• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

naixium

Reaction score
Only just started getting into neckties. Probably would have started sooner if I knew how much there was to enjoy about them.
20240116-133846.jpg

S&M emerald linen jacket and spread collar shirt.

20240116-175200.jpg

S&M dark brown flannel and white/light blue butcher stripe shirt

Silk "yves saint laurent cravate" tie from a local second hand shop for a few bucks

Last edited:

Simon Chambers

Reaction score
Just got the Light Grey Flannel sport jacket. I ordered 38R Contemporary as opposed to 38S I normally order in Neo cut. Is this too long? 38S in normal cut would be too short in my experience.

View attachment 2111983
View attachment 2111985
View attachment 2111987

The body length looks perfect to me. The sleeves maybe just a hair too long. I'd have my shirt coming to about that length, and would want my jacket about 1cm shorter so you can see the ends of the sleeves.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely not too long

The body length looks perfect to me. The sleeves maybe just a hair too long. I'd have my shirt coming to about that length, and would want my jacket about 1cm shorter so you can see the ends of the sleeves.
Thank you. The back feels fine but something about the front that makes it feel long to me. Perhaps I'm used to the jacket ending at the middle of my thumb not half in longer or so.

Simon Chambers

Reaction score
Thank you. The back feels fine but something about the front that makes it feel long to me. Perhaps I'm used to the jacket ending at the middle of my thumb not half in longer or so.
Middle of the thumb is where it "should" hit from what I learned, but I don't think that looks too long to me. The lengths are a bit aritrary anyways as people's arms are different lengths. The back covers your backside, which, to me, is the main thing in a jacket :)

JTrent82

Reaction score
I kind of wish people would stop using the "rule of thumb" because it messed my fit up for a while. People have different relative arm lengths. The important thing is that the jacket covers your rear.

schraiber

Reaction score
I kind of wish people would stop using the "rule of thumb" because it messed my fit up for a while. People have different relative arm lengths. The important thing is that the jacket covers your rear.
Yeah I have short arms and legs, so the "rule of thumb" is miserable for me (it makes for a VERY short jacket). The problem arises though that because I have short legs, too, a jacket that covers my butt ends up looking a bit top heavy. I just don't really have a great body for OTR tailoring, I think.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might have the dark gray/charcoal from a couple of seasons ago available for sale. Fabric is from Zanieri. Size is 42. Let me know if you're interested. I'll decide whether to sell or keep within weeks. Just waiting for another coat to arrive before I decide on whether to keep this one. View attachment 2109535

I'm gonna look to sell mine, too. The placement of the belt over the pockets is such an annoyance I can't bear with it anymore. No idea how this got past any QA. I truly hope none of the recent belted balmacaans have this issue.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna look to sell mine, too. The placement of the belt over the pockets is such an annoyance I can't bear with it anymore. No idea how this got past any QA. I truly hope none of the recent belted balmacaans have this issue.
Honestly, that is a non issue for me. It's the style for me. I'm not sure the balmacaan fits my personal style. Otherwise, I think it's a great coat.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On the latest season models, the belt loops are positioned above the pockets so this issue appears to be resolved. I’m not sure if they raised the belt, or lowered the pockets. If the former, then that could be a relatively easy fix for yours.

C_kimlin920

Reaction score
@dapperclassic any on body pics?

For the Balmacaan owners, how do you like it? I know the belt is for the look, but Im not sure if I would use it much.. Anyone remove the belt, and does it look odd/noticeable with the belt loop on the side/back? Has anyone tried moving the belt loops?

Thanks!

1705437736452.png

Last edited:

C_kimlin920

Reaction score
No fit pics yet sorry, but will try and get at the weekend. removing the belt loops should be easy with a seam ripper, due to the nature of the tweed it won’t leave any marks.
awesome, glad to hear. Do you plan on keeping it with the belt?

Thank you for the reply and hopefully a fit pic soon!

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For the Balmacaan owners, how do you like it? I know the belt is for the look, but Im not sure if I would use it much.. Anyone remove the belt, and does it look odd/noticeable with the belt loop on the side/back? Has anyone tried moving the belt loops?

Thanks!

View attachment 2112475
I tie my belt at the back, hence why the belt vs pocket issue doesn't bother me. The clean silhouette sans belt looks better to me. The belted look is just too IG looking to my eye. Almost looks like you're wearing a bath robe.

greigescale

Reaction score

Thanks!
Here are some pics I took when I was trying it on.

I'm 5'4 and this was 40S.

I ended up returning it primarily because it was darker than I would have liked. Though the lighting in the pics is a little dim, to my eye it's a more accurate representation of the color than the product page.

Attachments

• 1705443263896.jpeg
    1705443263896.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 278
  • 1705443271672.jpeg
    1705443271672.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 305

C_kimlin920

Reaction score
Here are some pics I took when I was trying it on.

I'm 5'4 and this was 40S.

I ended up returning it primarily because it was darker than I would have liked. Though the lighting in the pics is a little dim, to my eye it's a more accurate representation of the color than the product page.
Bummer that you didn’t like the color, it looks great on you! Thanks for the photos, it helps a lot.

Did you take your normal sport jacket size?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads