hip patch pockets with flaps look good.

Attachments

• GreenHarris3.jpg
    GreenHarris3.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 150
  • GreenHarris4.jpg
    GreenHarris4.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 156
  • GreenHarris5.jpg
    GreenHarris5.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 155
  • GreenHarris2.jpg
    GreenHarris2.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 171
  • GreenHarris1.jpg
    GreenHarris1.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics