• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think most of us ITT do actually look this bad when we wear S&M trousers.

One thing I've learned on CM is 99% of us post in robo-pose. That's not a good representation of reality.

Take one step mid-stride and take a photo: that's how we're seen the vast majority of the time: in motion.

I did that once with my S&M fits, and I looked like the models in the product photos. That's when I realized I just look like the average suit guy downtown I probably critiqued like 8 years ago in my head.
Well…that’s a shame. Note these model shots are static. Lord knows what they look like in motion. @Betelgeuse @wilcthree @dapperclassic and several other chaps look great in their S&M trousers. How they accomplish this is not always obvious, but they do.

I will personally never by a pair of pants if the model wearing them has pocket flare. It’s an issue I struggle with in regards to pants. If the company can’t make their pants look good given all their resources, what hope is there for me?

Many companies (who will not be named) make their pants look good. I know as a thicker thighed gentleman I won’t look as good or feel as good if I wore them, but at least the photos give me hope.

tmckay2

Reaction score
Honestly I love the fit of their trousers... after I size up and have the waist taken in.
Are you sizing up one size or technically two? Like from a 32 to 34 or a 32 to 33? I ask because some of the pants don't offer odd sizes. Maybe that's why the slims fit me at 32, technically I'm a 31 waist.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Are you sizing up one size or technically two? Like from a 32 to 34 or a 32 to 33? I ask because some of the pants don't offer odd sizes. Maybe that's why the slims fit me at 32, technically I'm a 31 waist.
Yes technically two. If I wore braces I wouldn't need the waist taken in at all. As others have said the cut just doesn't account for bigger thighs- which I never really thought I had but they're bigger than the body type their trousers are made for.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am a true 30” waist . The contemporary cut in 30 does not work for me with a 7.5” hem opening. Barely enough seam inlay to get to 7.75”. Going up to size 32 means having to reduce the waist by over 3”, which doesn’t work well.

I don’t begrudge people the slim cut if that works for them. But IMO the contemporary is too close in cut to the slim. I’ve basically sold or am trying to sell all of my S&M suits because I’ve come to the realization that the trousers will never work for my build.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This guy can't sit down without the trouser inseam completely splitting his nads and showing them off to the entire world.

And I'm not even sure there's enough room in the thigh to let him lift his leg further than he is already.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but, at the same time, I venture this is more or less what the bulk of Spier's clientele is after, looks wise.

For the most part, I have a good sense of how Spier's trousers fit at this point (excluding whatever unmentioned minor changes have been made to the block lol), so "fit pics" don't amount to much of anything for me, good or bad though I may find them

lindenbaum

Reaction score
This is a comparison between 32 slim and contemporary. I had to reduce about an inch on the seat for contemporary because I virtually don’t have a hip. :(

However, a half inch difference in the hem openings makes a big difference below knees.

The irony is the contemporary looks better in the picture but the slim is praised more by ladies. lol

1707685202.14745.jpeg

1707598232.240573.jpeg

Last edited:

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well…that’s a shame. Note these model shots are static. Lord knows what they look like in motion. @Betelgeuse @wilcthree @dapperclassic and several other chaps look great in their S&M trousers. How they accomplish this is not always obvious, but they do.

I will personally never by a pair of pants if the model wearing them has pocket flare. It’s an issue I struggle with in regards to pants. If the company can’t make their pants look good given all their resources, what hope is there for me?

Many companies (who will not be named) make their pants look good. I know as a thicker thighed gentleman I won’t look as good or feel as good if I wore them, but at least the photos give me hope.
Many thanks, good sir! I was actually reflecting on this a bit over the weekend, as I took the Spier tux for a spin at a costume party. I sat, danced, crossed my legs, and moved with much ease, all with the drape of the pants intact. I'd consider getting another pair of formal trousers via MTM/MTO if the fabric was available to do it.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing some 5 pocket cords recently and I'm noticing a significant twist in the seams. More prevalent on the left leg than the right. Anyone else noticed something similar?

I mean it doesn't really matter as I'm not likely to buy anymore S&M pants unless there is a significant change in cut but still a bit irritating.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a comparison between 32 slim and contemporary. I had to reduce about an inch on the seat for contemporary because I virtually don’t have a hip. :(

However, a half inch difference in the hem openings makes a big difference below knees.

The irony is the contemporary looks better in the picture but the slim is praised more by ladies. lol

View attachment 2130125

View attachment 2130123
I think the first is a better fit in the SC

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think these shots highlight how poorly the trousers fit. The models look uncomfortable and awkward to me. Many of you on this thread look much better in your S&M trousers after sizing up and hitting the tailor. I imagine some people like their pants to fit this way, but this is big red flag for me. Not encouraging.
Pant fit has a lot to do with body type. Someone with a big caboose and thick thighs would definitely need contemporary at a minimum and perhaps size up.

I have purchased both slim and contemporary.
I would add that men with a sizeable derriere will get pocket flair in any sort of slim style pant. I don't fall into that category although i could definitely use some more size on my backside. Genetics make it difficult but i try.

Last edited:

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This guy can't sit down without the trouser inseam completely splitting his nads and showing them off to the entire world.

And I'm not even sure there's enough room in the thigh to let him lift his leg further than he is already.

First, it's nice that SM is taking pictures of the actual products. A step in the right direction. Second, regarding the ill fit of the trousers, we all here should get used to not being the core buyers of SM. These images aren't for us. It's for the CM-unaware pleb that is deciding between SM and Moores or your local mall men's shop that still carries a fused suit that either makes them look like a linebacker or a corporate shill.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads