• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

taargus_taargus

Reaction score
I had better luck with the contemporary fit for the 2-year wash denim (no stretch). While I can't say they are skinny, they are definitely slim and the hem opening is about 14" compared to the advertised 15.1".
The off-white pair I got same size in contemporary was downright skinny and was promptly returned.
Update on the stretch denim. I exchanged the slim fit for the contemporary but it looks like the hem opening is only 13" - over an inch smaller than what was advertised on the size chart. This makes them skinnier than my levis 502 which I am looking to upgrade from. I really like the material and the selvedge look, so it's disappointing. I may give the non-stretch denim an opportunity in the future, but not right now.

JayDee90

Reaction score
That's probably one of the best-executed MTOs I've seen from Spier. Bravo. I might have to use those requests at some point.
Just to ensure I am not misrepresenting my experience..this was in-store MTM and not online MTO. There are limitations with the latter however I believe Rick has worked to bring more and more customization to the MTO offering (via things like detailed notes).

Mr. Spectre

Reaction score

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Just to ensure I am not misrepresenting my experience..this was in-store MTM and not online MTO. There are limitations with the latter however I believe Rick has worked to bring more and more customization to the MTO offering (via things like detailed notes).
Understood. But knowing they CAN accommodate such things in the notes is a pretty big deal. Realistically, they need to do a massive overhaul to the MTO section to let people know what can be done, what options are out there, etc.

Smarter_than_Casual

Reaction score

I'd be in as well. Even for two potentially.
Char Navy Tweed from Fox.
Also consider the Dark Brown Twill Tweed and the Rosewood Brown Herringbone. By far the best browns for tweeds out there. Very dark and cold, with red undertones. Not as rust/chocolate as most others on the market, so quite a nice change.

Nelton

Reaction score
My first S&M haul just arrived and I’m even treating you to a picture of my face to show how happy I am with the brown suit! I think it fits pretty well out of the box, I may need to sort the back out a little and trousers need letting out (always an issue for me as I am a 4 drop instead of the usual 6!)

This is the Tobacco Seersucker Neo Cut in a 36 contemporary

IMG_5159.jpeg
IMG_5160.jpeg
IMG_5164.jpeg
IMG_5161.jpeg

Next up is the sage cotton chinos high rise in a slim fit (they didn’t have contemporary), interestingly the waist definitely feels tighter/almost too snug at a 32 which is rare for me. I’ll get them with a cuff I think… what do you think of the fit? I really like the colour and will go well with the oatmeal S&M blazer i got recently and haven’t worn yet.

IMG_5172.jpeg
IMG_5173.jpeg
IMG_5174.jpeg

Finally, I got these dark green high twist high rise in contemporary, they feel nice and airy and drape nicely. They are certainly roomier than I am accustomed to but will see what they look like once hemmed. Not sure if I should get them cuffed or not, thoughts please?

IMG_5169.jpeg
img_5170-jpeg.2026813
IMG_5171.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5170.jpeg
    IMG_5170.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 553

MrFingers

Reaction score
@ericgereghty @Meanie @Smarter_than_Casual @Mr. Spectre @Bogdan DSA @classicoutfits

Folks, if you all have instagram, please message Rick regarding the fox navy cloth. I know @DonRaphael and I have brought it up to him he’s open to the idea but it’s always the cost that makes him doubtful. If you don’t have instagram, just like this comment (and anyone else that’s interested) and I’ll forward the message. The more the merrier but we all need to voice our opinions.

blewnote1

Reaction score
My first S&M haul just arrived and I’m even treating you to a picture of my face to show how happy I am with the brown suit! I think it fits pretty well out of the box, I may need to sort the back out a little and trousers need letting out (always an issue for me as I am a 4 drop instead of the usual 6!)

This is the Tobacco Seersucker Neo Cut in a 36 contemporary

View attachment 2026785 View attachment 2026787 View attachment 2026789 View attachment 2026791

Next up is the sage cotton chinos high rise in a slim fit (they didn’t have contemporary), interestingly the waist definitely feels tighter/almost too snug at a 32 which is rare for me. I’ll get them with a cuff I think… what do you think of the fit? I really like the colour and will go well with the oatmeal S&M blazer i got recently and haven’t worn yet.

View attachment 2026805 View attachment 2026807 View attachment 2026809

Finally, I got these dark green high twist high rise in contemporary, they feel nice and airy and drape nicely. They are certainly roomier than I am accustomed to but will see what they look like once hemmed. Not sure if I should get them cuffed or not, thoughts please?

View attachment 2026811
img_5170-jpeg.2026813
View attachment 2026815

I'd be curious to see you in the next size up for a suit. It looks like the issues with the coat might have been solved with a more generous waist, and that would put you at a standard drop 6 for the trousers.

The dark green high twist look great, much nicer fit than the sage cotton, imo.

Enjoy your haul!

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious to see you in the next size up for a suit. It looks like the issues with the coat might have been solved with a more generous waist, and that would put you at a standard drop 6 for the trousers.

Enjoy your haul!

What He Said, Size-Up And Comtp Trousers... :cool:

SteveMc

Reaction score
Update on the stretch denim. I exchanged the slim fit for the contemporary but it looks like the hem opening is only 13" - over an inch smaller than what was advertised on the size chart. This makes them skinnier than my levis 502 which I am looking to upgrade from. I really like the material and the selvedge look, so it's disappointing. I may give the non-stretch denim an opportunity in the future, but not right now.

Thanks for the update. Looks like it's a pass for me.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Nelton First off I want to say I love all the colors. I was checking out that seersucker too but I am on the fence between that and full linen.

Enjoy your haul!

I would agree with the others and likely I am in the same boat between 40R Comp and either 42R slim or Comp. Below is my example that is similar. Oatmeal is 40R and the green is 42L. Ignore the total length on L as it is too long albeit close.

IMG_1532.jpeg
IMG_1531.jpeg
IMG_1530.jpeg
IMG_1527.jpeg
IMG_1526.jpeg
IMG_1528.jpeg

SuaveStyle

Reaction score
I just got mine today. Pretty nice, a bit lightweight.

The cuffs are ridiculously small though - tight even for a dress shirt, let alone an overshirt.

Guess I'll just wear the cuffs unbuttoned or figure some way around it.
Re: Moon buffalo check over shirt
I second this. Not as heavy as you would think, and the cuffs are strangely tight, I cannot comfortably leave them buttoned. I would also say it doesn’t seem to run much larger in size than the corresponding SC size imo. If you plan on wearing heavier layers under it I would consider sizing up if your SC size is snug. Every outerwear item I have gotten in the last year is tighter fitting across the chest for me for some reason, and this is the same. I still really like it though and kept it in the olive

Nelton

Reaction score

Enjoy your haul!

@Nelton First off I want to say I love all the colors. I was checking out that seersucker too but I am on the fence between that and full linen.

I would agree with the others and likely I am in the same boat between 40R Comp and either 42R slim or Comp. Below is my example that is similar. Oatmeal is 40R and the green is 42L. Ignore the total length on L as it is too long albeit close.

View attachment 2027233 View attachment 2027235 View attachment 2027237 View attachment 2027239 View attachment 2027241 View attachment 2027243
Thanks @blewnote1, @1st Step @WoolyLamb I fear the 38 would have required shoulder surgery but maybe I can try on my next order. I have a 36 slim (see below) which has a tidier back but a bit of a flare problem I am hoping a good tailor can get the seersucker jacket where it needs to be but I have always struggled with the 36/38 conundrum.
F0561AF9-AC0F-4766-9FE8-919257AEB6A1.jpeg
C0B04E4E-0D55-4E0C-84B9-94625463B7DC.jpeg

I have to say I’m a little disappointed with the chinos, there is a fair bit of pocket flare and they are not particularly comfortable. I think if I were in Canada or the US I’d send them back but as I’m down under I’ll see if I can get a tailor to let out the seat and see if that helps. They were only $70 so not the end of the world if I can’t make them work

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrandonEM