• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who may be interested in the denim suit from Spier & Mackay. I am still deciding whether I keep or return it. It seems too casual for my work environment but CAD 360 (including tax) is unbeatable! The pants show the real color better.

View attachment 2107113

Ah, the tailored version of the Canadian tuxedo.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone managed to get the weight of the fabric for this Ulster coat from S&M? https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/navy-heavy-twill---ulster-coat-8167-ulst
I will not buy a winter overcoat without knowing the fabric weight
Screenshot_20240108_195004_edit_156643882918283.jpg

Literally the post after mine above and the second after your question.
Screenshot_20240108_195034_com.android.chrome_edit_156742582960456.jpg

jsong812

Reaction score
So is the general consensus for the Ulster is to size up even though the website states to take your normal size? I'm a 38contemporary in my SC and ordered the 38 (40 wasn't available).

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got some of the recent batch of chinos in from the Boxing Day sale.

Unfortunately, the 30 Slim is tighter in the waist and just as slim as my 30 Extra Slim. Going to send them back and try a 31 Slim I think…

Otherwise, some great picks for the discount provided.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought you are talking about the herringbone from M&E one
I have another overcoat in that fabric, so I am interested specifically in a navy cloth
Both posts are about the navy RTW Ulster.

St1X

Reaction score
I am going to US for work and so I plan to buy a bunch of items from S&M as my local taxes are 40%.
I estimate to spend 1500-2000$
Are there any taxes applicable in this case since all items are dispatched from Canada?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CLH03

Reaction score
I am going to US for work and so I plan to buy a bunch of items from S&M as my local taxes are 40%.
I estimate to spend 1500-2000$
Are there any taxes applicable in this case since all items are dispatched from Canada?
I haven’t paid taxes on any orders, and I live in the US. Depending on where you’re shipping them to though, shipping costs might be pretty pricey.

St1X

Reaction score
I haven’t paid taxes on any orders, and I live in the US. Depending on where you’re shipping them to though, shipping costs might be pretty pricey.
I think US has 800$ as a tax free limit, but I don't know if it applies to Canada. I'll be in NC which has 4.75% sales tax, is it charged somehow? I plan to buy some items in multiple sizes and then return those that didn't fit.
S&M offers free shipping to US on orders above 100$

CLH03

Reaction score
I think US has 800$ as a tax free limit, but I don't know if it applies to Canada. I'll be in NC which has 4.75% sales tax, is it charged somehow? I plan to buy some items in multiple sizes and then return those that didn't fit.
Not sure on that $800 limit my orders never exceeded that

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct, imports under $800 are not subject to customs duties. You may want/need to split your orders accordingly. Should be no sales taxes.

capablebedroom

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on sizing for the new double-breasted belted overcoat, which appears to have the same measurements as the balmacaans? My normal sport coat size is 42R and I have a 34 inch sleeve. Size 42 has a 32.3 inch raglan sleeve, which I think would be too small, but I'm wondering if sizing up to 44 might be too large in the waist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads