• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shortlefty

Reaction score
I know the quest cotton pants (high rise side tabs) say dry clean only, but has anyone seen success with machine wash and hang dry? Any significant shrinkage?

Hovi

Reaction score
Sorry to say that but S&M jeans aren't cut for your physique. I'm 6' 155 lbs and I find them way too tight fitting. I just gave up on their jeans and went with a good old pair of 501.
Not just jeans, this issue also plagues the trousers. Maybe slightly less aggressively cut than the jeans.

Is that just on jeans or with their regular pants as well?

I have a pair of contemporary cut trousers that are still cut comically small in the thighs for a contemporary cut (up 2 sizes for my standard trousers size). So, yes. Less of big deal having to tailor trousers but the value isn't there for the casual pants.

I'm just avoiding anything bottoms-related from them from now on and would probably recommend the same for anyone who steps into a squat rack more than once a month. I'd love for someone from S&M to revisit how they're designing the contemporary cuts and if they do I'll gladly give it a go again.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTO No. 2 made up using a sample cut of Marling & Evans cloth that I picked up when I visited the mill last May. 50% shetland 50% lambswool, 320gms

Neo cut, extended, roped shoulder, half canvas, swelled edges and slightly lowered button stance from RTW specs.

IMG_8726.jpg
IMG_8727.jpg
IMG_8709.jpg
IMG_8708.jpg
IMG_8707.jpg

Last edited:

tmckay2

Reaction score
Not just jeans, this issue also plagues the trousers. Maybe slightly less aggressively cut than the jeans.

I have a pair of contemporary cut trousers that are still cut comically small in the thighs for a contemporary cut (up 2 sizes for my standard trousers size). So, yes. Less of big deal having to tailor trousers but the value isn't there for the casual pants.

I'm just avoiding anything bottoms-related from them from now on and would probably recommend the same for anyone who steps into a squat rack more than once a month. I'd love for someone from S&M to revisit how they're designing the contemporary cuts and if they do I'll gladly give it a go again.

That's kind of hard for me to wrap my head around. I feel like my proportions are pretty average, 5'9 155lbs, 3 sport athlete through high school, lift 4 times per week, cardio twice per week, never skip leg day, do squats, deadlifts and leg press weekly with progressive overload. Now granted my family doesn't come from thick legs naturally, but I definitely have some muscle on them and a slim 32 fits me fine.

To be fair to spier, it's nearly impossible to make a fit that's going to cover everybody, they're are so many idiosyncrasies to every body where calves to thighs to hips to waist just aren't proportional for whatever reason.

I was just curious is jeans were some super abnormal fit or something.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's kind of hard for me to wrap my head around. I feel like my proportions are pretty average, 5'9 155lbs, 3 sport athlete through high school, lift 4 times per week, cardio twice per week, never skip leg day, do squats, deadlifts and leg press weekly with progressive overload. Now granted my family doesn't come from thick legs naturally, but I definitely have some muscle on them and a slim 32 fits me fine.

To be fair to spier, it's nearly impossible to make a fit that's going to cover everybody, they're are so many idiosyncrasies to every body where calves to thighs to hips to waist just aren't proportional for whatever reason.

I was just curious is jeans were some super abnormal fit or something.
Not to say your experience is wrong, but I'd be curious to see a fit pic, if you have any handy (apologies if you've posted prior).

Comfort is obviously subjectibe, and I've zero experience with slim trews to speak, but I definitely find the fabric on my contemporary trews straining at the thighs the instant I'm not standing erect

tmckay2

Reaction score
Not to say your experience is wrong, but I'd be curious to see a fit pic, if you have any handy (apologies if you've posted prior).

Comfort is obviously subjectibe, and I've zero experience with slim trews to speak, but I definitely find the fabric on my contemporary trews straining at the thighs the instant I'm not standing erect
Agreed comfort is subjective, but in my opinion the pants should be able to drape off the legs when standing, meaning not bulging anywhere, then when sitting should be snug but not feeling like they're about to burst. To me you want everything as form fitting as possible without any noticeable straining in the fabric. That won't always make it THE most comfortable clothing, but for dress clothes it's a compromise.

Now for jeans, thats a different story. For me, I've had to go with brands that have some stretch in the jeans in order to get a fitted but flexible feel as I do out comfort over style in jeans and other casual pants.

lostlostlost

Reaction score
Yes, that is yet another annoyance from S&M as they used to include the season in the item code.
However, you can find most if not all items released FW23 under the New Arrivals > Trousers & Shorts section and just scroll down until you hit the obvious summer items (shorts, linen, etc).
HR01 is S&M high-rise cut you'll see it in the item code of every high-rise trousers regardless of the season.
Thank you @SteveMc!

capablebedroom

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased the double-breasted belted overcoat yet? How is the wool-cashmere blend’s weight? It looks as if it has the same dimensions as the balmacaan; would people suggest sizing up or go true to size for layering? I’m trying to decide whether I should return the navy M&E ulster & get this instead since it might be more practical with the warmer winters we've been having of late. https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/navy---double-breast-belted-overcoat-8755-boc1
Another, unrelated question—is there any way to search the website only for suits with high rise trousers? Do only the "Neo cut" suits come with high rise trousers? The regular rises seem quite low.

Attachments

• SpierAndMackayFW23_L1782560-585_53599-t-1.jpg
    SpierAndMackayFW23_L1782560-585_53599-t-1.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Help a brother out: y'all have any photos of the C-13 shirt collar (tied up or open neck) floating about the internets?

CLH03

Reaction score
Help a brother out: y'all have any photos of the C-13 shirt collar (tied up or open neck) floating about the internets?
It’s big. It’s wide. The collar stays suck, I would remove them immediately.

Attachments

• 55757CF9-6F73-4116-86A5-5CDEAB1BAE1D.jpeg
    55757CF9-6F73-4116-86A5-5CDEAB1BAE1D.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 40B6A9C0-BEF7-4CBD-BC72-647F4A8F7B65.jpeg
    40B6A9C0-BEF7-4CBD-BC72-647F4A8F7B65.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 94E2E5F0-25C0-4912-A5FC-8D8E569E4B9C.jpeg
    94E2E5F0-25C0-4912-A5FC-8D8E569E4B9C.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 101

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?