• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is not available anyways. I will just wait and get a proper navy high twist when it becomes available again unless someone has one in 42R contemporary/slim or 40R contemporary available. From this years.
Not my size, unfortunately. Or else, I might've had something in 40R slim. Good luck!

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not my size, unfortunately. Or else, I might've had something in 40R slim. Good luck!
Yeah I was before the pandemic but bulking up some during the last few years has pushed me up. I can get by without much layers in a 40 contemporary but truly a 42 is better on top. My waist is still 33-34 so a descent drop. I think the wife will appreciate it better after 40 lol

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was before the pandemic but bulking up some during the last few years has pushed me up. I can get by without much layers in a 40 contemporary but truly a 42 is better on top. My waist is still 33-34 so a descent drop. I think the wife will appreciate it better after 40 lol
WL like...
little-giants-muscles.gif

hysteria

Reaction score
They're back in stock.

I've already got 2 of them in green and brown lol.
Really struggling to justify buying 3 of the same item.
My closet now seems to only have shawl cardigans and turtlenecks, which are becoming hard to wear considering weather hasn't been warm enough to wear them w/o a jacket outside and not cold enough to wear them under a coat outside.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, with the necessary caveats that I'm not going to be measuring anything and that this is neither commendation nor critique...I think Spier's sizing is past years was either wrong, or they've significantly altered the fit of their shirts.

Finally broke out my new contemporary shirts (gambled on them due to the Giro Inglese being OOS in slim), and they feel mighty similar to my slim shirts of past years, whereas, as mentioned previously, my slim shirts from this past year are SLIM/very close in feel to the Extra Slim shirts I tried out initially from Spier.

With the recognition that this is hardly definitive, they feel like what I think of as slim.

They do still have some of the Giros (blue and white) in their "classic" sizing, so may be worth a try for comparison sake.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've already got 2 of them in green and brown lol.
Really struggling to justify buying 3 of the same item.
My closet now seems to only have shawl cardigans and turtlenecks, which are becoming hard to wear considering weather hasn't been warm enough to wear them w/o a jacket outside and not cold enough to wear them under a coat outside.
Have you considered a vest on top?

carterneeld

Reaction score
Fit pics of the navy Harris Tweed MTO. Standard cut with wider lapel, 3r2, swelled edge, extended and roped shoulder

I've been thinking about this jacket since you posted and even asked you a few questions on IG last night. I do have a few more though:

- What size lapel did you end up going with?
- Do you know if it's possible to specificy specific back and front lengths with the Spier MTO process (ie, 31" back 32" front length)?
- Do you end up going full canvas on your MTO orders or stick with the half canvas?
- It's very hard to see via the Spier website what the difference between the standard cut and the normal sportcoat cut are other than maybe more open quarters? Can you elaborate?

I have Rick checking on two specific HWF Alsport & Abraham Moon swatches for me, and hoping that I'll be wearing one of them come mid-February.

Also, it wasn't until you posted the pics of the standard that I realized it's actually the belly on the lapel that I don't care for as much--you learn something new every day!

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Ok, with the necessary caveats that I'm not going to be measuring anything and that this is neither commendation nor critique...I think Spier's sizing is past years was either wrong, or they've significantly altered the fit of their shirts.

Finally broke out my new contemporary shirts (gambled on them due to the Giro Inglese being OOS in slim), and they feel mighty similar to my slim shirts of past years, whereas, as mentioned previously, my slim shirts from this past year are SLIM/very close in feel to the Extra Slim shirts I tried out initially from Spier.

With the recognition that this is hardly definitive, they feel like what I think of as slim.

They do still have some of the Giros (blue and white) in their "classic" sizing, so may be worth a try for comparison sake.

I just received my Giro Inglese shirts in my usual Contemporary fit, and in my view these fit me TTS - same as S&M Contemporary shirts of the past couple of years. No noticeable difference to me. These are quite nice too!

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this jacket since you posted and even asked you a few questions on IG last night. I do have a few more though:

- What size lapel did you end up going with?
- Do you know if it's possible to specificy specific back and front lengths with the Spier MTO process (ie, 31" back 32" front length)?
- Do you end up going full canvas on your MTO orders or stick with the half canvas?
- It's very hard to see via the Spier website what the difference between the standard cut and the normal sportcoat cut are other than maybe more open quarters? Can you elaborate?

I have Rick checking on two specific HWF Alsport & Abraham Moon swatches for me, and hoping that I'll be wearing one of them come mid-February.

Also, it wasn't until you posted the pics of the standard that I realized it's actually the belly on the lapel that I don't care for as much--you learn something new every day!

What size lapel did you end up going with?
10cm

Not sure on this - for in store MTM then I believe it is possible, but for MTO then it is just the back length.

For heavy tweeds, full canvas is an unnecessary cost IMO and I don't believe you would see any tangible benefit. For lightweight cloths, then full canvas would be the preference.

Less belly, almost flat although the inner curve on the Neo cut lapel was flattened a little from FW22 onwards.

Zaxxon8

Reaction score
How long does SM typically take to ship items? I ordered an off the rack Ulster on like Monday and it has yet to ship.

Amazon has spoiled me so much.....

SteveMc

Reaction score
I am looking to try a pair of this updated cut but can’t figure out what was released in FW23.

How do you guys tell when the trousers were released?

I used to be able to tell when they said “FW22” etc. on the item code. Are the updated FW23 ones the ones that say “HR01” in the item code?
Yes, that is yet another annoyance from S&M as they used to include the season in the item code.
However, you can find most if not all items released FW23 under the New Arrivals > Trousers & Shorts section and just scroll down until you hit the obvious summer items (shorts, linen, etc).
HR01 is S&M high-rise cut you'll see it in the item code of every high-rise trousers regardless of the season.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its the kettlebell life mang. That and lifting kids.
Proper technique is a must for the little dump trucks. I'm "strong" by any reasonable metric, and my arms would be screaming after a few minutes trying to carry/hold my nieces/nephews back in the day.

Thankfully they're now all at the early teen stage of life (exponentially more insane in the age of the Swifty) and all I need to carry is a wallet when on chauffeur duty.
How long does SM typically take to ship items? I ordered an off the rack Ulster on like Monday and it has yet to ship.

Amazon has spoiled me so much.....
Mostly tongue in cheek, but still...
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads