• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

osw880

Reaction score
Both looks great. it depends on what look you are trying to achieve. Between the 2, I choose 38. I like the length better, and I prefer jackets more loose. few years ago, I would have chosen 36 but style evolves with time. By the way, I have the same jacket and it is fantastic for the winter.
Couldn’t agree more. I used to like more “fitting” jackets and suits, and now I really appreciate the “comfort” these days.

Thanks for sharing your input here. Greatly appreciate it

ClothGolem

Reaction score
Light Brown Herringbone - Hunting Jacket
6238--.jpg

Looks great IRL
20230921_140356.jpg

Ortip

Reaction score
Both looks great. it depends on what look you are trying to achieve. Between the 2, I choose 38. I like the length better, and I prefer jackets more loose. few years ago, I would have chosen 36 but style evolves with time. By the way, I have the same jacket and it is fantastic for the winter.
I also got the same jacket and went a little boxy. Love the fabric, but I'm having trouble picking the right trousers. Not necessarily in color (navy, grey, and stone all seem to go well) but more in silhouette.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also got the same jacket and went a little boxy. Love the fabric, but I'm having trouble picking the right trousers. Not necessarily in color (navy, grey, and stone all seem to go well) but more in silhouette.
I would match the fit. If the jacket is a little roomier use a less trim fitting trouser. However that could vary from person to person depending on their physique. What you do not want to do is make yourself look un proportional. You do not want to make skinny legs look even skinnier under a roomy jacket.

For a skinny leg person contemporary may look fuller like the 38 jacket and slim fit more modern to your 36 jacket.

classicoutfits

Reaction score

I have worn it with sm charcoal vbc flannel and stone covert. Both pleated and high rise. I can send pictures next time I wear them (still kinda hot in here). I thought they looked great lol

Corson

Reaction score
I am usually in between 36 and 38, so decided to buy both sizes. 36 is little snug and 38 is perhaps too roomy. I’d greatly appreciate your comments on sizing and alterations if needed. Thx!
Based on the photos, 38 is your size. AFAIK classic fit means the jackets do not sit close to your torso but float some 1/2 inch from it.

Last edited:

St1X

Reaction score
I'd go with 36 but let out the mid-section a touch.
This! 36 is better as it has a higher arm hole. As soon as you'll put your hand on your waist forming 90 degrees at the elbow and elbow pointing to the side, you'll clearly see which one is better for you. Plus you have enough fabric reserve to let it out on the back

reidrothchild

Reaction score
In browsing the knitwear sale this long-sleeved polo caught my eye. Does anyone own it who can offer a review? I've gone back on forth on it; it feels like an item I really like the look of on a website but will seldom wear.

View attachment 2031751
I own this one and the grey-and-white stripe version and get quite a bit of wear out of them. I was a bit nervous about the Johnny collar/lack of buttons, but it doesn't hang open deep enough to show my (substantial) chest hair. Same (nice) cotton and (slim) fit as the short sleeve versions. I'm 5'11-6'0, 210 lbs and took the XXL. I've probably worn mine 20 or so times and laundered 10 or so times, with no issues. The only potential negative to this particular color scheme is that someone at the office always thinks they're being clever and original by making some joke about how I'm dressed like a French sailor or something.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Has Spier and Mackay done any shetland sweaters in the past, and, if so, what's the quality we can expect? $88 seems too good to be true for the ones on preorder right now.
They did a run of shetland sweaters last year that got very good reviews here. They also sold out very fast. Unfortunately, I missed out on them personally.
Last year they were not brushed. This year the solids are brushed, which I'm personally not that into, making me double sad that I didn't hop on one last year.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a definitive assessment, but, in giving another SM linen shirt its first wear, I feel quite confident saying their linen shirtings from S/S are demonstrably smaller than previous years.

If I'm not mistaken, I do believe there was some agitating here (maybe 2 years back or so) about linen shirtings being dramatically oversized compared to cotton?

Entirely speculative, but curious if SM recalibrated anything to account for it, or if this is a wonky one off for the season's batch.

Really hoping the latter, because these suckers are slimmer by a decent amount than the extra slim I had from however many years ago.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a definitive assessment, but, in giving another SM linen shirt its first wear, I feel quite confident saying their linen shirtings from S/S are demonstrably smaller than previous years.

If I'm not mistaken, I do believe there was some agitating here (maybe 2 years back or so) about linen shirtings being dramatically oversized compared to cotton?

Entirely speculative, but curious if SM recalibrated anything to account for it, or if this is a wonky one off for the season's batch.

Really hoping the latter, because these suckers are slimmer by a decent amount than the extra slim I had from however many years ago.
I bought a popover this year and it seems to fit OK, so maybe they're a bit trimmer. I do have a linen shirt from a few years back that I thought was too big.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads